EFL clarify the rest of the season

Curtains

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

That article clarifies about as much as a government coronavirus briefing 

Takes no account of the fact we have played Forest and Leeds away and not at home as points will be unweighted 

Did anybody really think the EFL have any interest at all in giving us any chance, however remote of the reaching the playoff's. 

They are doing their very best to find reasons or excuses to dock us points, fine us and if at all possible demote us to League one without us kicking a ball.   

16 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Takes no account of the fact we have played Forest and Leeds away and not at home as points will be unweighted 

Our season will play out unless something drastically changes so it doesn’t matter - we’ve known that for a long time.

8 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Our season will play out unless something drastically changes so it doesn’t matter - we’ve known that for a long time.

You think the season will be played out.  

But if a few players catch the coved 19 virus then the season will be curtailed.

This is what this statement is all about. 

Well that just confuses everything more...

Also, as the season isn't completed yet, shouldn't 'form' be considered in some way? Under the PPG proposal, Brentford, Forest and Preston are in the play-offs despite all 3 of them winning only 1 of their last 5 games before lockdown. Arguably ourselves, Millwall and QPR would have as good a chance of taking those 3 places if all games were to be played?

2 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

Also, as the season isn't completed yet, shouldn't 'form' be considered in some way? Under the PPG proposal, Brentford, Forest and Preston are in the play-offs despite all 3 of them winning only 1 of their last 5 games before lockdown. Arguably ourselves, Millwall and QPR would have as good a chance of taking those 3 places if all games were to be played?

Lots of variables but even the most die hard Derby fan would struggle to argue that we have as good a chance of finishing in the play offs as the teams currently in them places. 

3 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

Let’s just let em have their way, we can storm the league next season, I don’t want another Wembley experience, I’m not ready again yet.

23 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

That article clarifies about as much as a government coronavirus briefing 

In terms of agreeing a way forward if the season cannot be completed I think, on the whole, it's a clear proposal for the club's to vote on. The one thing I can't remember seeing is, what happens if they can't complete the play offs either. It obviously wouldn't affect Derby under this proposal but it would impact teams 3 - 6. 

It will be interesting to see if they manage to get the required 51%. Presumably the top 6 will be in favour and the bottom 3 against. It's anyone's guess how the other 15 would vote. Mel said he'd vote in favour of West Brom and Leeds getting promoted but didn't comment on the play off places. 

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

In terms of agreeing a way forward if the season cannot be completed I think, on the whole, it's a clear proposal for the club's to vote on. The one thing I can't remember seeing is, what happens if they can't complete the play offs either. It obviously wouldn't affect Derby under this proposal but it would impact teams 3 - 6. 

It will be interesting to see if they manage to get the required 51%. Presumably the top 6 will be in favour and the bottom 3 against. It's anyone's guess how the other 15 would vote. Mel said he'd vote in favour of West Brom and Leeds getting promoted but didn't comment on the play off places. 

I’d say 51 percent is likely wouldn’t you. 

13 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I'm not sure we can be that certain so, they need to have a contingency plan ready just in case.

6 minutes ago, Curtains said:

You think the season will be played out.  

But if a few players catch the coved 19 virus then the season will be curtailed.

This is what this statement is all about. 

The season will be played out unless the pandemic gets worse and we’re forced to tighten the lockdown again. If a few players catch the virus then they’ll have to self isolate and teams will have to deal without them, same as with any other injury. 

All the statement really says is we’re definitely not gonna do something mental like have promotion and no relegation, which some muppets have suggested as a possibility. I think most of us knew already that the final table would have the usual structure - whether played out on the pitch or not. A more interesting clarification would be a full detailed plan like the premier league project restart, showing how and when the season will resume.

Just now, Millenniumram said:

The season will be played out unless the pandemic gets worse and we’re forced to tighten the lockdown again. If a few players catch the virus then they’ll have to self isolate and teams will have to deal without them, same as with any other injury. 

All the statement really says is we’re definitely not gonna do something mental like have promotion and no relegation, which some muppets have suggested as a possibility. I think most of us knew already that the final table would have the usual structure - whether played out on the pitch or not. A more interesting clarification would be a full detailed plan like the premier league project restart, showing how and when the season will resume.

The testing plan for covid 19 for the players is expensive and that’s  why League 2 decided to finish the season 

League 1 I think will do the same. .

The Championship season is far from certain to be completed even with no crowds. 

Just now, Curtains said:

The testing plan for covid 19 for the players is expensive and that’s  why League 2 decided to finish the season 

League 1 I think will do the same. .

The Championship season is far from certain to be completed even with no crowds. 

It’s 100k a team. Not affordable in league two really - though really it’s sad a league doesn’t play out for financial reasons. Maybe the premier league should help? In league one I’d say it’s 50-50, bigger teams will be able to afford it, others won’t. I’d lean towards saying they won’t play out. In the championship it’s easily affordable in the main, I’d be absolutely astounded if the season wasn’t completed. Absolutely astounded. 

1 minute ago, Curtains said:

I’d say 51 percent is likely wouldn’t you. 

I think so.

As I say, the bottom three might well vote against (they don't have anything to gain but everything to lose). The likes of Bristol, Millwall, Cardiff, Blackburn and Swansea might do the maths to see if a weighted points per game might get them into the play offs and, if so, vote against.

Leeds, West Brom and teams in places 17-21 I would have thought would vote in favour. 

7 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I'm not sure we can be that certain so, they need to have a contingency plan ready just in case.

Of course we do, and it seems to be a pretty clear one. It’s just nothing we didn’t already know, so it’s not really clarified anything. What need clarification imo is how we intend to play the season out.

Just now, Millenniumram said:

It’s 100k a team. Not affordable in league two really - though really it’s sad a league doesn’t play out for financial reasons. Maybe the premier league should help? In league one I’d say it’s 50-50, bigger teams will be able to afford it, others won’t. I’d lean towards saying they won’t play out. In the championship it’s easily affordable in the main, I’d be absolutely astounded if the season wasn’t completed. Absolutely astounded. 

Of course you could be right. 

Id say the points deduction threat for certain teams and clubs wanting to sue etc means nothing is certain  .

The EFL have done DCFC no favours with this plan or anything else for that matter  

Archived