Clough to step down

RiddingsRam

40 minutes ago, Coconut said:

None of which means their supporters will just accept things going stale and them eventually falling back down the leagues, unfortunately.

I don't know anything about Burton or their fans to be honest, but it would be a bit disappointing if they didn't appreciate Clough's work. Getting them into the Championship was some achievement and even though they were soon to be relegated, beating us 3-1 must surely be a memory akin to our play-off win against Leeds - something to remember and treasure. I hope so anyway.

Why do you think they'll fall back down the tables? Genuine question. They seem to have established themselves ok in L1. I reckon Bucko might just do ok too, seasoned old pro that he is.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know anything about Burton or their fans to be honest, but it would be a bit disappointing if they didn't appreciate Clough's work. Getting them into the Championship was some achievement and even though they were soon to be relegated, beating us 3-1 must surely be a memory akin to our play-off win against Leeds - something to remember and treasure. I hope so anyway.

Why do you think they'll fall back down the tables? Genuine question. They seem to have established themselves ok in L1. I reckon Bucko might just do ok too, seasoned old pro that he is.

I think most Burton fans will be very sorry to see him go, and that this is effectively a case of 'greater love hath no man than to lay down his life (or in this case his job) for his friends'.  Younger Burton fans (which is a bit of a contradiction in terms in itself) only know the team from being in the league, and some have deluded expectations on what The Mighty Brewers might achieve.  As such, they are probably less upset. 

For me, NC's spell at Derby came out just about on the positive side, but it was definitely time for him to go when he did.  He made some great signings (Bryson, Martin, Forsyth) and some terrible ones (Croft, Sammon, Tyson).  Few of his loan signings worked, and while it was great that he gave Hughes and Hendrick the chance to establish themselves early on, I think he did Bennett's career no favours at all be playing him at 15, which led to unrealistic expectations about MB's potential.  But when it comes to Burton, Clough's record is for me beyond criticism.

4 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Nail ... head ...

all the great managers had the coaching/backroom staff balance nailed. Nigel’s personal qualities are admirable, but I wonder if he’d been more ruthless with the coaching element, how successful he could be. 

Nigel's loyalty is his greatest quality and biggest weakness.

20 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Nigel's loyalty is his greatest quality and biggest weakness.

I’d say his loyalty was definitely is greatest quality and some of those players tried their hearts out for him, look how Bradford and Bucks have followed him around; you don’t do that without commanding respect.

I’d still say his stubbornness was his biggest weakness, trying to find a system for Coutts, Hendrick, Hughes and Bryso to fit was one example that although dream teamish, never seemed to gel too often with a best 11 in my opinion. Shame he never did better here.

What he’s done for Burton should be beyond criticism, only delusional fans of the Brewers, can’t see that 2 seasons in the championship is a major achievement over and above expectations.

That he’s gone from Burton, is testament to his relationship with Ben Robinson to no doubt do the right thing for the club; again full credit to him. 

Good luck to Bucko, he’ll need it because the Brewers will be on a shoestring, maybe some of our academy lads could gain good experience; Max Hunt for one.

3 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I've always taken an interest in Burton due to family connections. The younger fans (30 and under) have never really known a Burton team that hasn't been winning games or challenging at the top end of tables... so a surprising amount of them have been pretty apethetic towards Nigel and the club in the last couple of seasons.

They have a small squad, low attendances, possibly the lowest budget in the league and the majority of the more experienced players are out of contract at the end of the season. Bucko has his work cut out. I think keeping them in L1 next season would be an achievement.

6 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Nail ... head ...

all the great managers had the coaching/backroom staff balance nailed. Nigel’s personal qualities are admirable, but I wonder if he’d been more ruthless with the coaching element, how successful he could be. 

I’ve spoken to Oliver sarkic who lives round the corner from me. He said that if players don’t want to train or feel they won’t be fit for the game if they train then they don’t have to. They only train 3 times a week as it is. Proper old school. But they had big respect for him as a manager 

20 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Hunt left in Jan on a perm deal. 

D’ohh missed that, oh well still be happy to see a loanee or two going to Burton, expect they will have a really thin squad and need to max out on loans; I’d always expect Jake to do right by the Rams.

Not sure St Nigel deserves all the talk of laying down his life for the sake of others. That's not what the article says. It says they were effectively laid off and we don't know what if any severence package is involved.

Presumably he/they could have agreed to stay with a big pay cut? Dunno

4 hours ago, Van Wolfie said:

Not sure St Nigel deserves all the talk of laying down his life for the sake of others. That's not what the article says. It says they were effectively laid off and we don't know what if any severence package is involved.

Presumably he/they could have agreed to stay with a big pay cut? Dunno

If Nigel shares any of his fathers political views (which I am sure he does) then I would suggest that he has done exactly that.

He doesn't need the money and stepping aside and saving Burton Albion thousands of pounds a week might just be what keeps them afloat...

Top man in my book.

Tough gig for Jake that is! Good luck to him though. He's a 100% normal lovely bloke. Our kids go to school together and play footie together. Although when I first told the Mrs who he was she came home the next night and said...

"omg I was talking to that footballer bloke in the playground and he actually had his initials sewed into his tracksuit so everyone knew who he was!"

"Umm, that was probably just his training kit Louise, that's fine..."

Archived