Buying and Selling Shares

Angry Ram

11 hours ago, Rev said:

This is a good thread.

I'm just waiting for someone to post about a company I've never heard of, in advance of their shares taking off a week later, before I smash my life savings into them.

Some did with Sirius Minerals....shocking and probably the saddest investment story in recent years.

On 12/06/2020 at 18:50, Rev said:

I used to have a couple of Share ISAS, then some Silly Billy convinced me we'd all be eating tinned food from garden bunkers long before now, so closed them and now the money sits doing nothing under the mattress, along with the gold I converted them to.

I have been looking to reopen a share ISA, so this topic has come at a decent time, but with no charges or fees I can't see a catch, and if you can't see the catch I'm not inclined to invest, if something looks too good to be true it normally is.

There will be a crash at some point, markets can stay irrational longer than investors stay solvent, those riding the wave can enjoy the profits but always be wary a black swan event can come along anytime.

On 17/12/2020 at 23:29, Rev said:

This is a good thread.

I'm just waiting for someone to post about a company I've never heard of, in advance of their shares taking off a week later, before I smash my life savings into them.

Hope you was on RevEnergy this time last week.

Yes I’ve watched and looked each week but refrained from commenting on companies, as your posts highlight the danger of words on a bulletin boards. Some day a bad call that has enticed someone to invest or put them off from doing so, will unfortunately be the reason another poster lost a shed load or missed a fortune. When the grapes sour, it’s always someone else’s fault.

Thats not a dig at you Rev, just over the years seen it so many times. Advfn is a cesspit example of this kind of activity

On 17/12/2020 at 20:08, Rev said:

Surely you should be using a lifetime ISA?

Guaranteed 25% return even on cash?

On 17/12/2020 at 22:10, cstand said:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/lifetime-isas/

Martin Lewis explains it very well imo

Thanks for the advice, both. I've looked into it and it says you have to be living in the UK to pay in. As the plan is to go back to Budapest in February until July, I'll hold off until the summer. After that, I'll probably set one up.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

Due to a bereavement just become  an executor to my aunties will. Whilst sorting her finances came across some shares for Shell. Wasn't expecting them to be worth a great deal due to the number she held and nearly fell off my chair when I saw the share price. Unfortunately I will not be a beneficiary.

On 11/06/2020 at 16:38, Angry Ram said:

Anyone like to dabble a bit? I have always liked the thought but it always seemed a balls ache to do. I've now found a simple app that makes this really easy.

Trading 212. I'm hooked now. Just stuck what I could afford to lose in there and it's simple as, no commission either.

Have U tried etoro

u can invest small amounts and track /copy other people’s trades .. they take a tiny cut of why u make but it’s like an eBay style sort of thing where u can see reviews for them and pay performance... certainly not a quick fix or get rich quick scheme but an interesting way of doing something I enjoy but no little about 

On 23/12/2020 at 16:00, Kinder said:

I’ve definitely lucked out with Tesla. I bought 3 shares just over 3 years ago for £846. They’re now worth £7,102. Crazy really and I obviously wish I’d bought more!

Just think if you'd put that £800 in Bitcoin 10 years ago, and 3 years ago transferred it to shares in Tesla.

3 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Have U tried etoro

u can invest small amounts and track /copy other people’s trades .. they take a tiny cut of why u make but it’s like an eBay style sort of thing where u can see reviews for them and pay performance... certainly not a quick fix or get rich quick scheme but an interesting way of doing something I enjoy but no little about 

Not tried etoro, keeping with Trading 212 for a bit. I’m a novice really so will keep to what I know. 

5 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Just think if you'd put that £800 in Bitcoin 10 years ago, and 3 years ago transferred it to shares in Tesla.

Bitcoin is still expected to go higher in  2021, I have invested in Argo blockchain at 16p just before Xmas hoping it will do better than Bitcoin but if Bitcoin drops Argo will drop like stone. 

1 hour ago, alexxxxx said:

What's the best way to get in to this sort of thing to play around with a couple of hundred or whatever to start with? Isa wrapper or some other platform. 

I would say Trading212 for smaller investments, Hargreaves Lansdown for larger long term investments.