Live football thread.

Rev

On 26/06/2020 at 17:21, Tamworthram said:

Fair point but, do you realistically see anyone other than the teams I mentioned being serious contenders? Liverpool are part of that closed shop, they have just failed to convert membership into actual titles. They are still amongst a very small group of teams that could win the title (baring another Leicester miracle).

Because I'm bored and have nothing better to do, I've taken a look at which teams have occupied the top four places over the last 20 years. So that's 80 places (20 years x 4 places).

The clubs I have mentioned have occupied 85% of those places. (Arsenal 17 of the 80, Man U 16, Chelsea 13, Liverpool 12 and Man City 9).

Outside of those five teams, only Spurs (6 times), Newcastle (2 times), Leeds (2 times), Everton (once) and Leicester (once) have made it into the top four.

So, I think it is pretty close to a closed shop.

I suppose, what I should have said, is I'd be more interested if a team other than one of the "big"  five were challenging.

What did it look like from 1980-2000?

Not sure what it is but I really, really cannot stand Bristol City. Think it’s their little weirdo manager.

I remember after they beat us at PP earlier in the season he said he took no joy from it because he used to play for us. Thought it was when he was young and before my time but turns out it was in the Nigel Clough era. Clearly the club left a longer lasting impression on him than he did on me. 

Also, this:

Bamford

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Dunno. I didn't look that far back. I thought the last twenty years was sufficient. 

I asked because I'd be interested to know whether the findings would look similar for that period.

If so, then the idea that the top division has become a 'closed shop' might be shown to be a bit of a myth. I have no idea whether it would be, but I reckon it would be interesting.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7