Marcus Rashford

Parsnip

44 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

ABSOLUTELY NOBODY ON THIS FORUM, OR IN THE COUNTRY I HOPE SEE IT AS AN ACCEPTABLE SCENARIO THAT CHILDREN COULD GO HUNGRY, SO GET THE SILLY IDEA OUT OF YOUR HEAD AND TRY AND PROCESS WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING BEFORE BASHING AWAY ON YOUR KEYBOARD.

Says the man bashing away on his keyboard. In caps too!

FWIW, I haven't even suggested that that's how you feel rather that the immediate issue is being overlooked, but you know what, don't let that prevent one of your 100+ rants a day.

In any case, I'll leave you to it as I think your head is about to explode! ?

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, maxjam said:

The prime minister is said to be considering giving councils extra money for holiday clubs in a bid to end the free schools meals row.

It would mean children getting at least one meal a day during the holidays, and could be combined with extra study to help them catch up on missed classes, the Daily Telegraph reports.

This makes a lot of sense to me. Ok, so this week will be tough in many households and that's a horrible scenario, but this is a well reasoned proposal to address the wider issue and I would welcome it with open arms. 

13 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Says the man bashing away on his keyboard. In caps too!

FWIW, I haven't even suggested that that's how you feel rather that the immediate issue is being overlooked, but you know what, don't let that prevent one of your 100+ rants a day.

In any case, I'll leave you to it as I think your head is about to explode! ?

Thought you would back away when asked for facts.

Have a great day ?

2 hours ago, maxjam said:

IhBvGjKqw8.jpeg

I'm sorry, but has he ever attacked the Conservatives as a party?  Has he ever publicly backed Labour? As far as I'm aware, he's never made a comment on any of the political parties, and has only ever criticised the approach of the incumbent government, which just happens to be the Tories. 

So the post you attach appears completely disingenuous. 

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Thought you would back away when asked for facts.

Have a great day ?

Well clearly I can't meet your latest inane request for 'FaCTs' but given you've avoided answering every question put to you on this thread, I'd not feel in any way obliged to anyway.

Have a biscuit and a lie down now and I'll leave you in peace old chap ?

4 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I'm sorry, but has he ever attacked the Conservatives as a party?  Has he ever publicly backed Labour? As far as I'm aware, he's never made a comment on any of the political parties, and has only ever criticised the approach of the incumbent government, which just happens to be the Tories. 

No he hasn't, he has done nothing other than highlight a very serious issue and is fully deserving of his MBE for it - but I deny that the post was completely disingenuous.

The post I attached was a kind of flippant argument against those that call out the Tories for having their noses in toughs as they 'starve a kid or save a quid' and came immediately after I said the following;

'Furthermore, before we use this issue to beat the Tories with we should remember that this issue is a long standing problem.'

Regardless of who is in power this is an ongoing problem, especially in a country such as ours.  Rather than blame the current lot (who I didn't vote for btw) or throw even more money at the problem (families on benefits have already received an extra £1k already this year) we should be looking at the wider underlying problems and ensuring that any money is being spent where it is supposed to be spent.

36 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Not followed this too closely but as far as I can tell Marcus Rashford has been scrupulously apolitical, and is simply highlighting an issue understandably very close to his heart, using a platform he has built up.

In the modern world people are increasingly more interested in single issues they believe in, rather than committing themselves to party political support and with it all the grubby compromises you need to make to build a sufficiently broad coalition to be elected to govern. And that's overall a good thing to my mind, but it also makes some things appear deceptively simple when in fact they're fiendishly complex.

In this case, the opposition and media has been fairly shamelessly opportunistic in using Rashford's campaign as a stick to beat the government with. Rashford has done well to stay above it, but this doesn't prevent it also being a party political issue in the world of realpolitik.

40 minutes ago, maxjam said:

No he hasn't, he has done nothing other than highlight a very serious issue and is fully deserving of his MBE for it - but I deny that the post was completely disingenuous.

The post I attached was a kind of flippant argument against those that call out the Tories for having their noses in toughs as they 'starve a kid or save a quid' and came immediately after I said the following;

'Furthermore, before we use this issue to beat the Tories with we should remember that this issue is a long standing problem.'

Regardless of who is in power this is an ongoing problem, especially in a country such as ours.  Rather than blame the current lot (who I didn't vote for btw) or throw even more money at the problem (families on benefits have already received an extra £1k already this year) we should be looking at the wider underlying problems and ensuring that any money is being spent where it is supposed to be spent.

I probably should have worded it better. The qualifier you made before attaching the image was fair; this is a long-standing issue.

My issue was with the image you attached itself, which paints Rashford to be some sort of Labour activist, which he absolutely hasn’t been.

Various posters have claimed throwing money at the problem, of how to deal with children going hungry, isn't the answer. Yes I fully agree but what should be done, while a solution is found?

Do we stand back and do nothing and allow children to go hungry or do we do something, even if that something means throwing money at it.

I'm not going into what the solution would be to resolve the underlying problem, that is the cause of child hunger. That would definitely bring us into the world of politics.

7 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Various posters have claimed throwing money at the problem, of how to deal with children going hungry, isn't the answer. Yes I fully agree but what should be done, while a solution is found?

Do we stand back and do nothing and allow children to go hungry or do we do something, even if that something means throwing money at it.

