How much would this back 4 cost today?

Ron Webster 

Roy McFarland

Coiln Todd

David Nish

Ronnie was a solid player, the other 3 were world-class on their day and both Todd and Roy Mac should have had 100 caps apiece if it hadn't been for that tool Revie and injuries.

Has there ever been a finer all-English back 4 in the history of the league?

Doubt it - not even Arsenal when  they had Dixon, Adams, Bould and Winterburn, imho.

Anyway, answering my own question, you'd probably need to tap Jeff Bezos up because I'm asking $200 million.

I may be a tad biased though.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Ron Webster 

Roy McFarland

Coiln Todd

David Nish

Ronnie was a solid player, the other 3 were world-class on their day and both Todd and Roy Mac should have had 100 caps apiece if it hadn't been for that tool Revie and injuries.

Doubt it - not even Arsenal when  they had Dixon, Adams, Bould and Winterburn, imho.

Anyway, answering my own question, you'd probably need to tap Jeff Bezos up because I'm asking $200 million.

I'd say £200 million would be a conservative estimate.

McFarland was better than Van Dike so £100m just for him.

Todd, probably £80m when you think Stones went to Man City for £50m

David Nish was the most expensive defender when Clough signed him, pure class, worth at least as much as TAA, say £60m?

Ronnie was a home grown lad, bit of a Gary Neville, priceless to his own club but never priced as such. At least £20m in todays money.

The thing I never realised at the time was that a Nish was right footed.

I’d have moved him to right back and kept John robson, (when Ronnie got older).

P.s. we should have added Shilton to that back four - even though I loved boulton 

8 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Ron Webster 

Roy McFarland

Coiln Todd

David Nish

It is dirty to say it I know, but Madeley (Reaney), Cooper, Charlton and Hunter were a defence that conceded less goals in each of the 1971/72, 1972/73 and 1973/74 seasons.  

Man City would allocate £200m budget for our back four, but I suspect our owner might sell for nearer £100m.

8 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Ron Webster 

Roy McFarland

Coiln Todd

David Nish

I recall reading I think in Roy Mac’s book a piece about Ron’s incredible strength and fitness levels. He would train then go home and do a ten hour shift on his farm. A very underrated player I always thought and probably looked a tad unpolished next to the skill and speed around him but he was a tough opponent and it’s no fluke that he rattled up 500+ appearances. I’ve had the pleasure of speaking with him a few times at Pride Park in the coffee shop where he likes to remain anonymous and part of the crowd. Lovely, modest man. 

As well as how good they were it’s also important how fit they were and how many games they actually played for Derby County, in modern day football it’s a miracle when a player reaches 150 games for one club, we certainly got our money back on these !

Ron Webster 530

Roy McFarland 525

Coiln Todd 371

David Nish 188

to add to that 

Kevin hector 581

colin Boulton 344

archie Gemmill 404

john O’Hare 305

steve Powell 409

alan Hinton 295

alan Durban 388

6 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

As well as how good they were it’s also important how fit they were and how many games they actually played for Derby County, in modern day football it’s a miracle when a player reaches 150 games for one club, we certainly got our money back on these !

Ron Webster 530

Roy McFarland 525

Coiln Todd 371

David Nish 188

to add to that 

Kevin hector 581

colin Boulton 344

archie Gemmill 404

john O’Hare 305

steve Powell 409

alan Hinton 295

alan Durban 388

Appearance figures just speak volumes don’t they. Great players in a settled squad at a settled Club correlates with a rising trajectory. Can the next generation emulate that? Can Cocu build the dynasty that will propel us back? Surely it’s only a matter of time ?

On TalkSPORT (I know)the other day they were talking about an England defence with Todd and Roy Mac in it that was the best in the world at that time.

You’re going to be looking at 100 million for Roy Mac or 20 million if you use the Will Hughes transfer formula(true value divide by at least 5).

4 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Appearance figures just speak volumes don’t they. Great players in a settled squad at a settled Club correlates with a rising trajectory. Can the next generation emulate that? Can Cocu build the dynasty that will propel us back? Surely it’s only a matter of time ?

No, unfortunately, it’s a matter of money.

