Summer 2020 Transfer Suggestion Thread

oomarkwright

22 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Te Wierik is a right-sided centre half, so I'm not sure he'll be partnered with Wisdom.

I personally think our back four will be:

Bogle - Te Wierik - Bielik - Lowe

...with Wisdom and Evans as the two back-up centre halves. 

I'm pretty sure Bielik plays as a left-sided centre-half for Poland. He certainly played there for us at times next to Keogh. I also think he's said somewhere before (maybe on RamsTV) that he prefers playing as a defender. Somebody might be able to confirm that.

I dont think Belek is a CH  think they will try and buy Clarke or go for Rob Dickie 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think Ravas is the one to look out for but he has to bulk up a bit first. Otherwise he will never cope with the forwards standing on him at every corner.

He's a decent shot stopper and I would like to say normally good in the air, but I did see him drop a high ball one match this season and if he does that at Pride Park then our fans are very unforgiving.

I think Ravas is the only one with anything about them it seems so far. But keepers need to be able to forget their last mistake and go again, that is what he has to learn. 

8 hours ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Always rated him but he's 35.  Not sure.

I still think that Phil will have a go at signing Zoet (probably on loan with a view to buying at the end of his contract) next season. He has been bombed out at PSV and obviously being his go to No 1 for four years will be on his radar. 

Still only 28 ish 

46 minutes ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

I still think that Phil will have a go at signing Zoet (probably on loan with a view to buying at the end of his contract) next season. He has been bombed out at PSV and obviously being his go to No 1 for four years will be on his radar. 

Still only 28 ish 

Would love to see cocu go for zoet.. solid keeper, bags of ability, but surely wages would be an issue?

2 hours ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

Still only 28 ish 

Zoet has been arrested for fighting so should fit in well...

10 hours ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

On the subject of '20 goal a season strikers'... Cauley Woodrow has managed 15 in a poor Barnsley team this season. Could be worth a cheeky bid if they end up going down.

If we could cherrypick one player from Barnsley, I'd go with Sollbauer. Seems to be excellent CB. If he had played whole season, most likely Barnsley wouldn't get relegated.

8 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think Ravas is the only one with anything about them it seems so far. But keepers need to be able to forget their last mistake and go again, that is what he has to learn. 

Totally agree and I think they do.

It's the fans who won't let them forget!

9 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Ravas is the only one close enough to be considered (at least for the cups anyway). Foster(-Theniger) has the potential to be better in my opinion, but it's too soon for him, with him only stepping up to the U23s next season.

Ignoring loans, a lot depends on outgoing. Going in to this season Cocu set up with 2 first team players and a youth backup in each position. Assuming he does the same the obvious gap is at CB and potentially CF if Martin doesn't stay, and it's no secret we'll be in for a new GK. We're overloaded in the GK and LB positions with Roos, Carson, Mitchell, Malone all likely on the transfer list.
If Martin stays, we'll have Martin, Marriott, Trialist and half a Waghorn (half on wing) as option upfront.
Lawrence, Whittaker, Jozefzoon, Bennett, and halves of Waghorn, Knight and Holmes means we have plenty of options on the wings. Even if Jozefzoon and Bennett leave (highly likely), we're still well covered with Waghorn and Lawrence as reliable starters, backed up by Whittaker, Knight and Holmes. Despite the wings being one of our weaker areas, I don't think we'll recruit here as it'll block the progress of Whittaker and Knight, as well as prevent opportunities being given to the likes of Archie and Wilson. The only way i see us recruiting here is if Martin leaves, and we opt to stick with just Waghorn and Marriott as our CFs (backed up by Trialist).

Outs: Roos, Carson, Mitchell, Malone, Jozefzoon, Bennett, Martin, JML (loan)
In: GK, CB, RW/CF

It would result in a squad such as this...

GK: New, Ravas
RB: Bogle, Wisdom
CB: Wisdom, Te Wierik, Evans
CB: New, Davies, Bielik
LB: Forsyth, Lowe, Buchanan
DM: Bird, Bielik, Evans, JBrown
CM: Rooney, Shinnie, Knight
AM: Sibley, Holmes
RW: Waghorn, Whittaker, Knight, Holmes
LW: Lawrence, Knight, Holmes
CF: Martin, Marriott, Trialist

Other than the 2 potential new signings and Te Wierik, only players used in the matchday squad this season have been listed (so no Archie, Wilson, etc..)

On 03/07/2020 at 13:30, Van der MoodHoover said:

I think they're referring to an outside half......?

