Live football thread.

Rev

Iceland is 2-0 up against Romania at halftime, in a game that decides which team plays Bulgaria or Hungary for a place in the main competition.  It's only on radio here (damn you useless RUV) but the naturally biased commentator claims that Iceland is by far the better team so far.  Gylfi with both goals.

3 minutes ago, ramit said:

Iceland is 2-0 up against Romania at halftime, in a game that decides which team plays Bulgaria or Hungary for a place in the main competition.  It's only on radio here (damn you useless RUV) but the naturally biased commentator claims that Iceland is by far the better team so far.  Gylfi with both goals.

Excellent news Ramit.....the vikings taking it to the Romans with a few Bulgars to look forward to.......?

4 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Excellent news Ramit.....the vikings taking it to the Romans with a few Bulgars to look forward to.......?

Which reminds me, i need to eat, am so Hungary that i'm almost Bulgaria

i'll get my coat, because i'm so Chile i'm almost Peru

Edited by ramit

19 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Hehe, it was a bit dull until the goal.

Grealish dug a good cross out and nodded home by the man that can't stop scoring at the moment ?

And it is again! Calvert-Lewin is one big unit. Needs better support I think.

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

OMG... the absolute worst thing about no crowds is the england team and manager attempting to 'sing' the national anthem.

I am genuinely scarred ?

I swear Giggs was miming the Welsh anthem.

Calvert-Lewin been the high point of a pretty insipid England performance.  Don't know how some of the others have got caps to be honest.

No idea what Southgate is trying to do now tbh 

When he first started, it seemed to be about pathways from the youth through to the senior squad.

Then he moved into keeping a settled squad to play a settled style. 

Now we seem to have a mish mash of gareths personal faves, plus some people currently in form regardless of style plus some tabloid picks.

Complete buggers muddle......

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

@rynny If I was the manager of a team who got promoted this season; I'd do a lot to try and get Giroud next season. 

Although he did not score at the World cup, Deschamp tried first game without Giroud soon realised his mistake brought him back in starting line up and he made the difference. He is Second only to Thierry Henry in the all time goal scorer for France, he does not make football look easy but he scores goals. The question mark will always remain if Benzema hadn't been an idiot what would have happened to Giroud.

Its not been as bad a performance as I've joked about tbh.  Tried 3-4-3 again with a bunch of inexperienced players.  Good result and decent performance against average opposition. 

I never give to much thought to friendlies tbh, Belgium up next which will obviously be a tougher test.

It's been pretty alright

Low intensity as expected, players have had a lot of football and it's only a friendly

This is really a team of players fighting for a squad place and maybe a first team spot.

Entirely different 11 Vs Belgium Sunday

Iceland wins 2-1.  Romania was awarded a penalty after a long scrutiny of video.  Ragnar Sigurðsson judged to have elbowed a Romanian player.  Our commentator was up in arms about it, complaining that it's no use looking at something again and again, that they waited too long to have a look at it and finally that every player has an elbow and it's part of the game.  In extra time a Romanian player threw himself to the ground in Iceland's penalty area, which further incensed our loyal commentator who shouted that the player became the shame of his nation, how dare he try and get a penalty in the dying seconds of the game and with the score being 2-1.

Iceland plays Hungary next, who soundly beat Bulgaria tonight

Edited by ramit

37 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

Yeah only 3-0 shocking performance 

It was a shocking performance. We beat a Championship team in Wales, and our football was dire. Grealish, Ings and Calvert-Lewin were the only good things to come from that game.