Best Derby player you ever saw who didn't win anything

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 22/05/2020 at 19:04, Bob The Badger said:

I think end of thread if you've only watched Derby 10 years or so, although @Sean made a good call with Mount even if I'd give the edge to Sir Will.

However, you cannot compare him to players like Mark Wright who shone in an England team that should have won the World Cup.

Daly was still better.

Him, Todd and Charlie are my all time favorite Rams, such a shame he was in a rapidly declining Derby team.

I have watched them for almost 50 years (crappolla I have wasted a lot of my time doing that) and would still say that William is the best footballer i have ever seen.

thr only one that comes close would be Archie and I think my memory has faded a little on that Wizard hence me going for William. 

Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

Bloody hell I couldn't remember 

We got promoted to the top flight and then inexplicably sold him to Leeds. When he came back on loan he was superb and we inexplicably did not res-sign him....

51 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

We got promoted to the top flight and then inexplicably sold him to Leeds. When he came back on loan he was superb and we inexplicably did not res-sign him....

Very good player.  Would have done well in the great team of the decade before

On 24/05/2020 at 16:42, richinspain said:

Mick Coop. Came to us with a great reputation, I believe he even won POTY at Coventry (when they were a reasonable 1st division team). I never even saw him win an effin' tackle in a Derby shirt!

Just had a check on Wiki and it says he made 18 appearances for us and scored 2 goals. I was going home and away during those years and cannot remember him taking a throw in never made scoring 2 goals. 

On 24/05/2020 at 17:42, richinspain said:

Mick Coop. Came to us with a great reputation, I believe he even won POTY at Coventry (when they were a reasonable 1st division team). I never even saw him win an effin' tackle in a Derby shirt!

Best Derby player you ever saw who didn't win anything ??

On 23/05/2020 at 16:36, Derby blood said:

For me the best players who never won anything with Derby is Dean Saunders, Mark Wright and the Tim man. Loved watching them play in Arthur cox's team. 

Goddard wasn't bad either.

That game away at Spurs when Ted absolutely ripped them to shreds.

Such an exciting team that was.

And we were the only team that season to do the double over Arsenal when they won the league.

Deano made a mug of Tony Adams at Highbury.

Good times!

32 minutes ago, europia said:

Best Derby player you ever saw who didn't win anything ??

As I said, he came to us with a very good reputation. I was pleased when we signed him. He turned out to be a complete turnip though. I honestly can't remember him winning a tackle.

Ok, serious answer any of Cox's trio of Wright, Saunders and McMinn. All three were fantastic players and it was a shame they never won us anything. Paul Goddard should be added to those as well but he left when he should have been one of the players pushing us on.

Archived