Probate

dog

My dad sadly died last week - his lymphoma had returned.

At the moment I'm sorting through his stuff. Luckily he was really well organised - there's a will and all of his accounts are easy to find.

My mum survives him and I'm putting any joint accounts into her name by directly contacting the banks etc. I'm closing single accounts in his name and will be transferring them to mum.

I've registered the death and informed people like the council and pensions.

Anyone know whether I need to apply for probate - if so, what is it and what will I need to do?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, dog said:

At the moment I'm sorting through his stuff. Luckily he was really well organised - there's a will and all of his accounts are easy to find.

My mum survives him and I'm putting any joint accounts into her name by directly contacting the banks etc. I'm closing single accounts in his name and will be transferring them to mum.

Anyone know whether I need to apply for probate - if so, what is it and what will I need to do?

Sorry to learn of your loss @dog. Wishing you and the family all the best.

Try this questionnaire it might help a little?

https://www.co-oplegalservices.co.uk/probate-solicitors/how-do-i-know-if-probate-is-required/question-1/

3 hours ago, dog said:

Sorry to hear that.

Probate empowers the executors named in the will to execute the terms of the will. If you are an executor you should apply for it. Without probate your Dad's estate can't be dealt with. Regardless of the size of the estate you will also need to submit an IHT 400 (available online) to HMRC for inheritance tax purposes, from memory this needs to be done before you apply for probate.

I think the process is relatively straightforward, if a little formal, but a solicitor can assist at a relatively modest cost. If the will looks straightforward then the executors may be able to act alone in dealing with the estate, without a solicitor.

Switching joint accounts over should be easy as they are jointly owned, provider will probably just require a death certificate. 

5 hours ago, dog said:

Sorry for your loss mate. My dad died at the start of this year and like you my mum survives him. First bit of advice is to use the tell all facility at the death registry. They cover pensions etc and saves a lot of faff. With regards to probate it depends on the size of estate. There are no hard and fast rules but most banks and isa’s and shares seem to have a £50 k rule. If he has less than that per account you won’t need it.  We got all my dads stuff transferred with very little bother. It’s a good idea to get half a dozen or so extra death certificates from the registry as the banks won’t accept photocopies. This assumes the Will is straight forward and goes to your mum. Look after yourselves 

2 hours ago, metalsheep02 said:

Sorry to hear that.

Probate empowers the executors named in the will to execute the terms of the will. If you are an executor you should apply for it. Without probate your Dad's estate can't be dealt with. Regardless of the size of the estate you will also need to submit an IHT 400 (available online) to HMRC for inheritance tax purposes, from memory this needs to be done before you apply for probate.

I think the process is relatively straightforward, if a little formal, but a solicitor can assist at a relatively modest cost. If the will looks straightforward then the executors may be able to act alone in dealing with the estate, without a solicitor.

Switching joint accounts over should be easy as they are jointly owned, provider will probably just require a death certificate. 

Condolences to @dog.

On the point of the death certificate, we found it useful to get a number of official copies - we had 4 or 5 at a total cost of around £20.

Hi @dog

Sorry to hear that, my sympathies are with you and yours.

If you want to have an initial no-cost chat with a wills and probate solicitor, call Smith Partnership on 0330 123 1229 on Monday after 9am and ask for Darren Perry or Liz Cochrane, they will be able to help. I work there and they are good people.

5 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Condolences to @dog.

On the point of the death certificate, we found it useful to get a number of official copies - we had 4 or 5 at a total cost of around £20.

Yeah, we did the same, its better to have a couple spare for how much they cost than go through the hassle later.

Archived