Sign in to follow this  
MackworthRamIsGod

Wage cap

I saw an article that said a wage cap will be introduced into the Championship next year ready for the start of the 2021/22 season and had it not been for the pesky Corona it would have been at the end of this season. The salary cap is set to be 15 to 20 million a year.

I think Rick Parry wants to cause as much trouble for the bigger clubs as possible, is he a Rotherham fan with small man syndrome or something?

A club relegated from the prem I'm sure will be given a couple of years grace, clubs promoted from League 1 will have loads of room in their wage bill to go wild in the aisles and clubs like Derby, Forest, Sheff Weds, any clubs already in the championship with high wages will be stuck in the sh!atter whilst scrambling to get rid of the high earners.

I cant see how it would work fairly.

11 minutes ago, Andicis said:

This is just going to make the gap between Premier League and Championship even bigger. What the EFL should be doing is negotiating a proper TV deal so the Championship can help close the divide, but that would be too sensible. 

I honestly think the wage cap needs to be placed in the Premier League, giving clubs 5 years to allow for contracts that have already been signed to play out, anyone after the 5 years not within the salary cap is automatically docked points. Once the salary cap comes in the parachute payments then reduce (or stop).

Then once the premier league is sorted the salary cap is introduced in the Championship and so on and so forth.

If its introduced in the championship and not the prem, if Derby got promoted they would be too scared to spend anything just in case they come down again and find themselves the wrong side of the law.

Parry and his chums seem to come up with rules without thinking fully about the implications. 

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I honestly think the wage cap needs to be placed in the Premier League, giving clubs 5 years to allow for contracts that have already been signed to play out, anyone after the 5 years not within the salary cap is automatically docked points. Once the salary cap comes in the parachute payments then reduce (or stop).

Then once the premier league is sorted the salary cap is introduced in the Championship and so on and so forth.

If its introduced in the championship and not the prem, if Derby got promoted they would be too scared to spend anything just in case they come down again and find themselves the wrong side of the law.

Parry and his chums seem to come up with rules without thinking fully about the implications. 

The whole point is to stop clubs from gatecrashing the top table. Man City put the fear of god into them and they have made sure no one else can do it.

Too many clubs for too few Champions league places is competition the big boys don't want.

7 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

The whole point is to stop clubs from gatecrashing the top table. Man City put the fear of god into them and they have made sure no one else can do it.

Too many clubs for too few Champions league places is competition the big boys don't want.

Like Leicester winning, totally disrupted the elite teams, 1 less champions league spot, can’t possibly have that.

I'm still suprised they let us win the FA Cup..........never mind the league twice.

Maybe we could go back to the black and white days and start all over again.............then again........

4 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Like Leicester winning, totally disrupted the elite teams, 1 less champions league spot, can’t possibly have that.

I don't think they are that bothered if its a one off like Leicester, they'll accept that one team might just have a once in a lifetime season and all the others have a mare at the same time.

The fear is that some club like Everton or Newcastle suddenly become as rich as Citeh and cause United, Arsenal, Chelsea or Liverpool to miss out. 

Yeah, I'm hoping the "top six" split off into some European super duper League and allow real competition to begin in their wake.

Scotland would benefit so much without the old firm, though I guess Hearts and Aberdeen may then dominate without measures in place to encourage competition.

Just feel like anything will get too messy. FFP is to messy today with workarounds and exclusions and so on.

Just scrap the whole thing but introduce a salary cap on what a player can earn to stop the sums getting ridiculous.

It's just funny that Parry talks of hitting the reset button on football, its exactly what is needed, but his idea of hitting the reset button is to screw as many championship clubs as possible.

It's like he has been sent on a mission from God (or the top 4 clubs), to ensure no one can do a Wolves and become a force over night.

The gap between the Prem and Championship is about to become even bigger and the days of being able to tempt Wayne Rooney to join your club will be long gone.

Still, it helps having a cracking academy full of talent.

56 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Still, it helps having a cracking academy full of talent.

Not really, they'll just get cherry-picked!

11 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

I'm still suprised they let us win the FA Cup..........never mind the league twice.

Maybe we could go back to the black and white days and start all over again.............then again........

I love the commentary 'Here comes the first goal and the fans go goal crazy' as everyone in the crowd are smiling in their suits. Different times.

13 hours ago, Andicis said:

This is just going to make the gap between Premier League and Championship even bigger. What the EFL should be doing is negotiating a proper TV deal so the Championship can help close the divide, but that would be too sensible. 

Couldn't agree more. There is such a disparity between the PL and EFL it's ridiculous. PL clubs received some £2.5bn in the 18/19 season and that's due to increase.  The EFL will get  circa £120m.  Then you get the parachute payments if you're relegated, spread over 3 years.  So the lovely Cardiff (sarcasm) will have received some £40m after relegation, then another £35m.  

Yes wages need to be realistic and sustainable but at its core is, in my opinion the broadcasting deals negotiated.  Just because they're in the PL doesn't mean they're more entertaining.  Would you rather watch Derby v Florest / the Dirties or BHA v Palace (no disrespect to them).  I know which would be more entertaining and warrant parting with my hard earned cash. 

A wage cap in football should reflect the wage cap one has in spending in one's life.

If you can't afford something then don't buy it.

That way you'll never be in debit.

Why has anybody in football, ever thought of that before I wonder.

Simple and effective really.

14 hours ago, Andicis said:

13 hours ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

I agree with the idea of capping players' wages in general. Footballers are on stupid money. But if there is to be a wage cap it needs to be agreed to globally and implemented in all leagues worldwide... otherwise players will just move to where the money is.

Both of these for me.  I've been saying for years that a cap should be brought in, but it wouldn't work if - 

A) Everyone's not signed up for it.

B) The gap in caps isn't too great from division to division, therefore the EFL should grow some balls, stop thinking of themselves as the Premier League's poor little brother and market themselves better.  

Also unless clubs have had fair warning (maybe they have), you cant just introduce it.

A little bit like the EFL deciding to change their mind about our business and then retrospectively charging us, certain contracts wouldnt have been agreed, players not signed had clubs known this was coming. Another reason why I think Rick Parry is on a 1 man mission to cause as much disruption as possible for the bigger clubs in the championship.

I never thought a breakaway premier league would ever happen but I think it's the only way I can see the other 72 clubs competing for anything.

I’d suggest a total salary limit to 75% of trading turnover, which does not include transfer fees received. Then also a individual salary limit of £20k in the championship. Then if promoted the players get a rise, if relegated then they drop to EFL wages.

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

Both of these for me.  I've been saying for years that a cap should be brought in, but it wouldn't work if - 

A) Everyone's not signed up for it.

B) The gap in caps isn't too great from division to division, therefore the EFL should grow some balls, stop thinking of themselves as the Premier League's poor little brother and market themselves better.  

Therein lies the problem though, everyone won't sign up to it.

If EFL do it the La liga 2 won't or Bundesliga 2 for that matter.

The best players will just go where they will earn the most dosh.

1 hour ago, Rab a dab doo said:

A wage cap in football should reflect the wage cap one has in spending in one's life.

If you can't afford something then don't buy it.

That way you'll never be in debit.

Why has anybody in football, ever thought of that before I wonder.

Simple and effective really.

The same reason many people don’t apply it to “spending in one’s life”.

There are sadly plenty of folk who spend beyond their means. It’s not just football clubs.