Summer 2020 Transfer Suggestion Thread

oomarkwright

On 13/10/2020 at 11:12, TexasRam said:

Poor though to let Martin leave (the pivotal player in the formation after coming back from lockdown) and not replace him, leaving us far weaker than last season up front. 

Struggles to play 2/3 games a week. We can’t rely on him anymore as good as he was.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Shuff264 said:

If we're struggling to get our top targets then I'm not sure we should bother, maybe if something special gets made available but if you go down to our 5th/6th choice we'll end up with another Paterson 

Yep don’t blow our budget on a dud. If we can’t get a the type of player we need wait rather than shoehorning in a signing because we couldn’t get one.

10 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

Struggles to play 2/3 games a week. We can’t rely on him anymore as good as he was.

I agree, but to not replace him (yet and there is still time) would be a big mistake. IMO I don’t see Marriott, Waghorn or Rooney being effective In that role and with PCs style of play. If PC changes that, then maybe they will work and we don’t need anyone but I’m not convinced. 

2 hours ago, DCFC27 said:

Really? Proof of that. Post lockdown he was playing all games. You think Marriott and Waghorn aren't struggling? Love all the excuses being made for why Martin isn't/wasn't good enough.

Just get over it - he was and is good enough. Another club offered him a much better deal, meanwhile we look for players that will play for peanuts! ?

He was playing the games, but his impact and performances definitely waned the more he was asked/forced to played, he'd get around the pitch and drop deep a lot more in the first 45-60 mins of games and it was noticeable that his general play worsened later in matches. (One off his back against Forest in the 96th minute doesn't count as proof about his general longevity in games)

If Bristol have got the attacking players around him to compensate for that, and/or they're able to keep his average minutes per game around 70, 2x a week then I'm sure he'll continue to perform very well for them.

However 6 games into a new season where Bristol have yet to face more than 2 games a week isn't the best sample size to judge anything, or make bold statements, from.

We'll see what happens later in the season. It could be proven that he's totally over his fitness issues and plays 90 mins of nearly every game for them, or it could be proven that a 2-3 year contract was too much.

The only thing we know for certain is that we know nothing for certain.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Really? Proof of that. Post lockdown he was playing all games. You think Marriott and Waghorn aren't struggling? Love all the excuses being made for why Martin isn't/wasn't good enough.

Just get over it - he was and is good enough. Another club offered him a much better deal, meanwhile we look for players that will play for peanuts! ?

He also wanted a two year deal and we offered a 1 year? He’s got the same illness that ended Darren Fletchers career which is effectively a ticking time bomb financially for the club. 
Move on mate. I was as disappointed as anyone when he left but one player doesn’t make a club and the club has to come first especially in times like these. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

? ... ? ... ? ...

6 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Watkins  and Benrahma fees pretty much pays for their new stadium. £4.5 million becomes £63 million. Sign who ever organises their player choices even if a computer program.

Whoa ... I'm going have to put my thinking cap on again ... ? ... You're living up to your tagline!

45 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

Move on mate. I was as disappointed as anyone when he left but one player doesn’t make a club and the club has to come first especially in times like these. 

I've moved on mate. But you're the one dissing Martin to make us look better!

23 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I can't think of anyone, but I'm sure by Friday we'll have Austin or Zahore or Wilson or all of them! 

I'm still hoping for a surprise. Every time I go on to Transfer Forum it's in the hope that a new name will be at the top of the page.

Only after that hope is dashed do I move on to see what people are saying about Chris Martin.

1 minute ago, AutoWindscreens said:

I'm still hoping for a surprise. Every time I go on to Transfer Forum it's in the hope that a new name will be at the top of the page.

Only after that hope is dashed do I move on to see what people are saying about Chris Martin.

You're here quite a bit then. ? ?

1 hour ago, AutoWindscreens said:

Whoa ... I'm going have to put my thinking cap on again ... ? ... You're living up to your tagline!

Nowhere obvious to put it, AW. So they were and are summer transfers of interest to some of us perhaps. Just bid on anyone that Brentford try to sign and hope for the best.

On 13/10/2020 at 11:08, Ghost of Clough said:

Rooney, Waghorn and Marriott will do for now.
Bird, Knight, Shinnie, Holmes will cover the 2 CM positions. Evans and Rooney can be played there in emergency, and Bielik won't be too far off now.
Sibley, Lawrence, Jozwiak, Ibe and Whittaker rotating for the other 2/3 positions 

Will they?

There's one hold up striker there,waghorn coming back from injury who may well be a little rusty and possibly slightly fragile.

Marriott can't perform the role,we have seen that and Rooney really hasn't got the legs and is really needed in the midfield.

If Waggers gets crocked we are effectively knackered as is Cocus preferred system.

We really do need another target man in as soon as possible,I'd say our season depends on it.

Archived