Personally, i stick with these descriptions as my bible.....??

image.png.0e10de1d48afb6107491c8d8d25a41b1.png

You just killed my rose coloured look at my playing days - I started as the CF (I was tall) I dropped to CB (I put on weight) then I moved out to right back (I got old) lmao

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Ignoring loans, a lot depends on outgoing. Going in to this season Cocu set up with 2 first team players and a youth backup in each position. Assuming he does the same the obvious gap is at CB and potentially CF if Martin doesn't stay, and it's no secret we'll be in for a new GK. We're overloaded in the GK and LB positions with Roos, Carson, Mitchell, Malone all likely on the transfer list.
If Martin stays, we'll have Martin, Marriott, Trialist and half a Waghorn (half on wing) as option upfront.
Lawrence, Whittaker, Jozefzoon, Bennett, and halves of Waghorn, Knight and Holmes means we have plenty of options on the wings. Even if Jozefzoon and Bennett leave (highly likely), we're still well covered with Waghorn and Lawrence as reliable starters, backed up by Whittaker, Knight and Holmes. Despite the wings being one of our weaker areas, I don't think we'll recruit here as it'll block the progress of Whittaker and Knight, as well as prevent opportunities being given to the likes of Archie and Wilson. The only way i see us recruiting here is if Martin leaves, and we opt to stick with just Waghorn and Marriott as our CFs (backed up by Trialist).

Outs: Roos, Carson, Mitchell, Malone, Jozefzoon, Bennett, Martin, JML (loan)
In: GK, CB, RW/CF

It would result in a squad such as this...

GK: New, Ravas
RB: Bogle, Wisdom
CB: Wisdom, Te Wierik, Evans
CB: New, Davies, Bielik
LB: Forsyth, Lowe, Buchanan
DM: Bird, Bielik, Evans, JBrown
CM: Rooney, Shinnie, Knight
AM: Sibley, Holmes
RW: Waghorn, Whittaker, Knight, Holmes
LW: Lawrence, Knight, Holmes
CF: Martin, Marriott, Trialist

Other than the 2 potential new signings and Te Wierik, only players used in the matchday squad this season have been listed (so no Archie, Wilson, etc..)

I'd be happy if we stuck with what we had at CF, so long as Martin signs a new contract. But I do think we'll sign a winger. In fact, when you write up a depth chart like that, it's clear that signing a CB would actually be much more of a luxury purchase than bringing in someone to compete with Waghorn and Lawrence.

At CB we'll already have Bielik, Te Wierik, Wisdom and Evans, all of whom should be good enough to start at this level. Buchanan could also develop into a decent left-footed option, and if there were an absolute injury crisis we could start Davies or Forsyth.

In comparison, on the wing we're looking at Whittaker or Knight (playing in the wrong position) as first options off the bench. Whittaker would probably benefit from another year on the edge of the squad or on loan in League One/League Two. He's clearly a great prospect but he's yet to show that he's currently good enough to play at this level. I think all the excitement about Sibley, Bird and Knight masks the fact that our squad depth has actually allowed them to develop at their own pace. I wouldn't want Whittaker involved in all 46 match-day squads next season, as he still needs game time for the U23s.

I think we might need two new wingers to be honest, unless Jozefzoon can be redeemed in the last 5 games of the season. On Saturday we were sorely lacking pace and quality on the wing, which definitely makes Rooney's pinpoint passing less of a threat. Like many on here, I think Ibe would be a good player to take a chance on, and I'd also look to sign a loanee, provided we could make the finances work.

12 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Te Wierik is a right-sided centre half, so I'm not sure he'll be partnered with Wisdom.

I personally think our back four will be:

Bogle - Te Wierik - Bielik - Lowe

...with Wisdom and Evans as the two back-up centre halves. 

I'm pretty sure Bielik plays as a left-sided centre-half for Poland. He certainly played there for us at times next to Keogh. I also think he's said somewhere before (maybe on RamsTV) that he prefers playing as a defender. Somebody might be able to confirm that.

Had it in my head that TW was a lefty, so thanks for the correction.

I keep forgetting about Bielik. I do hope that Cocu et. al. can sort his discipline at the same time as Lawrence. He's only young so I'm sure he'll learn to use his aggression a bit more sensibly.

I'd be happy with Evans in as first choice as Bielik is out until October at the earliest by the sounds.

1 minute ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Had it in my head that TW was a lefty, so thanks for the correction.

I keep forgetting about Bielik. I do hope that Cocu et. al. can sort his discipline at the same time as Lawrence. He's only young so I'm sure he'll learn to use his aggression a bit more sensibly.

I'd be happy with Evans in as first choice as Bielik is out until October at the earliest by the sounds.

I don't think it was aggression which got Bielik in trouble. 

It was his lack of sharpness which meant he was always off balance and lunging into tackles. Same issue which got him injured. 

Let's hope he comes back fighting fit and proves to be a legend. 

34 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

I'd be happy if we stuck with what we had at CF, so long as Martin signs a new contract. But I do think we'll sign a winger. In fact, when you write up a depth chart like that, it's clear that signing a CB would actually be much more of a luxury purchase than bringing in someone to compete with Waghorn and Lawrence.

