Buying and Selling Shares

Angry Ram

12 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

What's the best way to get in to this sort of thing to play around with a couple of hundred or whatever to start with? Isa wrapper or some other platform. 

ISA wrapper is long term for capital growth (see obvious choices covered by this D.M article, loathed to put them up but it does cover options quite simply https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/diyinvesting/article-1718291/Pick-best-cheapest-investment-Isa-platform.html )

Or you might want to consider trading for longer term pension growth via a S.I.P.P be it shares or funds.

There are many ways and platforms out there. Just have fun with google and get used to the phrase D.Y.O.R as it’s a cop out for anyone and everyone offering advice.

20 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

What's the best way to get in to this sort of thing to play around with a couple of hundred or whatever to start with? Isa wrapper or some other platform. 

1. Watch Wolf of Wall Street/Margin Call/The Big Short

2. Download an App

3. Open an account

4. Lose all your money

Time between step 3 and 4 may vary.

8 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

1. Watch Wolf of Wall Street/Margin Call/The Big Short

2. Download an App

3. Open an account

4. Lose all your money

Time between step 3 and 4 may vary.

Haha yep. I'll start off with basic shares and then quickly move on to buying complex products which expose me to huge losses. 

10 minutes ago, David said:

Same rules as gambling apply, only invest what you can afford to lose. 

Also the profits are not yours until you’ve cashed out. 

And never ever ever go chasing your losses. Missus mates husband lost all their savings, almost destroyed the marriage. 

Can be addicting, same buzz as watching a bet roll in. 

surely can't be as annoying as missing out on a 100/1 both teams to score accumulator last night because Coventry couldn't score in a brothel.

Just now, tinman said:

surely can't be as annoying as missing out on a 100/1 both teams to score accumulator last night because Coventry couldn't score in a brothel.

Can be as there’s no end. Mate cashed out on AFC Energy yesterday morning first thing, went by 19p I think it was by the end of the day. Fair whack that is if you have a chunk in there. 

Face like his puppy’s just died. 

4 minutes ago, David said:

Can be as there’s no end. Mate cashed out on AFC Energy yesterday morning first thing, went by 19p I think it was by the end of the day. Fair whack that is if you have a chunk in there. 

Face like his puppy’s just died. 

Ouch!

I've looked at it a couple of times through my Revolut Card, but never got round to putting in the extra details they need.

On 28/12/2020 at 19:11, cstand said:

Bitcoin is still expected to go higher in  2021, I have invested in Argo blockchain at 16p just before Xmas hoping it will do better than Bitcoin but if Bitcoin drops Argo will drop like stone. 

Bitcoin was 22k when I bought Argo at 16p Bitcoin now 33k going to be interesting tomorrow. Pete Wall sold a big chunk of shares by the time I realised he had to sell before February I was too busy at work to buy more. 

D561D115-84AC-4C40-8129-315531D37D45.thumb.jpeg.c835564597d114da8863650e84cb8e0f.jpeg

On 30/12/2020 at 08:09, alexxxxx said:

Haha yep. I'll start off with basic shares and then quickly move on to buying complex products which expose me to huge losses. 

Or you can be overconfident buy a fomo share and be top of the losses leader board the next day. Only got myself to blame.901D85AD-1EF1-4BEA-9D29-2487A97CB164.thumb.png.9f4be558b2ac45b4e35107a16da30bd8.png

Edited by cstand

On 30/12/2020 at 08:09, alexxxxx said:

I enjoyed Trading212 for a short period during the summer, sticking to CFDs and crypto mostly as it's very volatile. Without paying too much attention you should be able to double your money in a couple of days.

Just make sure you understand how CFDs work before 'having a play' as you can lose much more than you originally put in.

53 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I enjoyed Trading212 for a short period during the summer, sticking to CFDs and crypto mostly as it's very volatile. Without paying too much attention you should be able to double your money in a couple of days.

Just make sure you understand how CFDs work before 'having a play' as you can lose much more than you originally put in.

70% of people lose money on CFD good luck if you do well

19 hours ago, Malagaram said:

Just bought 1500 Tesco shares at 239.37,a lot of movement in share trades today,they pay a decent dividend,are low risk,Supermarkets always tend to do well in times of lockdown,Happy days

Big dividend due in late Feb.