Jump to content
B4ev6is

Who remmber deon burton

Recommended Posts

On 18/05/2020 at 17:24, 1967RAMS said:

Poor mans Nick Blackman 

Sorry, I just don't understand that.  He was a decent player for us in one of the most exciting teams in the clubs recent history. Burton was in the Rest of the World XI, sharing a dressing room with the likes of Brazils Ronaldo and Argentine Gabriel Batistuta. How many Rams players have that on their CV?  

Share this post


Link to post

Didn’t like him.

not helped by him giving Derby fans the finger gesture away at Leicester.

Share this post


Link to post

lived next door to a mate of mine .  He used to go out with Scary Spices sister, who may have been an actress . Quite a nice bloke apparently, but his car stereo was a pain in the arse.  I can remember him going on a little run of games perhaps starting away at Sheff Wed , where he scored crackers for a few games , other than that squad player really. 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I remember him coming back from injury to play a couple of times after we had been relegated and everyone thought he was the second coming after scoring I believe a good goal against Sheffield United... then we sold him just cause we are Derby.

i do also remember him taking one of the worst penalties I’ve ever seen against Ipswich in that relegation season. If you mention the name Deon Burton to my dad he still says ‘why didn’t he just bloody smash it in’.  

Edited by Ramos

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, europia said:

Sorry, I just don't understand that.  He was a decent player for us in one of the most exciting teams in the clubs recent history. Burton was in the Rest of the World XI, sharing a dressing room with the likes of Brazils Ronaldo and Argentine Gabriel Batistuta. How many Rams players have that on their CV?  

It wasn’t meant to be taken seriously, it was a little jesting of B4’s dislike of Nick Blackman 

Share this post


Link to post

thought he was good player, didnt he have a stint on radio Derby commentating on games and got alot of stick for being honest and negative of the team?? 

Share this post


Link to post

I liked him though he could be frustrating at times. more than able back up for the likes of Wanchope & Sturridge at the time...remember him tearing Bolton to shreds at PP at the back end of the 97/98 season, what a years that was <sigh>

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, OUTSIDER said:

thought he was good player, didnt he have a stint on radio Derby commentating on games and got alot of stick for being honest and negative of the team?? 

You might be thinking of Deano. Sturridge did the commentary during our ill fated 11 points season. He immediately noticed how crap the team were and said so, repeatedly. He got a lot of unfair criticism for being miserable. What the hell was he meant to do?

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Anon said:

You might be thinking of Deano. Sturridge did the commentary during our ill fated 11 points season. He immediately noticed how crap the team were and said so, repeatedly. He got a lot of unfair criticism for being miserable. What the hell was he meant to do?

Appreciate the desire to stop Villa scoring a seventh 

Ramage missed his moment that year, innit?

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Appreciate the desire to stop Villa scoring a seventh 

Ramage missed his moment that year, innit?

We nick a late consolation goal whilst losing 6-2 to Arsenal.

"There's summat speshul 'appnin 'ere"

Share this post


Link to post

Finished his career at my local club, Worcester City (see my profile photo), and helped us reach the first round of the FA Cup for a second year running in 2015. A class player. I was there to applaud him off the pitch on his last game. 

Many years before as a kid I saw him play for Derby in a pre-season friendly against Real Mallorca too, I believe. 

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Anon said:

You might be thinking of Deano. Sturridge did the commentary during our ill fated 11 points season. He immediately noticed how crap the team were and said so, repeatedly. He got a lot of unfair criticism for being miserable. What the hell was he meant to do?

Yep it Sturridge 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.