Marcus Rashford

Parsnip

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I know working parents who struggle to feed and clothe their kids.

It's a deeper political argument revolving around the lack of social/affordable housing, the excessive rent changes for private tenants and the 80s/90s clamour for owning property, culminating in the 00s trend of lumbering people with mortgages they cannot afford.

As a current Universal Credit claimant, who has put i25 years of income tax into the country, it's demeaning being unable to make ends meet. The "means tested" way of working out what you need to survive is not fit for purpose. For example, you cannot find work nowadays without internet access. You cannot even claim benefits without internet access. Does Universal Credit allow for connectivity? Does it Bamford! Anyway, without digressing further, it's ignorant and cruel to tar us with the same brush. I will now have a host of CCJs for cancelling payments for things I'm contractually obliged to pay, simply cos my £350 pm does not take into account Car Insurance, Car Tax, Broadband, Mobile Phone, SkyQ, Netflix etc, as well as agreed payments schedules for previous CCJs from last time I was unemployed and cancelled payments for non-essentials!

Sounds tough mate, hope you manage ok. Hope you manage to keep your tv services especially, just for all those recommendations!

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At its very core, whether you think its the parents responsibility or not, whether its lazy parents or parents not prioritising correctly, the child does not deserve to be punished - it is not their fault.

The government has been embarrassed by a 22 year old footballer. The amount of councils, football clubs, restaurants, pubs, even McDonalds offering to do what the government wont is shameful and I really hope they reconsider this stance. 

The concept of the 'undeserving poor' has been a trope of the ruling classes and their apologists for centuries. It's what has allowed them to force people into inhuman living conditions, working 18-hour shifts in mills with no safety procedures in the nineteenth century. The whole 'poor people spend money on fags and booze' is just the modern version of that.

Following the vote, Mr Rashford issued a statement that said: "A significant number of children are going to bed tonight not only hungry but feeling like they do not matter because of comments that have been made today.

"We must stop stigmatising, judging and pointing fingers - our views are being clouded by political affiliation."

The 'undeserving poor' indeed.

Is there really a debate about providing children food whom for what ever can’t get the right access to it? Unbelievable. Hats off to Mr Rashford

3 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

Of course the other alternative is that we take the kids off them and put them into care. Then the kids don't suffer but they are no longer victims of bad parenting. Not sure who pays for their meals when they are in the care system. Anyone know?

Foster carers are paid an allowance and that will have to cover all meals, clothes etc. 

5 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

The concept of the 'undeserving poor' has been a trope of the ruling classes and their apologists for centuries. It's what has allowed them to force people into inhuman living conditions, working 18-hour shifts in mills with no safety procedures in the nineteenth century. The whole 'poor people spend money on fags and booze' is just the modern version of that.

What really saddens me is the fact that so many seem to want to believe it. I wish our schools taught British history.

6 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I know working parents who struggle to feed and clothe their kids.

It's a deeper political argument revolving around the lack of social/affordable housing, the excessive rent changes for private tenants and the 80s/90s clamour for owning property, culminating in the 00s trend of lumbering people with mortgages they cannot afford.

As a current Universal Credit claimant, who has put i25 years of income tax into the country, it's demeaning being unable to make ends meet. The "means tested" way of working out what you need to survive is not fit for purpose. For example, you cannot find work nowadays without internet access. You cannot even claim benefits without internet access. Does Universal Credit allow for connectivity? Does it Bamford! Anyway, without digressing further, it's ignorant and cruel to tar us with the same brush. I will now have a host of CCJs for cancelling payments for things I'm contractually obliged to pay, simply cos my £350 pm does not take into account Car Insurance, Car Tax, Broadband, Mobile Phone, SkyQ, Netflix etc, as well as agreed payments schedules for previous CCJs from last time I was unemployed and cancelled payments for non-essentials!

I was in a similar position for 5 months .  £280 a month for six months, then jack poo on universal credit because my wife had the temerity to work, Who knows what's happened to the 75k plus tax and N.Insurance I paid over 25 years but they weren't in a rush to offer me much back. Luckily, I got something, a fair bit less money than before but it fills a gap.

Hope you get something soon  

3 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Typical to see the left wing press joining in with this support of this despicable campaign to feed poor kids...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8874787/Tory-MP-Ben-Bradley-hit-backlash-suggesting-free-school-meals-cash-went-crack-dens.html

Some MP's are really outing themselves as absolute tossers in response to this issue. 

4032.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/oct/23/marcus-rashford-hero-kids-school-meals

At Bredbury Green primary school in Stockport, Greater Manchester, the school curriculum has this term focused on the question, what is humanity? Each class has been given an inspirational figure to study. Year 2 was given Rashford. “It’s really inspired them,” said the deputy head, Ellis Cuttress. “What they’ve really learned is no matter how young you are, you can make a difference if you want to. They really understand his humanity.”

We fall for it every time. Instead of looking at the real issue of 'why is this even an issue', we fight amongst ourselves. It's always Labour v Tories, black v white, Muslim v Europe, LGBT v cisgenders when it all boils down to the elite v the majority. And instead of looking at the myriad of issues in the world that are inflicted on us and could be so easily solved by them, they sit back laughing as we fight each other and run around in circles. 

Divide and conquer anyone?

19 hours ago, goldstar said:

We fall for it every time. Instead of looking at the real issue of 'why is this even an issue', we fight amongst ourselves. It's always Labour v Tories, black v white, Muslim v Europe, LGBT v cisgenders when it all boils down to the elite v the majority. And instead of looking at the myriad of issues in the world that are inflicted on us and could be so easily solved by them, they sit back laughing as we fight each other and run around in circles. 

Divide and conquer anyone?

You do know there was a vote to extend free school meals during Covid and pretty much everyone agreed apart from the Tory MPs who voted it down.

It'a almost like they represent the elites by your logic.

Archived