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

It is dirty to say it I know, but Madeley (Reaney), Cooper, Charlton and Hunter were a defence that conceded less goals in each of the 1971/72, 1972/73 and 1973/74 seasons.  

Man City would allocate £200m budget for our back four, but I suspect our owner might sell for nearer £100m.

Yes but the dirty ones cheated to do it, our lot did it with class.

1 hour ago, Van Cone De Head said:

On TalkSPORT (I know)the other day they were talking about an England defence with Todd and Roy Mac in it that was the best in the world at that time.

You’re going to be looking at 100 million for Roy Mac or 20 million if you use the Will Hughes transfer formula(true value divide by at least 5).

Todd & Mac were definitely world class. Todd had unbelievable pace and precision in the tackle on a par with Bobby Moore. There were aspects on Tomori’s play last season that reminded me of Toddy.

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

The thing I never realised at the time was that a Nish was right footed.

I’d have moved him to right back and kept John robson, (when Ronnie got older).

P.s. we should have added Shilton to that back four - even though I loved boulton 

Well I never knew that until 30 seconds ago.

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

I recall reading I think in Roy Mac’s book a piece about Ron’s incredible strength and fitness levels. He would train then go home and do a ten hour shift on his farm. A very underrated player I always thought and probably looked a tad unpolished next to the skill and speed around him but he was a tough opponent and it’s no fluke that he rattled up 500+ appearances. I’ve had the pleasure of speaking with him a few times at Pride Park in the coffee shop where he likes to remain anonymous and part of the crowd. Lovely, modest man. 

Agreed. Playing alongside 3 England internationals masked the fact of how good he was. 

My parents became friends with Ron and Doreen after my old man asked Ron to be the President of the South Peak supporters club, even though only a couple of players had been taken and he could have had one of the internationals.

They came to out house a few times and we used to have a drink with them and a few other players in the Sportsmens Lounge and occasionally the directors lounge after games.

Both super nice people and I had a lot of chats with Ron as well as Peter Daniel, Roger Davies, Colin Boulton, Roy Mac and to a lesser extent, Alan Hinton.

All of them were super, super nice, no egos on show whatsoever, and Roger was really funny

Not sure that age will ever be replicated.

1 minute ago, Bob The Badger said:

Agreed. Playing alongside 3 England internationals masked the fact of how good he was. 

My parents became friends with Ron and Doreen after my old man asked Ron to be the President of the South Peak supporters club, even though only a couple of players had been taken and he could have had one of the internationals.

They came to out house a few times and we used to have a drink with them and a few other players in the Sportsmens Lounge and occasionally the directors lounge after games.

Both super nice people and I had a lot of chats with Ron as well as Peter Daniel, Roger Davies, Colin Boulton, Roy Mac and to a lesser extent, Alan Hinton.

All of them were super, super nice, no egos on show whatsoever, and Roger was really funny

Not sure that age will ever be replicated.

I'll never forget the play off final I think against QPR. Went to a pub before the game with a beer garden full of Rams fans. Everyone singing their heads off. Roger Davies turned up. Everyone started with 'Roger, Roger, sing us a song...'. His response? 'Always poo on the red side of the Trent'. Legend!

2 hours ago, loweman2 said:

Ron Webster 530

Roy McFarland 525

Coiln Todd 371

David Nish 188

to add to that 

Kevin hector 581

colin Boulton 344

archie Gemmill 404

john O’Hare 305

steve Powell 409

alan Hinton 295

alan Durban 388

Steve Powell could have pushed for 600 if he hadn't been hammered with injuries in the second half of his career.

11 hours ago, i-Ram said:

No, unfortunately, it’s a matter of money.

Yes absolutely. As a selling club we will have one eye on how much we can flog the academy players on to PL clubs for. A shame, but a reality all the same. 

Not an expert on this era (or any really) but if Kyle feckin Walker is worth £50 million squid then you'd have to think at least three of them would be worth that or more. They'd probably not be banging boatloads of Latvian hookers during lockdown either, so there's that too.

8 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Not an expert on this era (or any really) but if Kyle feckin Walker is worth £50 million squid then you'd have to think at least three of them would be worth that or more. They'd probably not be banging boatloads of Latvian hookers during lockdown either, so there's that too.

given a chance - i think they would

and better than kyle could do it...

Archived