Championship provisional restart on June 20th

Andicis

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I've always said that the Wanchope goal is overrated by our fans, but that's a new level.

It's not just the goal, it's the whole story, Derby, newly promoted, signing some bloke that no one in this country has ever heard of, playing against the champions, who are on course to win the league again, he dribbled past 6 players and scored against probably the best keeper in the world. To put it in today's context it is like Sheff Utd signing a player from Matlock Town, giving him his debut against Liverpool, at Anfield, him getting the ball, going past Henderson, Matip, Robertson, Van Dijk, Gomes and Alexander-Arnold and scoring against Alisson.

Add in the fact I was there, as an 11 year old, at my first away game, and to me, you have the greatest goal I have ever seen and nothing will beat it. 

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

It's not just the goal, it's the whole story, Derby, newly promoted, signing some bloke that no one in this country has ever heard of, playing against the champions, who are on course to win the league again, he dribbled past 6 players and scored against probably the best keeper in the world. To put it in today's context it is like Sheff Utd signing a player from Matlock Town, giving him his debut against Liverpool, at Anfield, him getting the ball, going past Henderson, Matip, Robertson, Van Dijk, Gomes and Alexander-Arnold and scoring against Alisson.

Add in the fact I was there, as an 11 year old, at my first away game, and to me, you have the greatest goal I have ever seen and nothing will beat it. 

I understand that. I'd be its biggest advocate if I was there to witness it.

But on a technical level, it's nowhere near the best goals in Premier League history.

12 minutes ago, rynny said:

I wasn't there but remember it well. Watched it back on Rams TV on Tuesday evening and enjoyed every minute of it - even Motson's slightly patronising if very knowledgeable commentary. 

What I did enjoy was seeing the brilliant job Paul Trollope did that night keeping Cantona quiet (with one notable exception!) Wanchope will forever make the headline, but there were some real unsung heroes on the pitch that day.

18 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I understand that. I'd be its biggest advocate if I was there to witness it.

But on a technical level, it's nowhere near the best goals in Premier League history.

Cat Spock GIF by MOODMAN

7 minutes ago, angieram said:

I wasn't there but remember it well. Watched it back on Rams TV on Tuesday evening and enjoyed every minute of it - even Motson's slightly patronising if very knowledgeable commentary. 

What I did enjoy was seeing the brilliant job Paul Trollope did that night keeping Cantona quiet (with one notable exception!) Wanchope will forever make the headline, but there were some real unsung heroes on the pitch that day.

Said exactly the same thing about Trollope the other day. Cantona was an absolute unbelievable player, one of my favourite non Derby players. He was unplayable that season. 

1 hour ago, rynny said:

Without the mighty Igor too, and the goalkeeper's first match too.

1 hour ago, rynny said:

I think you are letting nostalgia get the better of you Rynny, not that there is anything wrong with that. I accept fully too it might be the greatest goal you have ever seen.  I greatly enjoyed the goal too, although I was not there, but my recollection is that a number of Man U players just backed off, letting him run and run. Only a young Phil Neville made any attempt to stop him, and even his attempt at a tackle was a desperate lunge as he was about to shoot. Good goal, but pretty abject defending. The best goalkeeper in the world at that time went batshit crazy with his colleagues when the ball went in the net.

5 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I think you are letting nostalgia get the better of you Rynny, not that there is anything wrong with that. I accept fully too it might be the greatest goal you have ever seen.  I greatly enjoyed the goal too, although I was not there, but my recollection is that a number of Man U players just backed off, letting him run and run. Only a young Phil Neville made any attempt to stop him, and even his attempt at a tackle was a desperate lunge as he was about to shoot. Good goal, but pretty abject defending. The best goalkeeper in the world at that time went batshit crazy with his colleagues when the ball went in the net.

secret smell GIF

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Derby AND Leeds agree!? Shocker.

Leeds, the Championship leaders, and Derby both declined to comment while Roberts has strongly denied the allegation, but multiple sources have said the plan was put forward.

It is also understood that on Thursday night Derbyshire Constabulary informed Roberts, the deputy chief constable of South Yorkshire police, that the game would remain at Pride Park....

5 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

That 5 point gap to the playoffs doesn't look as big after 3 months off and loads of eager young players ready to run about a lot.

4 hours ago, DesertRam said:

If we can win the first couple of matches, get in the zone, the sky's the limit eh..?

I'll actually be slightly disappointed if we don't make the play offs. With Rooney conducting the show, Sibley full of hunger and confidence, I fully expected us to have a decent run before the lockdown. It'll be very tough for all the teams to motivate properly but if Cocu can get them right mentally we can beat anyone.

1 minute ago, uttoxram75 said:

I'll actually be slightly disappointed if we don't make the play offs. With Rooney conducting the show, Sibley full of hunger and confidence, I fully expected us to have a decent run before the lockdown. It'll be very tough for all the teams to motivate properly but if Cocu can get them right mentally we can beat anyone.

Unfortunately for Derby, in football terms lockdown couldn't have come at a worse time, it felt like we had momentum going our way coming out of the Blackburn game. 

On 03/06/2020 at 02:39, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Everyone should rate him IMO. His 42 appearances for England weren't by fluke, nor were the 22 goals he scored. Also scored over 100 goals in the Prem. Would have absolutely smashed it in the Championship.

And he was very polite when he asked me the next train to Stoke at Piccadilly station after a few scoops. Top fella ?

Archived