Buying and Selling Shares

Angry Ram

26 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

I still have some - sat in a Merrill Lynch account. At one point they were worth about $15k, then stabilised around the $11/12k mark

Since Covid-19 they have dropped to $7k (briefly went into the $8k region the other day)

Luckily I didn't pay for any of them (only through my hard work for the company anyway) - so I don't stress it. Would be pretty gutted if I'd bought them all though

Thats the way - with £ expected to collapse further the apparent losses are not so bad. Keep them as rainy day money and treat yourself sometime. Just beware capital gains tax if they go up too much......

I used to have a couple of Share ISAS, then some Silly Billy convinced me we'd all be eating tinned food from garden bunkers long before now, so closed them and now the money sits doing nothing under the mattress, along with the gold I converted them to.

I have been looking to reopen a share ISA, so this topic has come at a decent time, but with no charges or fees I can't see a catch, and if you can't see the catch I'm not inclined to invest, if something looks too good to be true it normally is.

On 11/06/2020 at 16:38, Angry Ram said:

Anyone like to dabble a bit? I have always liked the thought but it always seemed a balls ache to do. I've now found a simple app that makes this really easy.

Trading 212. I'm hooked now. Just stuck what I could afford to lose in there and it's simple as, no commission either.

Hey Angry, it sure can be real fun but if you want to really take it serious and I mean really, then you need to read, research, read, research and practice or start small. Losing is good, we all lose, it’s how you learn, I’ve made and lost a fortune for me, bad trading decisions but it was an education. In time, you just have to know that you ride your winners and cut losers fast, no emotion.

Share trading has to be cold, hard, without hesitation and right moves should be obvious. Find an investing/trading style to fit your personality, if you don’t you’ll likely lose or never make it pay, maybe get bored etc.

Good luck fella.

21 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Hey Angry, it sure can be real fun but if you want to really take it serious and I mean really, then you need to read, research, read, research and practice or start small. Losing is good, we all lose, it’s how you learn, I’ve made and lost a fortune for me, bad trading decisions but it was an education. In time, you just have to know that you ride your winners and cut losers fast, no emotion.

Share trading has to be cold, hard, without hesitation and right moves should be obvious. Find an investing/trading style to fit your personality, if you don’t you’ll likely lose or never make it pay, maybe get bored etc.

Good luck fella.

@Angry Ram Get yerself a broker and rant down the blower at him.

Edited by i-Ram

• 1 month later...

Bought some Boohoo shares last week 230p if they can iron out the problems they need to address they should become fashionable again, hoping to double my money in two years time, but any profit would be nice.

On 11/06/2020 at 16:38, Angry Ram said:

Anyone like to dabble a bit? I have always liked the thought but it always seemed a balls ache to do. I've now found a simple app that makes this really easy.

Trading 212. I'm hooked now. Just stuck what I could afford to lose in there and it's simple as, no commission either.

I might have another look at this. I had a go with the App a year or so ago but decided to just have a play with it to begin with, with pretend money (as you can on the App). I made some good gains but figured to do it properly would mean an investment of time into research that I couldn't afford back then.

I use the Plum App to skim off extra savings from my current account and have a decent sum in there but it's doing nothing, since they stopped doing the Ratesetter peer-to-peer lending thing. I might have a dabble with some of it.

Edited by Van Wolfie

2 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

I might have another look at this. I had a go with the App a year or so ago but decided to just have a play with it to begin with, with pretend money (as you can on the App). I made some good gains but figured to do it properly would mean an investment of time into research that I couldn't afford back then.

I use the Plum App to skim off extra savings from my current account and have a decent sum in there but it's doing nothing, since they stopped doing the Ratesetter peer-to-peer lending thing. I might have a dabble with some of it.

I’ve stuck to Pharma and tech. I’ve also stuck to US trading as well. 

I put my Pension pot into HSBC management service, medium risk rules. Its done alright over 9 years. Value dipped heavily at beginning of March but is now back to within 5% of where it was. So I'm happy to leave it to the professionals. 

Periodically I try to second guess them with pretend buying or selling of my larger stock holdings. The evidence is they are better at it than me. No surprise. What did surprise me was how few trades they actually do. More active in the currency fields.

Years ago I was friends through my pa in law with the head of a major publishing house. His "hobby" was to peruse the FT each morning and then ring his stock broker. His advice to me was if you can't go big and spread the risk don't do it. Always assume you will lose the lot and invest accordingly. Set a budget and NEVER chase losses!

16 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

I put my Pension pot into HSBC management service, medium risk rules. Its done alright over 9 years. Value dipped heavily at beginning of March but is now back to within 5% of where it was. So I'm happy to leave it to the professionals. 

Periodically I try to second guess them with pretend buying or selling of my larger stock holdings. The evidence is they are better at it than me. No surprise. What did surprise me was how few trades they actually do. More active in the currency fields.

Years ago I was friends through my pa in law with the head of a major publishing house. His "hobby" was to peruse the FT each morning and then ring his stock broker. His advice to me was if you can't go big and spread the risk don't do it. Always assume you will lose the lot and invest accordingly. Set a budget and NEVER chase losses!

I have just over £500k in various Vanguard Index pots.. Like you said, dipped in March but now back ahead of the Feb number.