Live football thread.

Rev

7 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Villa are doing well and the momentum from surviving on the last day of last season has clearly carried over.

I am delighted for Dean Smith. He deserves all the plaudits he is getting. But let’s be realistic here, the moment results start to turn, Villa fans will be against Dean Smith once again.

A lot of them believe they have a divine right to being a top half Premier League team and many of them look down on Dean Smith, especially when clubs of a similar size have world class managers like Mourinho and Ancelotti at the helm.

Villa fans think they are a bigger club than what they are , doing well at the moment and Barkley looks an inspired signing but like you say a couple of defeats and Smiths bubble will burst with some fans

41 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Villa fans think they are a bigger club than what they are , doing well at the moment and Barkley looks an inspired signing but like you say a couple of defeats and Smiths bubble will burst with some fans

Without wanting to merge to threads this is exactly what is wrong with the premier league thinking that there is a “big 6”.... villa ARE a much bigger club that Spurs, MUCH bigger... but because of Sky spouting crap all the time and only the Premier League mattering there is an impression by some fans that Villa are not a huge club and Spurs ARE.....? 

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

Without wanting to merge to threads this is exactly what is wrong with the premier league thinking that there is a “big 6”.... villa ARE a much bigger club that Spurs, MUCH bigger... but because of Sky spouting crap all the time and only the Premier League mattering there is an impression by some fans that Villa are not a huge club and Spurs ARE.....? 

They're called the "big 6" as they're the who are competing for Europe every season - and who happen to be the 6 clubs with the largest revenue. Figures for 18/19 are:

1. Man Utd - £602m
2. Man City - £535m
3. Liverpool - £533m
4. Spurs - £461m
5. Chelsea - £424m
6. Arsenal - £363m

There's a massive gap between them and 7th biggest. West Ham are next with £191m, then Everton (£188m), Leicester (£178m), Newcastle (£176m), Wolves (172m). With PL money, Leeds will be roughly level with Leicester.

59 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

They're called the "big 6" as they're the who are competing for Europe every season - and who happen to be the 6 clubs with the largest revenue. Figures for 18/19 are:

1. Man Utd - £602m
2. Man City - £535m
3. Liverpool - £533m
4. Spurs - £461m
5. Chelsea - £424m
6. Arsenal - £363m

There's a massive gap between them and 7th biggest. West Ham are next with £191m, then Everton (£188m), Leicester (£178m), Newcastle (£176m), Wolves (172m). With PL money, Leeds will be roughly level with Leicester.

AND.....?

Why does how many shirts a club sells and how much money they drag in from having an official noodle sponsor matter...?!?!?

And just so you know.... only 3 of those clubs have ever won the European cup....... where as Villa have won it once (the same as Chelsea) and our good friends Nottingham Forest have won it TWICE only 1 less than the mighty Manchester United....

Barrow, Shrewsbury, Belper Town, Derby County, Leicester City, Riddings Rovers and all the other teams you can think of have all won it the same amount of times as Tottenham, Manchester City and Arsenal.....so the only reason they aren't BIG clubs is because some Chinese noodle company isn't paying them 300m to be their official noodle partner..?!?

After watching the first 25 mins of Leeds v Wolves tonight the success of Leeds' attacking play seems blindingly obvious.

In the attacking 1/3 or when breaking they look to play passes into space in-between or past defenders, and not to feet. Attackers can then run on to the ball and cut it back or pass quickly. Defenders find it confusing and it's a better way of getting past them and a decent attack on.

I see Bielsa's tub has sold out and now has advertising on it. Disappointing. 

2 hours ago, WestKentRam said:

After watching the first 25 mins of Leeds v Wolves tonight the success of Leeds' attacking play seems blindingly obvious.

In the attacking 1/3 or when breaking they look to play passes into space in-between or past defenders, and not to feet. Attackers can then run on to the ball and cut it back or pass quickly. Defenders find it confusing and it's a better way of getting past them and a decent attack on.

I see Bielsa's tub has sold out and now has advertising on it. Disappointing. 

It’s quite revolutionary, I believe it’s what’s known as a ‘through ball’. I remember the burton to do it on FIFA 98, but I don’t think it caught on. 

9 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

It’s quite revolutionary, I believe it’s what’s known as a ‘through ball’. I remember the burton to do it on FIFA 98, but I don’t think it caught on. 

It struck me that that was what they were trying to do to form their attacks as their modus operandi. Instead of one pass being on to the attacker's feet with his back to goal that we do and the difficulties causing a threat from here, there are at least two options into space.

Those up front run around a lot not necessarily to receive the ball but to make space for potential passes. There's none of this pass it out to the marked full back to pass it back inside sideways, backwards. And then the Leeds defenders press with energy. It needs a fit team who can run around all match and aren't playing walking football. Hey presto. I give you Leeds United's Bielsaball miracle.

13 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

First none Derby game I've properly watched, Christ it's dull.

I watched A decent amount of the top division games this weekend, including all of the Everton v whoever they played game, sheff utd v Fulham, palace v Brighton and Leeds v wolves (All for free over here might I add) and all I came away thinking was how far away from all of those teams we were in terms of quality, speed, ability etc etc.....miles away. 

5 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I watched A decent amount of the top division games this weekend, including all of the Everton v whoever they played game, sheff utd v Fulham, palace v Brighton and Leeds v wolves (All for free over here might I add) and all I came away thinking was how far away from all of those teams we were in terms of quality, speed, ability etc etc.....miles away. 

Yeah there's a big gap, even to Leeds. 

Particularly in pace and power.

2 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Yeah there's a big gap, even to Leeds. 

Particularly in pace and power.

I thought the Leeds Wolves game was particularly evident on how far away we are from that standard....there was some football played there that we cant even dream about....the goal that was disallowed was superb... and as you say the pace and power would just blow us away....loved Wolves kit too...funny that they have just gone all out and got a Portugal kit now too!