Summer 2020 Transfer Suggestion Thread

oomarkwright

6 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

Should have given Exeter what they wanted for Ollie Watkins. The profit made on him would have far outweighed the initial cost. 
Not one of our better decisions and I hope that it isn’t repeated. 

no chance. He would've been treated/judged the same way as Nick Blackman and co, as a waste of money. Then given away for free.

We (fans) don't give players chance to improve.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

no chance. He would've been treated/judged the same way as Nick Blackman and co, as a waste of money. Then given away for free.

We (fans) don't give players chance to improve.

Nick Blackman was treated/judged harshly because he was crap. He was crap before we signed him, apart from a 3 month purple patch, crap whilst he was here and no doubt is still crap. How you can pin that one on the fans is a bit of a mystery to me. 

We didn’t sign Watkins because Exeter played silly beggars and kept pushing the price up and up and ended up selling him for less than we offered, which I find a bit bizarre. Mel Morris has spoken about this at forums and he was right to pull the plug as everyone at the time was having our trousers down and we would have set a dangerous precedent. Just a shame we didn’t apply the same logic to Butterfield really. 

Did anyone watch the Leeds game on Saturday evening - the young winger Poveda did really well when he came on.

just wondering, as they have Harrison, Alioski, Costa, Raphina (pending) and Daniel James (strong link) could we get Poveda on loan to push, Ibe and Jozwiak.

Lawrence will play no.10 role and Waghorn/Marriott will be 2nd and 3rd choice striking options. (If we bring someone in).

leaves Jozwiak, Ibe, *Poveda* Whittaker and Holmes for the wing positions? Holmes is a CM/CAM though I’m my opinion 

Simon Jordan just made an interesting comment on Talksport.

One of our Dutch assistants (Scheepers or Van De Weerden) is married to the daughter of Frank Arnesen. 

If we didn't have enough contacts in Europe with Cocu, that link should be netting us some decent German forwards lol.

2 hours ago, Edtheram said:

Did anyone watch the Leeds game on Saturday evening - the young winger Poveda did really well when he came on.

just wondering, as they have Harrison, Alioski, Costa, Raphina (pending) and Daniel James (strong link) could we get Poveda on loan to push, Ibe and Jozwiak.

Lawrence will play no.10 role and Waghorn/Marriott will be 2nd and 3rd choice striking options. (If we bring someone in).

leaves Jozwiak, Ibe, *Poveda* Whittaker and Holmes for the wing positions? Holmes is a CM/CAM though I’m my opinion 

Poveda had Mendy on toast and you're suggesting we could get him on loan LOL.

4 minutes ago, rammieib said:

One of our Dutch assistants (Scheepers or Van De Weerden) is married to the daughter of Frank Arnesen. 

If we didn't have enough contacts in Europe with Cocu, that link should be netting us some decent German forwards lol.

Van Der Weerdan

Arnesen is sporting director at Feyenoord

4 hours ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Nick Blackman was treated/judged harshly because he was crap. He was crap before we signed him, apart from a 3 month purple patch, crap whilst he was here and no doubt is still crap. How you can pin that one on the fans is a bit of a mystery to me. 

We didn’t sign Watkins because Exeter played silly beggars and kept pushing the price up and up and ended up selling him for less than we offered, which I find a bit bizarre. Mel Morris has spoken about this at forums and he was right to pull the plug as everyone at the time was having our trousers down and we would have set a dangerous precedent. Just a shame we didn’t apply the same logic to Butterfield really. 

You miss the point. It took Watkins a considerable amount of time to blossom. He wouldn’t have lasted long enough here before being written off. If Blackman is a poor example, see how some view Whittaker already. 

My nomination for striker we should look to sign, someone who should be very well known to Derby after giving our U23s fits not a week ago: Ellis Simms. 

A quick, strong, athletic striker that looks to be behind some very big names at Everton. He strikes me as a player that would fit in the middle of that front three well, along with Jozwiak and Ibe and give us a front three that has an insane amount of pace. 

I'd much rather see us try and get him in for a season over the likes of Austin, Dursun. 

8 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

My nomination for striker we should look to sign, someone who should be very well known to Derby after giving our U23s fits not a week ago: Ellis Simms. 

A quick, strong, athletic striker that looks to be behind some very big names at Everton. He strikes me as a player that would fit in the middle of that front three well, along with Jozwiak and Ibe and give us a front three that has an insane amount of pace. 

I'd much rather see us try and get him in for a season over the likes of Austin, Dursun. 

Just wanted to trigger the 100th page. Austin for me till Xmas with option for rest of season.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

You miss the point. It took Watkins a considerable amount of time to blossom. He wouldn’t have lasted long enough here before being written off. If Blackman is a poor example, see how some view Whittaker already. 

I am not missing the point, I just disagree with it. I don’t think Derby fans are as bad as some in here paint them. Perhaps the dip in our home form could point to this. I think generally we are very patient, especially with younger players. Don’t equate someone typing a negative Comment on a forum with negativity in the stands. Yes there is generally a whipping boy, whether that be McGovern or Roos, but that is the same wherever you go I believe and younger players are always given leeway. 

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

I may be missing the link but why German forwards?

21 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

I am not missing the point, I just disagree with it. I don’t think Derby fans are as bad as some in here paint them. Perhaps the dip in our home form could point to this. I think generally we are very patient, especially with younger players. Don’t equate someone typing a negative Comment on a forum with negativity in the stands. Yes there is generally a whipping boy, whether that be McGovern or Roos, but that is the same wherever you go I believe and younger players are always given leeway. 

I'm with Mostyn on this one, while it might only be the vocal minority on here if it's repeated enough it sticks and you end up situations like people cheering when Roos caught the ball last year. You just have to look at some of the digs aimed at Bird 2 seasons ago, Whittaker last year and even Te Wierik this year. Some people don't give players time to adapt to a new league. If Watkins had have come here it would have only taken a couple of average performances before people were calling him a waste of money.

29 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

we'll agree to disagree on this. 

7 hours ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Didn’t we play Blackman on the wing? When he’s a striker. He proved he can score goals at other clubs. Like it or not Derby fans like other fans are too quick to write players off. The original poster probably has a point. When there are people shouting for Camara to be subbed off after 5 minutes into his first appearance, or people asking for Morgan Whittaker to be dropped when obviously he is being instructed different things by the manager to what the fans want, fans are fickle, and it’s a sign of today’s football culture and society as a whole. 

2 minutes ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

Didn’t we play Blackman on the wing? When he’s a striker. He proved he can score goals at other clubs. Like it or not Derby fans like other fans are too quick to write players off. The original poster probably has a point. When there are people shouting for Camara to be subbed off after 5 minutes into his first appearance, or people asking for Morgan Whittaker to be dropped when obviously he is being instructed different things by the manager to what the fans want, fans are fickle, and it’s a sign of today’s football culture and society as a whole. 

Blackman scored all his goals at Reading playing wide right.

4 minutes ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

According to Whoscored, Blackman scored 8 in 15 when starting on the wings in the half season prior to joining us. He scored 3 in 8 when starting central.

"Proved he can score goals"? Yeah he could score goals, but not many:

Reading - 22 in 113
Sheff Utd - 14 in 33
Motherwell - 10 in 22
Aberdeen - 2 in 18
Macclesfield - 1 in 12
Oldham - 1 in 12
Blackpool - 1 in 5
Blackburn - 0 in 3

We bought him on the back of a purple patch where everything he hit from range went in. Prior to his 13 in half a season for reading he had only scored 9 in the previous 85 games for them. The only clubs he showed any form for were Motherwell in the SPL and Sheff Utd in L1.

Archived