Huddlestone

Seaside Ram

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he’s been a decent signing overall. Was good in Rowett’s side that got into the play offs. Played very well for Lampard in the good run before Christmas. Is past his best and we have better now so would release though, I agree. 

With all the focus on Sibley and the best prospects ever produced by the academy. Huddlestone has to be up there. He’s had a very good career, mostly in the top flight. A joy to watch on occasions and one of the best passes of a ball of recent years. 

Huddlestone is still a good player at this level imo. Not at the same level as Bird and Rooney of course, but he’s still a more than capable backup - and we know how important backup is in CDM after our injury troubles there in recent years. 

With the financial impact of COVID on the transfer market, I think giving Huddlestone a new short term deal is a sensible move. It may prove more difficult than usual to replace him if we did let him go at the end of his current deal. Besides, I get the feeling we want his next deal to place him in more of a player-coach capacity, so we wouldn’t be paying him loads to just sit on the bench. He’d provide decent cover in case of injury to Bird, Rooney or Shinnie - all whilst also working with Cocu as part of his back room team. Seems a win-win to me given Cocu seems to rate Huddlestone so they probably see the game in a similar fashion.

I wasn't sure about bringing him in three years ago, so wouldn't be fussed to give him another contract now.  Games in this league aren't slow enough for the time he takes to use the ball. I think if your at the stage of  missing 8 months of football with an injury caused by taking a penalty, a two year contract requests a bit ambitious as well.

As always, depends on the terms as much as anything.

If it's very cheap because he's good to have around as an older pro and the occasional start when needed, sure.

If it's a big chunk o the superstar wages, then no. And not for 2 years. At this point I'd be relatively relaxed about sending him on his way. He's not been bad for £2m was it we paid Hull?

Had a good first season back. I also suspect the new deal offered was more to do with FFP than anything - we very rarely let anyone go for free on the end of a contract without extending them first and giving them away. 

We’ve been a much much better team with Bird than him playing. He’s too slow, has no pace or agility and lacks range to cover defensively. In possession, he has vision and control, but again, slows the play down far too much. We look better when we play with tempo, and that is the exact opposite of Huddlestone in every way. 

For what it’s worth, Cocu said it was down to fitness after an injury. So don’t read too much into him not being in the squad on Saturday. 

Sith Happens

I would keep him, I am sure if we do it will be on the right contract for both. For what we paid 79 appearances is not bad, its not like he is going to slow down either.

His absence from the squad may be an indicator, and perhaps a positive one in respect of Martin.

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, Srg said:

Had a good first season back. I also suspect the new deal offered was more to do with FFP than anything - we very rarely let anyone go for free on the end of a contract without extending them first and giving them away. 

We’ve been a much much better team with Bird than him playing. He’s too slow, has no pace or agility and lacks range to cover defensively. In possession, he has vision and control, but again, slows the play down far too much. We look better when we play with tempo, and that is the exact opposite of Huddlestone in every way. 

For what it’s worth, Cocu said it was down to fitness after an injury. So don’t read too much into him not being in the squad on Saturday. 

Just now, Paul71 said:

I would keep him, I am sure if we do it will be on the right contract for both. For what we paid 79 appearances is not bad, its not like he is going to slow down either.

His absence from the squad may be an indicator, and perhaps a positive one in respect of Martin.

Well that answers me than ?

Bird, Bielik, Evans, Shinnie can all play DM so we have enough depth. However, it will take Bielik a while to recover from his injury, Evans is injury prone and Shinnie is best in a slightly more advanced role so I can see the rationale behind offering him an extra year. He's a good character and pro to have in the building for these young lads to be around too. I'd hope by the end of next season, Bielik's fully fit and the likes of JBrown and Thompson are ready to be the squad fillers instead of Evans and Hudd, but that may be slightly optimistic. 1 year plus optional extension would be the ideal situation for me.

I can’t think of Huddlestone without thinking of him taking & sharing the infamous Joiners video. We don’t need players like that.

i can’t think of old Spaghetti legs Malone without picturing him passed out at the Joiners either.

be happy to see them both go 

I’d let him go.

He doesn’t want to be a reserve at his age. And I suspect we still need to cut the wages.

Archived