The word of the year. The WOTY award

jono

I’d like to nominate “Trope“. .. great season from this relative newcomer; during Brexit negotiations, an election and on both left and right wings .. an ever present.

I did think about “Memes“ but it’s been patchy with “Cliche“ angling for the same position.

There was a time when “Cohort” Would have been in with a shout but Injury has damaged his season and all those Roman Soldiers that used to be Years, Age Groups and Intakes haven’t been in the match day squad.

Any other suggestions ? I did think about one of the “Phobics” but here are so many of them it’s hard for anyone of them to stand out from the crowd. 

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bloviator-sums it all up for me

1. A public figure, such as a politician or an actor, who makes outlandish, strident statements on issues, thinking that the average man will care about their opinions.

2. Someone who pontificates about issues of which they are uninformed, yet pretend to be expert.

3. Pompous blowhard, using their celebrity to speak about topics on which they are totally unqualified.

23 minutes ago, secretsquirrel said:

Bloviator-sums it all up for me

1. A public figure, such as a politician or an actor, who makes outlandish, strident statements on issues, thinking that the average man will care about their opinions.

2. Someone who pontificates about issues of which they are uninformed, yet pretend to be expert.

3. Pompous blowhard, using their celebrity to speak about topics on which they are totally unqualified.

associated with this

unprecedented

not a single covid briefing takes place without the multiple use of this word by a bloviator

18 hours ago, Alpha said:

Guys! 

Hey guys, hi guys, listen guys, you guys, later guys, wassup guys, guys can you, listen guys...

Take that horrible word away and society crumbles, guys. 

When I go to a restaurant and a waiter says guys, their tip automatically goes down. Can't stand that word.

Archived