Huddlestone

Seaside Ram

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2020/06/contracts-update-june-2020

Tom Huddlestone

Talks have been ongoing in recent weeks between the club and representatives of Tom Huddlestone.

Neither a temporary nor a permanent agreement could be reached to extend his contract beyond the end of June at this time.

Given Huddlestone’s long-standing history with Derby County and his contribution both on and off the pitch, the club continues to remain in dialogue with the player and his representatives with the hope of coming to an agreement for him to remain with the club longer-term.

Shocked that we haven’t at least come to a temporary agreement for Huddlestone to stay until the end of this season. With Bielik injured, it only takes a couple of midfield injuries and we would need him starting - and that’s not to mention that with the new 5 subs rule he would be very useful to have off the bench anyway. 

Interestingly though, that last sentence seems to point towards the club wanting him to stay in some sort of coaching capacity - which is what Huddlestone was reported to want. It wouldn’t surprise me if he’s given a 2 year deal with the first year mainly as a player, and the second mainly as a coach.

1 hour ago, Rampage said:

If Rooney gets injured, Hudd's is the old head replacement. If we get promoted, Rooney could sign for another year.

But we don’t need an old head replacement.

We’ve got shinnie to chase dogs; And evans can look a bit like max bird from a long way away; that’ll do until the return of el albino.

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Shocked that we haven’t at least come to a temporary agreement for Huddlestone to stay until the end of this season.....

Suggests that he's linked the extension to his requirements for a new contract (i.e. I'll stay but only if you give me X more years). If that is the case, then he's welcome to pack his things next week....we've been held to ransom too many times over the years to allow a squad player (and that's all he'll be) to dictate terms.

Agreed. I'd be very disappointed in this if we go beyond end of season. Just not needed.  Its arguable we dont even ned him now.  The lack of mobility is just not acceptable, even as back up. Shinnie and Bird seems to work.  Bielik is not yet a CB and showed promise at DM. Plus Evans.  So how much back up can we need next year? Ridiculous.

3 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Suggests that he's linked the extension to his requirements for a new contract (i.e. I'll stay but only if you give me X more years). If that is the case, then he's welcome to pack his things next week....we've been held to ransom too many times over the years to allow a squad player (and that's all he'll be) to dictate terms.

Maybe so, but there’s also the possibility that if it’s a Coaching contract, it will be more difficult to negotiate anyway.

30 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

Agreed. I'd be very disappointed in this if we go beyond end of season. Just not needed.  Its arguable we dont even ned him now.  The lack of mobility is just not acceptable, even as back up. Shinnie and Bird seems to work.  Bielik is not yet a CB and showed promise at DM. Plus Evans.  So how much back up can we need next year? Ridiculous.

He has never had mobility but managed to carve out a premier league and international career.

4 hours ago, RamNut said:

But we don’t need an old head replacement.

We’ve got shinnie to chase dogs; And evans can look a bit like max bird from a long way away; that’ll do until the return of el albino.

Cocu seems to have a different view, however, Ramnut. Hudd's can pass accurately up to 40 metres.

You don't hear the word "deadwood" much on this forum anymore. Used to be used a lot. I'm not saying Tom is deadwood, he's a great player. I just realised I haven't seen that word for while. Does that mean we've got rid of all the deadwood now?

11 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Cocu seems to have a different view, however, Ramnut. Hudd's can pass accurately up to 40 metres.

Sidewards.

1 hour ago, Pastinaak said:

You don't hear the word "deadwood" much on this forum anymore. Used to be used a lot. I'm not saying Tom is deadwood, he's a great player. I just realised I haven't seen that word for while. Does that mean we've got rid of all the deadwood now?

Now Anya is gone the closest we have is Malone and Jozefzoon. 

Archived