Chris Powell on the late Jim Smith

“He would have the whole squad in the palm of his hand.”

Hi all,

We've produced some Derby-related content lately, and wanted to share it with you here. The first, quoted above, is a piece written by Chris Powell on Jim Smith – your feedback's obviously very welcome.

Thank you,

The Coaches' Voice

https://www.coachesvoice.com/jim-smith-Derby-chris-powell-bald-eagle/

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was quality. Really enjoyed that.

Interesting point in the article, which with hindsight is so obvious but had never occurred to me before was "Jim tended to buy two players of the same nationality – those were the two Italians after the two Dutchmen and the two Croatians. Wanchope and Mauricio Solís were both Costa Rican"

Must not have been any decent Estonian outfield players!

6 hours ago, Sweetness34 said:

Interesting point in the article, which with hindsight is so obvious but had never occurred to me before was "Jim tended to buy two players of the same nationality – those were the two Italians after the two Dutchmen and the two Croatians. Wanchope and Mauricio Solís were both Costa Rican"

Poom was already over in England so didn't need a nursemaid. Plus he was a goalkeeper, and their all crazy loaners anyway.

8 hours ago, Sweetness34 said:

I seem to recall we were linked to an Estonian striker during Poom's spell (Andres Oper?) So maybe he did try!

Archived