Willie Thorne - RIP

Mostyn6

Back in the days of only 3/4 channels on the tellybox, Snooker was massive as a tv sport. 

Willie was a character and before Rocket Ronnie, was the king of maximum breaks, casually knocking in 147s daily! 

Died in the early hours due to a combination of Leukaemia, Sepsis and Respiratory issues. 

personally, a bit gutted, cos I loved him. My kind of bloke/character. 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to run a shooting syndicate in Lincolnshire and one day one of our members couldnt make it but asked Willie along in his place,a thorough gentleman,but all day long was on his mobile getting his bets on with his bookie.

I enjoyed meeting him,for one day only and was shocked to hear of his death.RIP Willie Thorne.

Being very loosely connected to the game when it was at it's peak (A friend, of a friend, of a friend type thing), I have it on very good authority that he was right up there, when it comes to being well liked and respected by one's peers. 

Sad News.

RIP Sir.
xxx

Met him a couple of times. Once at an exhibition match v Jimmy white and once at a charity golf day. He did a after dinner speech at both. Absolutely brilliant ( although did use same one at both?). Great company and sadly missed ??

we sat with Willie on a flight over to malaga a few years ago, he was such a nice guy and made a real fuss of our son who thought it was fantatic that somebody could have the name 'Willie', he aluded to his health problems and his dificulties and his story back then sounded a sad one, it then apperead to spiral further, Rip Willie !

104449611_10219540766683494_2757349831462152864_n.jpg

Archived