Rise of Derby County under Arthur Cox

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Ram-a-lama fa fa fa said:

Brilliant read. Started going with my dad the year before Arthur joined us. Really brought back some happy memories. Can remember the Sheff utd away game. Cant believe we only took 8000 there...it felt like the whole city was there to me!

I was there that day.  Absolutely electric in the away end.

I liked Arthur, I really did. He was one of the four (four and a half if you include Billy) successful managers that we have had in the almost 60 years that I have been watching. But

his teams were 'workmanlike' for the most part, high on effort and workrate and character. They reflected the man himself. In Shilton, Wright and Saunders (and for a short while Paul Goddard) he had, in the First Division, three highly skilled players in important positions surrounded by lesser mortals, but the teams that came before didn't quite excite in the way that Jim's second division side did, or Sir Brian's. But then Arthur was also dealing with Maxwell and a club that had very recently been close to financial extinction. He didn't leave very well either, but then he's not unique in that. 
He was what we desperately needed at the time. We probably couldn’t have done much better than to get him to come to Derby and for three seasons as we went through the leagues and then prospered in the first division it was an exciting time to be a ram.

Anyone remember these two greats from Arthurs tenure.  No cheating

1977–1981Leyton Orient 145 (20)

1981–1984Notts County111 (15)

1984–1988Tottenham Hotspur53(12

anyone remember who this was guy was signed in 1988 2 games in 2 yrs .  Looked very good on his debut, but was probably the most injured player I can remember .  He can now be found selling comic art and looking for those with superhuman powers under the pseudonym Mr glass.

1976–1986Shrewsbury Town262(33)

1986–1991Derby County73(3)

1991–1993Bristol Rovers43(2

A versatile player who could fill in all over the park= equally crap in all positions . His surname was me whenever he played.

Archived