Live football thread.

Rev

7 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Technically the officials are part of the VAR system and it was VAR that called the offside....

The video provides the information then it's down to the officials to interpret the details - that's where issues usually arise. Why Michael Oliver didn't check the pitch-side monitor I don't know - there's an argument to be made for all referrals to go to the on-field referee for a final decision.

There is no one on here that is in any doubt about my hatred for all things red on merseyside....but even I know that should have been allowed...disgraceful decision... I mean, funny as all hell, but wrong. 

there could have been 4 or 5 red cards....how Mane stays on the pitch is beyond me...

pickford with the save of the season....and then he lets the off side goal bounce off him.  

great game....only surpassed by the teddy bears winning at the pig sty!!! 

6 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

The video provides the information then it's down to the officials to interpret the details - that's where issues usually arise. Why Michael Oliver didn't check the pitch-side monitor I don't know - there's an argument to be made for all referrals to go to the on-field referee for a final decision.

I'm not disagreeing with that, but when you say VAR isn't the problem you're wrong. The VAR system has to include a human element who are still getting things wrong and therefore discrediting the system and also the sport. In addition the current application of VAR has taken the spontaneity and joy out of the game and is almost making it pointless to watch 'live' games. May as well find out the results and wait to watch the highlights.....

The only way to fix it is to hand back control to the on-field Ref and let him not only make the final decision as you suggest, but to also let him decide when he needs help with a decision rather than have some remote buffoon sending messages to the earpiece. Refs now have a 'get out of jail free' card where they can simply say 'VAR told me....' with no accountability held by the man supposedly in charge of the game....

4 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Because VAR is an absolute joke run by absolute clowns.... it’s pathetic.. not one person on the pitch complained about the goal, no one thought it was offside and It isn’t... poor poor Liverpool...

In fairness i dont have much sympathy for clubs on the end of wrong decisions. They have been berating referees for years off tha back of slow mo replays that you have to watch no end of times to determine if the ref with his one view got right or not.

But yeah it is a joke...should be simple, if its obvious quickly, within seconds, that the decision was wrong then fine...if it takes more than 30 seconds its not obvious.