Scoring from free kicks

sage

But of a trip down memory lane combined with a bit of a game.

Name a Derby player you've seen score direct (or with a small lay off) from a free kick. 

No repeats and you have to give an example of them scoring.

I will start us off with Archie Gemmill. A bit obvious but I'm going to pick his beauty v Forest in the 83 Cup win.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Ace asanovic belting in the opener v Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. 1997 I think it was.

We lost 1-3 in the end. And that was in the days before Abramovich packed the Chelsea team with galacticos....

I remember that, it was from ridiculously far out too.

I'm going to go for Horacio Carbonari. He came with the nickname The Bazooka and a supposedly brilliant free kick behind him. The only one I remember him scoring was a daisy cutter, cant remember who it was against mind.

Decades from now I'm going to be telling my children about all of Harry Wilson's belters, both free kicks and long range efforts. If it was in range, it was pretty much already a goal as soon as he stepped up

3 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Ace asanovic belting in the opener v Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. 1997 I think it was.

We lost 1-3 in the end. And that was in the days before Abramovich packed the Chelsea team with galacticos....

I was in their west stand that day with my Chelsea mates. Jumped up when he scored and got kicked out. 

28 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I remember that, it was from ridiculously far out too.

I'm going to go for Horacio Carbonari. He came with the nickname The Bazooka and a supposedly brilliant free kick behind him. The only one I remember him scoring was a daisy cutter, cant remember who it was against mind.

I was in the big 3-tier East stand at Stamford Bridge middle tier and it was such a surprise that I couldn't help but go up....YEEESSSS!

Nearly earned myself a right kicking there and then.

Just now, Van der MoodHoover said:

I was in the big 3-tier East stand at Stamford Bridge middle tier and it was such a surprise that I couldn't help but go up....YEEESSSS!

Nearly earned myself a right kicking there and then.

Posh stand. 

1 hour ago, Tombo said:

Decades from now I'm going to be telling my children about all of Harry Wilson's belters, both free kicks and long range efforts. If it was in range, it was pretty much already a goal as soon as he stepped up

But only in the first half of the season. After that you were more likely to see the ball sail into the stand behind the goal. 

8 minutes ago, RIMBAUD said:

Idiakez.

He could place them down in Chad and still hit the goal in front of the North stand.

I'll provide the example for this one.

Idiakez is hands down the best free kick taker I've ever seen at Derby. He's the only player who I was more confident he'd score from a 30 yard free kick than from a penalty.

I love this game too. It really captures how frustrating and entertaining that Derby team were. Even watching the replay I feel like punching the air when Reich's diving header goes in.

1 minute ago, Anon said:

He's the only player who I was more confident he'd score from a 30 yard free kick than from a penalty.

Did he officially miss a penalty for us? The only one I remember is the Wolves home game where he had to retake it about 15,000 times. 

1 minute ago, rynny said:

Did he officially miss a penalty for us? The only one I remember is the Wolves home game where he had to retake it about 15,000 times. 

I'm sure he did. I still have nightmares about his daft stalled run up.

Archived