Push for playoffs or play the youth?

RamLad1884

Given recent announcements we're probably now less than a month until the return of competitive championship football. 

How are people feeling about the return? Should Cocu be preparing the squad to make a late(or is it now early?) push for the playoffs or should he try to get more youth players ready for the first team? 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He should play his best team initially and see where that takes us. His best team will almost certainly include 2 or 3 youngsters starting. Possibly 1 or 2 more on the bench. Players like Hector-Ingram will benefit from being around the first team in training and possibly travelling with the squad. I imagine they wouldn't play any part unless there is nothing to play for or their performances in training merit it.

Both...? In other words, we should look to get youngsters game time now, but only if they're looking ready for the step up. And we should always be playing to win and climb as high up the table as possible. If playing more youngsters means less chance of winning, then I am looking at the experienced players to step up too.

Our youngsters have shown they know how to win, just look at the youth team records. It's more about managing the expectations in game, which our experienced heads can lead them through.

We already have the cream of our young players playing every week, we don't need to tank our season to play young players. Just play them when they're ready, as we've already been doing. It's been shown if they're good enough Cocu will use them.

12 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

With the hot weather and no crowds Jafoozon should be a star 

Going to be very interesting how the players react to all this and what their fitness levels are. 

We could still make the playoffs I reckon. 

Same thing.

Knight is my favourite player. Bird is superb. Sibley is ready. These are the top three.

bogle can be good, but can also be shocking

lowe.......still waiting for him to show some hunger and desire

wisdom has been great and is 27

holmes is an important player at 25

The rest will be senior players

1 hour ago, Shuff264 said:

Its an opportunity for youth to play without pressure, also who wants to sit at home and watch Derby win the play offs in front of no crowd?

I’m looking forward to watching us beat Leeds again in the semi final and then thumping Forest in the final as I sip several large glasses of red wine.

3 hours ago, Andicis said:

We already have the cream of our young players playing every week, we don't need to tank our season to play young players. Just play them when they're ready, as we've already been doing. It's been shown if they're good enough Cocu will use them.

This. Perfect reply.  We’ve already brought through Bird, Sibley, Knight, (I’m counting Lowe too), whilst retaining Bogle and using Whittaker as a sub. That’s half a team of youngsters.

I absolutely love seeing youngsters in the team but there is no need to rush others in this season. 

Carry on as before, which if I recall correctly, was trying to amass as many points as possible. 

As well as a very outside chance of play offs, there’s also the small matter of potential points deduction, which still hasn’t been confirmed:

A/ Whether it will happen  

B/ How many points (if any). 

C/ which season they will be deducted from (if any). 

What sort of a question is this?! We’re only 5 points off the playoffs ffs! We’ve still got absolutely every chance of making it. To even suggest giving up now and focusing on next season is insanity imo. If we don’t make it, we don’t make it and we look to improve in the summer. Until then, the only reason to play the youngsters is because, simply put, they’re better than their senior counterparts!

42 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

To even suggest giving up now and focusing on next season is insanity imo. If we don’t make it, we don’t make it and we look to improve in the summer.

Completely agree

Just go for it, there's no expectation to get there anyway. We were starting to look like a half decent team before the break. And I would also suggest that if we do return, the lack of crowds inside stadiums could have a positive effect on our dreadful away form. 6th place finish here we come...

2 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Just go for it, there's no expectation to get there anyway. We were starting to look like a half decent team before the break. And I would also suggest that if we do return, the lack of crowds inside stadiums could have a positive effect on our dreadful away form. 6th place finish here we come...

Just for argument's sake, it might also effect our good home form?

Considering the quality and potential shown by Sibley and the other young uns I think this wouls be a massive showcase opportunity to play alongside Wayne Rooney.

It is a huge ask to pick up the pace and race into the playoffs but not beyond the bounds of possibility. This team would put in a good shift and send out the right message.

We're coming to get you!

Archived