Rubbish that commentators use (and overuse)

sage

Just watching Wolsburg v Dortmund and Steve McManaman was talking rubbish as usual. Then he said something that I've heard said repeatedly by commentators which is absolute drivel.

Hazard tried to curl a shot into the far top corner and puts it 3 yards wise. McManaman comes up with 'didn't get enough curl on it'. Ffs it curled already and had to curl another 3 yards. He set it out too wide. You see one of these shots go wide in most games you see and they always come out with the same poo.

Rant over.

Anybody else got repeated stupid comments made by commentators that annoy you.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are those times when they've made up their decision about an incident, get the chance to look at 5 or 6 replays and just repeat the same thing they said first time despite clear evidence they were talking nonsense, knowing it'll never get challenged.

You can play a little game with yourself (no, not that one), try to spot the comments where they set themselves up to sound good on the highlights package.

6 minutes ago, Coconut said:

There are those times when they've made up their decision about an incident, get the chance to look at 5 or 6 replays and just repeat the same thing they said first time despite clear evidence they were talking nonsense, knowing it'll never get challenged.

You can play a little game with yourself (no, not that one), try to spot the comments where they set themselves up to sound good on the highlights package.

I seem to recall Don Goodman doing this quite a lot.

"He's hit that too well".

"Great defending" when the only reason the defender has had to sprint 30 yards and make a last ditch block is because he got caught out of position. See the Richard Keogh/Fikayo Tomori school of defending and compare that with someone like Virgil Van Dijk. I always remember Maldini saying something like the only reason a defender could need to make a tackle is because he's already made a mistake. Always rang true to me as someone who played in defence.

Same thing applies to "World class goalkeeping", where the only reason the keeper dives full length and palms the ball out for a corner is because he was in the wrong position to start with and could have caught it if he'd been in the right position.

"Great feet for a big man". Do they ever say "Poor touch for a short arse"? No.

Archived