At CB we'll already have Bielik, Te Wierik, Wisdom and Evans, all of whom should be good enough to start at this level. Buchanan could also develop into a decent left-footed option, and if there were an absolute injury crisis we could start Davies or Forsyth.

We have a lot of players who can cover there but a couple of injuries and we'll be struggling again. Wisdom is our backup RB, and Bielik/Evans backup DM - Bielik's unlikely to be fit at the start of the season to make matters worse. Davies will be limited to his role at the moment - a sub off the bench to see things out. None of our potential starters are suited to playing on the left, so a signing is necessary.

34 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

In comparison, on the wing we're looking at Whittaker or Knight (playing in the wrong position) as first options off the bench. Whittaker would probably benefit from another year on the edge of the squad or on loan in League One/League Two. He's clearly a great prospect but he's yet to show that he's currently good enough to play at this level. I think all the excitement about Sibley, Bird and Knight masks the fact that our squad depth has actually allowed them to develop at their own pace. I wouldn't want Whittaker involved in all 46 match-day squads next season, as he still needs game time for the U23s.

I think we might need two new wingers to be honest, unless Jozefzoon can be redeemed in the last 5 games of the season. On Saturday we were sorely lacking pace and quality on the wing, which definitely makes Rooney's pinpoint passing less of a threat. Like many on here, I think Ibe would be a good player to take a chance on, and I'd also look to sign a loanee, provided we could make the finances work.

You can rely on Waghorn and Lawrence to be available for almost every game (Waghorn's had 100% availability so far an Lawrence 83%). The offer decent goal returns from the wing so a signign as first choice isn't required, and it's a waste to sign someone purely to be subs. It's rare we sub 2 wingers in a game, and any signings would expect to be the go to sub (considering he isn't a starter) so game time for Knight and Whittaker is severely reduced. Everything about Cocu says he won't do that. Knight's started half of our games this season and it's safe to safe he'll get more game time next season. He's unlikely to feature much in midfield due to the competition, so the wing it shall be.

1 hour ago, Dethorn said:

Did you ever hear of Peter Beardsley, John Toshak, Teddy Sherringham?

Sherringhams goal record was 1 goal in 2.5 games not bad to be fair. Beardsley was a number 10, I know nothing about Toshak. So based on all that not sure what your point is. 

We have a plethora of number 10s, we need a goal scoring CF/Striker IMO to play off them. Martin’s great and can get us goals, after that I think we struggle. Waghorn is just not that player and Marriott hasn’t been fit enough for us to play consistently. So due to that I’d go and buy one if I was Phil. 

40 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We have a lot of players who can cover there but a couple of injuries and we'll be struggling again. Wisdom is our backup RB, and Bielik/Evans backup DM - Bielik's unlikely to be fit at the start of the season to make matters worse. Davies will be limited to his role at the moment - a sub off the bench to see things out. None of our potential starters are suited to playing on the left, so a signing is necessary.

You can rely on Waghorn and Lawrence to be available for almost every game (Waghorn's had 100% availability so far an Lawrence 83%). The offer decent goal returns from the wing so a signign as first choice isn't required, and it's a waste to sign someone purely to be subs. It's rare we sub 2 wingers in a game, and any signings would expect to be the go to sub (considering he isn't a starter) so game time for Knight and Whittaker is severely reduced. Everything about Cocu says he won't do that. Knight's started half of our games this season and it's safe to safe he'll get more game time next season. He's unlikely to feature much in midfield due to the competition, so the wing it shall be.

Fair enough, I just think that by the logic you use to justify signing another centre-back, we should also be looking to improve our options on the wing.

14 hours ago, richinspain said:

Mine was a rhetorical question. Obviously I don't expect you to know who we could sign ?. My point still stands though. To sign a second choice keeper better than what we already have I don't think will come cheap, and it's money that could be better spent elsewhere. To sign better than we have in any position, or replace Martin if he doesn't renew, is going to cost money. We aren't in a position to spend on reserve players at the moment unfortunately.

My argument is, we sign a number 1. They get injured or whatever, and Roos comes in, he will cost us points. If Hamer is our current number 1 I think it says everything about Roos ability. We need to improve the squad as well as the team imo 

15 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Sherringhams goal record was 1 goal in 2.5 games not bad to be fair. Beardsley was a number 10, I know nothing about Toshak. So based on all that not sure what your point is. 

We have a plethora of number 10s, we need a goal scoring CF/Striker IMO to play off them. Martin’s great and can get us goals, after that I think we struggle. Waghorn is just not that player and Marriott hasn’t been fit enough for us to play consistently. So due to that I’d go and buy one if I was Phil. 

I guess my point is scoring goals is not the be all and end all for some strikers.

Holding the ball up

Focal point for the team

Assists

Pressing

Tracking back

But I do see what you mean Thanks, I would love to have a 25-30 goal a season striker - but I would also like him to contribute in other ways as well

Archived