Rubbish that commentators use (and overuse)

sage

8 hours ago, enachops said:

I also cannot stand Martin Tyler’s manufactured catchphrase, not a fan of his.

Having watched the classic games during lockdown, I’ve realised even more what a class act Brian Moore was. A brilliant commentator, the best there has been in my view. 

"AND IT'S LIIIIIIIIVE!"

DUCK RIGHT OFF!!!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Commentator's favourites from the good old days.....

"Very much six of one and half a dozen of the other!"

(Never could understand that!)

"This is a game of two halves!"

(Most of them were, if this had deeper significance it would need to be said after the match.)

Not forgetting the inevitable..

"Consolation goal!"

Scored by the team at the wrong end of a 6-1 thrashing which sends their supporters into "raptures" when most of them are actually halfway home by then!

Still reckon nowt beats Mr Ramage's

"All of a sudden!"

straight out of a primary school primer!

On 26/05/2020 at 06:30, JoetheRam said:

"Great defending" when the only reason the defender has had to sprint 30 yards and make a last ditch block is because he got caught out of position.

Were you watching when Pal McGrath played for us?

The guy couldn't have outsprinted a hippo in lead wellington boots, but he was oustanding.

His positional play and reading of the game was as good as any defender I have ever seen.

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

The guy couldn't have outsprinted a hippo in lead wellington boots, but he was oustanding.

His positional play and reading of the game was as good as any defender I have ever seen.

Scary thing is he was actually better in midfield. Maldini reckons he was the most complete player he ever lined up against. 

13 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

My first game was 1997 so missed McGrath by a season. Igor was the defender of my childhood. 

Well aware of his ability though, and think it's a negative aspect of the English game that we champion the 'all action' and denigrate the 'lazy'.

I do think that has changed a bit in recent years though.

14 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

A hippo can run at over 30 mph. If you can manage to put lead wellies on one you have my undying respect.

They're bad tempered whatsits anorl!

I hope Paul has never tried this stunt.

Merely an observation!

1 hour ago, Brummie Steve said:

A hippo can run at over 30 mph. If you can manage to put lead wellies on one you have my undying respect.

They're bad tempered whatsits anorl!

I hope Paul has never tried this stunt.

Merely an observation!

I think you ay be confusing them with rhinos mate, no ducking way can a hippo run at 30pm.

I'm trying to envision a hippo breezing past Usain Bolt during a 100m.

16 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I think you ay be confusing them with rhinos mate, no ducking way can a hippo run at 30pm.

They can run at 30 km/h so 19mph which is just under 12 seconds for 100m. Not going to win the Olympics but quick enough to kill 99.9% of this forum.  

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

My hippo can run faster than your hippo!

I hope Lightning never puts this to the test either!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived