Sign in to follow this  
Curtains

EFL clarify the rest of the season

6 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Three teams getting promoted and none relegated from the premiership seriously increases our chances ( as well as others) of having a very decent season next year 

True but, the Premier League would presumably want to get back down to 20 teams fairly quickly so, unless six teams are relegated next year (can't see that happening) it does make you wonder how many would get promoted from the Championship. For that reason, I can't see the scenario you're talking about happening. 

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

To be fair, I was only commenting on the suggestion that we have just as much of a chance of finishing in the play offs as Forest and Preston. As much as I think we're in with a shot, the idea that our chances are just as good as those two teams, who are 5+ points ahead of us, is statistically untrue (unless you maths nerds can come up with something that can disprove that😂).

I don't really have an opinion on how it's decided to be honest. As bad as it sounds, a part of me doesn't want us to make up the ground if we play behind closed doors. Going up without being able to experience it in person would be completely anticlimactic for me.

🤣

Oh I think that the correlation between your personal attendance at football grounds and climaxes is well established......

😂👍

18 hours ago, Birdyabroad said:

Unless I’ve missed something, it is all very well the EFL saying top two promoted and play-offs to go ahead, but this is all dependant on one small detail, the Premier League.

The PL has not yet restarted and, therefore, has not YET made a decision on whether teams are to be relegated. 

Watford appear to be doing their best to throw a spanner in the works with Deeney not returning and a symptomless Mariappa contracting Covid.

So, as yet, there’s no conclusive decision that teams will be relegated from the PL this year. 

Think about it, a hell of a lot can happen between when the PL is scheduled to re-start and when it is due to end. A sudden spike in players testing positive for Covid or a rise in NHS cases and the plug could be pulled or the season curtailed.

In this scenario, you can bet that the PL would be facing massive legal challenges from the bottom 3 if relegation was enforced.

So, the EFL can say what they want, but the PL is a separate company and, until they make a decision, EFL words and plans are hollow.

There are many twists and turns on this road ahead and no-one knows what is around the corner.

Agreed I do think Watford are deliberately making it awkward for the Premier league to finish the season. 

6 hours ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

Agreed I do think Watford are deliberately making it awkward for the Premier league to finish the season. 

if so many of there players have this, or are coming into contact externally with those that have it, what have they been doing for the last 9 weeks .

Pearson said: “We’ve had a couple more people who have to be in isolation because they’ve been in close contact with people who have tested positive, even though their own result came back negative.”

He was referring to players when asked whether all his squad were training. “They’re not, no,” he said. “One through testing positive, two more through being in contact with somebody else, and the others because they decided not to come in. The regulations [state] that people who have had relatively close contact with other people have to go into isolation – in the same way as someone who has tested positive

The Watford defender Christian Kabasele said he had been happy to resume socially distanced training but would await details of the next steps before deciding whether to continue. “We will see what they are planning for phase two and phase three,” he told the Counter Attack podcast. “If it was starting tomorrow training 11 v 11 with contact, with everybody at the training ground, I would not go that’s for sure.”

The captain, Troy Deeney, is among the players who have opted not to train and he was part of a meeting with the government and league on Friday at which the Professional Footballers’ Association raised the concerns of black, Asian and minority ethnic players and asked the government to research data which indicates they are more likely to die from coronavirus.

22 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Three teams getting promoted and none relegated from the premiership seriously increases our chances ( as well as others) of having a very decent season next year 

I really dont want a 21-team Championship next season.

10 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

if so many of there players have this, or are coming into contact externally with those that have it, what have they been doing for the last 9 weeks .

Pearson said: “We’ve had a couple more people who have to be in isolation because they’ve been in close contact with people who have tested positive, even though their own result came back negative.”

He was referring to players when asked whether all his squad were training. “They’re not, no,” he said. “One through testing positive, two more through being in contact with somebody else, and the others because they decided not to come in. The regulations [state] that people who have had relatively close contact with other people have to go into isolation – in the same way as someone who has tested positive

The Watford defender Christian Kabasele said he had been happy to resume socially distanced training but would await details of the next steps before deciding whether to continue. “We will see what they are planning for phase two and phase three,” he told the Counter Attack podcast. “If it was starting tomorrow training 11 v 11 with contact, with everybody at the training ground, I would not go that’s for sure.”

The captain, Troy Deeney, is among the players who have opted not to train and he was part of a meeting with the government and league on Friday at which the Professional Footballers’ Association raised the concerns of black, Asian and minority ethnic players and asked the government to research data which indicates they are more likely to die from coronavirus.

Nigel Pearson was also stoking up the guilt trip a couple of weeks ago i noticed saying that the EPL would be unforgivable if a player died as a result of resuming football.

Being a Heanor lad i know a few around my age who know him, and believe it or not they said it wasn't him to come out and say that off hand so i am beginning to think someone on the Watford ownership is yanking his chain a bit. They also not known for their stable ownership over the past few seasons.

On 21/05/2020 at 13:55, Rab a dab doo said:

They are doing their very best to find reasons or excuses to dock us points, fine us and if at all possible demote us to League one without us kicking a ball.   

Of course they are.

The EFL were clearly in cahoots with Chinese scientists and developed the virus to get back at us.

The sooner people just wake up to this outrage the better if you ask me.

Regarding relegation and promotion - and I don't remember where i've got this from - don't UEFA state that the top division can have no more than a maximum of twenty teams so if no relegation then no promotion?  I've checked Spain, Italy, Portugal, France, Netherlands and err Norway and no others have more than twenty.

6 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Of course they are.

The EFL were clearly in cahoots with Chinese scientists and developed the virus to get back at us.

The sooner people just wake up to this outrage the better if you ask me.

4 minutes ago, Baj said:

Regarding relegation and promotion - and I don't remember where i've got this from - don't UEFA state that the top division can have no more than a maximum of twenty teams so if no relegation then no promotion?  I've checked Spain, Italy, Portugal, France, Netherlands and err Norway and no others have more than twenty.

image.png.8375f407ed23bc8a1eddd58543decf5e.png