Players Refusing to Play

JfR

Following Lyle Taylor, Chris Solly and David Davis' refusals to end the season at Charlton, Daniel Ayala has reportedly refused to end the season at Middlesbrough, with his contract running out at the end of this month:

Personally, I think he's a brave man to set himself up so readily for a patented Gibson lawsuit. At least he can't blame us if they go down this year.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The contract he signed expires on June 30th, he’s under no obligation to extend that and play the season out. Boro, as usual, would have no case for any legal challenge. That said, I do question the attitude of players who aren’t willing to finish the job they’ve started at their current club. I guess the situation is highly unusual and players are worried about contracts though. 

42 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

The contract he signed expires on June 30th, he’s under no obligation to extend that and play the season out. Boro, as usual, would have no case for any legal challenge. That said, I do question the attitude of players who aren’t willing to finish the job they’ve started at their current club. I guess the situation is highly unusual and players are worried about contracts though. 

Assuming he makes himself available for games before 30th June, surely he would have then done precisely that?

25 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Assuming he makes himself available for games before 30th June, surely he would have then done precisely that?

He’ll have finished the job he was contracted to do yes, but I meant more in terms of finishing the season that he’s started at Boro. Though I get the feeling he won’t make himself available for the last couple of games in June anyway, which imo would be pretty poor form.

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Mmmmh. Play a couple of games in June, get injured, with no contract protection come 1 July.  OR. Sit on arse last few days of June, and remain wrapped in cotton wool until the new window opens when you can sign a bumper 3 or 4 year contract, for which the purchasing club can load the wages as their is no fee.

Og Dota 2 Mind Blown GIF by Red Bull

10 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

He’ll have finished the job he was contracted to do yes, but I meant more in terms of finishing the season that he’s started at Boro. Though I get the feeling he won’t make himself available for the last couple of games in June anyway, which imo would be pretty poor form.

I get the feeling he will make himself available for the June games, being 99% confident the manager wouldn't now pick him anyway, on principle.

If his bluff is called, and he does get picked, he in turn could play crap/back out of challenges etc, so a no win situation for either side.

I'm not saying his decision is morally right, but contractually, he's perfectly entitled.  That's the whole point of contracts, and presumably both sides were happy to sign it.  If clubs want to try to avoid similar situations in future, then they need to start thinking about re-wording their contracts!

And yes... I'll say the same if CM19 decides not to hang around, as disappointing as that would be.

22 hours ago, JfR said:

Following Lyle Taylor, Chris Solly and David Davis' refusals to end the season at Charlton, Daniel Ayala has reportedly refused to end the season at Middlesbrough, with his contract running out at the end of this month:

Personally, I think he's a brave man to set himself up so readily for a patented Gibson lawsuit. At least he can't blame us if they go down this year.

Just the attitude the Leeds we all know and love would look for in a potential player!

On 16/06/2020 at 00:04, i-Ram said:

Mmmmh. Play a couple of games in June, get injured, with no contract protection come 1 July.  OR. Sit on arse last few days of June, and remain wrapped in cotton wool until the new window opens when you can sign a bumper 3 or 4 year contract, for which the purchasing club can load the wages as their is no fee.

Og Dota 2 Mind Blown GIF by Red Bull

My main gripe with these players not even prepared to play the last few games in June is they’re straight refusing to play to the terms of their contracts, they literally can pick and choose when they want to upheld their end of their contract. These players have probably known for the last 2 months that they wouldn’t be playing again but I bet they didn’t inform the club, the clubs probably would have furloughed them if they did.  It all just feels very dishonest to me. 

Archived