I'm not going into what the solution would be to resolve the underlying problem, that is the cause of child hunger. That would definitely bring us into the world of politics.

As I've said, nobody wants to see children go hungry and if the evidence is there that is going to happen then it must be addressed immediately. 

Nobody has yet explained why this is a problem this year but hasnt been in previous years.

I wonder how many people on here realise that the winter fuel allowance was supposed to be a one off stop gap measure.

Once money is thrown at this it is here to stay and will snowball.

Next year it will be the Government having to provide winter clothing for families because otherwise they are advocating children freezing to death and so on...

If the problem is that minimum wage and universal credit are not sufficient for families to be able to eat then that is the problem that needs tackling. 

I personally think it is humiliating for families and children in particular to have to use free food vouchers.

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

The prime minister is said to be considering giving councils extra money for holiday clubs in a bid to end the free schools meals row.

It would mean children getting at least one meal a day during the holidays, and could be combined with extra study to help them catch up on missed classes, the Daily Telegraph reports.

Will these holiday clubs be open to ever pupil or just those receiving free school meals?

If people are moaning about the cost of providing a few meals. How mush extra would this scheme cost.

Who is going to run these holiday clubs over the Christmas period. Maybe we could organise a campaign to shame teachers into giving up their holidays.

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

As I've said, nobody wants to see children go hungry and if the evidence is there that is going to happen then it must be addressed immediately. 

Nobody has yet explained why this is a problem this year but hasnt been in previous years.

I wonder how many people on here realise that the winter fuel allowance was supposed to be a one off stop gap measure.

Next year it will be the Government having to provide winter clothing for families because otherwise they are advocating children freezing to death and so on...

If the problem is that minimum wage and universal credit are not sufficient for families to be able to eat then that is the problem that needs tackling. 

I personally think it is humiliating for families and children in particular to have to use free food vouchers.

I disagree with the vouchers bit but the rest is pretty spot on imho.

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Well you managed to shirt around the problem without answering the question. What do we do now to resolve this issue? Do we leave children to go hungry or do we spend money to feed them?

1 minute ago, 1of4 said:

Well you managed to shirt around the problem without answering the question. What do we do now to resolve this issue? Do we leave children to go hungry or do we spend money to feed them?

I dont know what we do now, nor it is my place to come up with policy.

Now on to the issue, can we please have the evidence that children are going to go hungry and also how we got in this position having increase universal credit by £1,040 per year?

There is no point in tackling a problem if we dont know that it actually exists and we dont know how to fix it long term.

I'm sure with all the campaign that are springing up around the country, no child will be going hungry in these school holidays.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I dont know what we do now, nor it is my place to come up with policy.

Now on to the issue, can we please have the evidence that children are going to go hungry and also how we got in this position having increase universal credit by £1,040 per year?

There is no point in tackling a problem if we dont know that it actually exists and we dont know how to fix it long term.

I'm sure with all the campaign that are springing up around the country, no child will be going hungry in these school holidays.

Why don’t you spend a day volunteering for one of the many food banks in your area, you can then see the evidence with your own eyes? 

You may even get chance to ask some of those who are struggling to feed their kids what they are doing with the extra £1040 a year.

Or you may decide it’s not actually a problem and it is in fact an issue that can continue to be ignored. Either way at least you will have a definitive answer. 

I’m sure they would all be extremely grateful for your time and contribution. 

23 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Will these holiday clubs be open to ever pupil or just those receiving free school meals?

If people are moaning about the cost of providing a few meals. How mush extra would this scheme cost.

Who is going to run these holiday clubs over the Christmas period. Maybe we could organise a campaign to shame teachers into giving up their holidays.

I would imagine it's aiming at fully utilising or expanding the places at pre-existing holiday clubs. We use one regularly for my little one and it's never full to capacity. Plenty of places which would be used for breakfast and after school clubs - just use them for the full day instead of an hour or so at each end.

2 minutes ago, jimmyp said:

Why don’t you spend a day volunteering for one of the many food banks in your area, you can then see the evidence with your own eyes? 

You may even get chance to ask some of those who are struggling to feed their kids what they are doing with the extra £1040 a year.

Or you may decide it’s not actually a problem and it is in fact an issue that can continue to be ignored. Either way at least you will have a definitive answer. 

I’m sure they would all be extremely grateful for your time and contribution. 

You have no idea what I do or contribute to in my spare time so I would kindly suggest that until you do that you don't cast aspersions.

Out of all of these people that 'cannot afford' to feed their kids, how many of their houses have you visited to assess their financial situations?

How many are spending money on luxuries prior to spending money on essentials?

Like I say, if minimum wage and universal credit are not sufficient to feed families then these areas should be addressed immediately.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

You have no idea what I do or contribute to in my spare time so I would kindly suggest that until you do that you don't cast aspersions.

Out of all of these people that 'cannot afford' to feed their kids, how many of their houses have you visited to assess their financial situations?

How many are spending money on luxuries prior to spending money on essentials?

Like I say, if minimum wage and universal credit are not sufficient to feed families then these areas should be addressed immediately.

I couldn’t care less what you do with your time. 

Nor do I personally have any interest in what you do contribute or don’t contribute.  

You keep on asking for the evidence and have so many questions? 

Why don’t you go down to a food bank and ask them? 

Archived