Buying and Selling Shares

Angry Ram

Anyone like to dabble a bit? I have always liked the thought but it always seemed a balls ache to do. I've now found a simple app that makes this really easy.

Trading 212. I'm hooked now. Just stuck what I could afford to lose in there and it's simple as, no commission either.

4 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Anyone like to dabble a bit? I have always liked the thought but it always seemed a balls ache to do. I've now found a simple app that makes this really easy.

Trading 212. I'm hooked now. Just stuck what I could afford to lose in there and it's simple as, no commission either.

dealers bid-ask spreads tho, which you won't see directly, but they are there all right.....

It is true to say though that the easier you make this accessible the better. I had some variable remuneration by way of shares in the parent company which is US quoted. When I left I wanted to sell them. I had to set up a brokerage account with the affiliated manager (Merrill Lynch) in the US, then set myself up with an FX account with a completely separate outfit to get the proceeds out of the US, back into £ and into my UK bank.........

anyway, good luck with it - building your own portfolio is high risk, but you can win big (relatively speaking).

34 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Just be careful. Buying and selling shares is of course a form of gambling so you need to be strict with what you can afford to lose. If in doubt, watch the scene in Wolf of Wall Street where Matthew McConaughey explains to DiCaprio how it works.

When I worked for a bank I used to get bank shares through a share option scheme every year. Made a load of money when you could rely on bank shares and fortunately started to off load quite a few before the crash but, I still lost a lot when the share price plummeted 90%.

8 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

If you want to read up on the subject, I’d recommend ‘One Up on Wall Street’ by Peter Lynch. His strategy is based on the idea that the consumer always sees a potential grower before Wall Street (or the City) does. He also gives a rundown on the fundamentals of analysing stocks.

Now all I need is money to actually invest.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

My view is that these days stocks and shares are a mugs game for the individual investor. Between the pension funds, the banks and the hedge funds, the big players have this market all sewn up. 

Your better bet is to actively manage your pension fund. Don't just let your pension sit in the default fund. Review your pension every 6 months and make changes to get the most out of it. Most major providers have around 200 funds you can choose between. Lots of options, and in lots of different stock markets too. This is the biggest and most important investment most of us are likely to have. Make it work hard! 

10 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

My view is that these days stocks and shares are a mugs game for the individual investor. Between the pension funds, the banks and the hedge funds, the big players have this market all sewn up. 

Your better bet is to actively manage your pension fund. Don't just let your pension sit in the default fund. Review your pension every 6 months and make changes to get the most out of it. Most major providers have around 200 funds you can choose between. Lots of options, and in lots of different stock markets too. This is the biggest and most important investment most of us are likely to have. Make it work hard! I already do that with my financial guy, we review monthly at the moment. 

Edited by Angry Ram

6 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

I would have though any stocks badly hit by Covid 19 but with a good chance of recovery is well worth a punt.

£100 up over the last month on a £550 investment.. Took a hit yesterday though.

Im staying fairly risky though, so the rewards will be good and the dips bad. It’s only £550 and it’s cheering me up.

16 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

£100 up over the last month on a £550 investment.. Took a hit yesterday though.

Im staying fairly risky though, so the rewards will be good and the dips bad. It’s only £550 and it’s cheering me up.

The interesting comparison is to compare against a tracker fund over the same period. In other words, are you actually beating the market?

Unless you know what you are doing, shares are for long term investing. Don't put your eggs in one basket is a good phrase to apply here. Think Sirius Minerals. Some people invested their pensions and life savings only to lose most of it.

Edited by TimRam

39 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

The interesting comparison is to compare against a tracker fund over the same period. In other words, are you actually beating the market?

US shares. Not my work, I have a mate in NY who gives me the nod on certain things. Most of the companies I have never heard about.

Been buying and selling stocks for years made and lost money but over the years I have done very well for my low risk approach mainly buy and hold shares and unit trusts.   Now I am older I am taking more risks with money I can afford to lose on the AIM with a planned approached as it is too easy to be caught up in the pump and dump bulletin boards.

Never done day trading might do this when I retire.

If you are new to shares start a watch list or dummy portfolio but remember its not the same as using or losing real money and read all you can about investing then decide what investing style you require.  Only use money you can afford to lose you and have a financial safety net in place if you lose you job etc.  I never had a bank of mum and dad, been the only bread winner in our the household for 27 years so have been very careful in my investing until I was 55yrs old as my pension is now my safety net.

Edited by cstand

4 hours ago, cstand said:

Been buying and selling stocks for years made and lost money but over the years I have done very well for my low risk approach mainly buy and hold shares and unit trusts.   Now I am older I am taking more risks with money I can afford to lose on the AIM with a planned approached as it is too easy to be caught up in the pump and dump bulletin boards.

Never done day trading might do this when I retire.

If you are new to shares start a watch list or dummy portfolio but remember its not the same as using or losing real money and read all you can about investing then decide what investing style you require.  Only use money you can afford to lose you and have a financial safety net in place if you lose you job etc.  I never had a bank of mum and dad, been the only bread winner in our the household for 27 years so have been very careful in my investing until I was 55yrs old as my pension is now my safety net.

Only going with money I can afford to lose, approaching it as more of a bit of fun really..  

I earn a good salary, Moodhoover territory, but I get a massive buzz out of making a couple of quid doing this. Sad I know but nowhere else to get my kicks at the moment. I also know my limitations and I know nothing about the markets really.. 

On 11/06/2020 at 16:47, Van der MoodHoover said:

I had some variable remuneration by way of shares in the parent company which is US quoted

I still have some - sat in a Merrill Lynch account. At one point they were worth about $15k, then stabilised around the $11/12k mark

Since Covid-19 they have dropped to $7k (briefly went into the $8k region the other day)

Luckily I didn't pay for any of them (only through my hard work for the company anyway) - so I don't stress it. Would be pretty gutted if I'd bought them all though

On 11/06/2020 at 16:38, Angry Ram said:

@metalsheep02 is your man Angry,but he’s very quiet and might not want to get involved.

34 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Only going with money I can afford to lose, approaching it as more of a bit of fun really..  

I earn a good salary, Moodhoover territory, but I get a massive buzz out of making a couple of quid doing this. Sad I know but nowhere else to get my kicks at the moment. I also know my limitations and I know nothing about the markets really.. 

There’s nothing wrong with it, like other forms of Gambling, PROVIDED you keep it under control, limit your exposure to loss, are aware that you could lose everything you invest and don’t chase your losses.