RIP Liam Treadwell

Comrade 86

Journeyman jockey, most famous for winning the Grand National on the Venetia Williams trained Mon Mome at 100/1, has been found dead at his home. Widely regarded as one of the weighing room's real gents, Liam had had his ups and downs over the years and will be sadly missed by national hunt racing fans. Had the pleasure to chat to him a few days after his Cheltenham Festival win on Carrickboy back in 2013 and he was an incredibly humble and friendly chap with a willing smile. Such a shame. At 34 years of age, he's been taken far too soon.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Real shame, has suffered from depression for some time but seemed well enough from his recent social media posts.

I think NH jockeys are the most underrated of sportsmen, turning out 7 days a week for 7 rides a day, 52 weeks a year while maintaining a regime that sees them both light enough and strong enough to compete in a very crowded field must be both mentally and physically exhausting.

I've always thought they could move the minimum weight up a good few pounds without making the sport any less enthralling, but much more accessible and healthy to its participant's.

Both mentally and physically.

9 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Real shame, has suffered from depression for some time but seemed well enough from his recent social media posts.

I think NH jockeys are the most underrated of sportsmen, turning out 7 days a week for 7 rides a day, 52 weeks a year while maintaining a regime that sees them both light enough and strong enough to compete in a very crowded field must be both mentally and physically exhausting.

I've always thought they could move the minimum weight up a good few pounds without making the sport any less enthralling, but much more accessible and healthy to its participant's.

Both mentally and physically.

Not sure how you can use the words jockey and sportsman in the same sentence. They only have to sit there.

I wouldn't call sitting on a desk chair a sport but it's pretty similar.

Archived