Clough to step down

RiddingsRam

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta say, the fact he’s stepped down so others can keep their jobs, shows you what a good man he is. 

Not to open old arguments but it does occasionally annoy thinking that if he’d just taken the shackles off more, and had a better coaching team, he could’ve done so much better for us...

Burton must really be in the poo financially. I thought Nige had a job there for as long as he wanted it.

I'm sure another football league club will end up getting themselves a bloody good manager as a result of this. And best of luck to Bucko going into management... he'll need it by the sounds of it... but if anyone can inspire a group of players, I'm confident he can

15 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Gotta say, the fact he’s stepped down so others can keep their jobs, shows you what a good man he is. 

Not to open old arguments but it does occasionally annoy thinking that if he’d just taken the shackles off more, and had a better coaching team, he could’ve done so much better for us...

Nail ... head ...

all the great managers had the coaching/backroom staff balance nailed. Nigel’s personal qualities are admirable, but I wonder if he’d been more ruthless with the coaching element, how successful he could be. 

32 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Yep. 

I like the bloke but he's his own worst enemy more often than not. His temper and stubbornness have not always worked for him. 

The things he values are all the things that we want to see. Nice football, hard graft, a real desire to get results, honesty etc

But these things are sometimes a contradiction. Jim Smith had to put up with some egos that Nigel would have binned. TBE created a mix of characters so bizarre and interesting that we still hold them dear to our hearts today even though some of them haven't actually played many games for us. It was just a crazy group that Jim must have had to battle with. Showed himself to be a good man manager. 

Nigel though could never do that. If somebody goes against the grain then your days are numbered. Sometimes he seems to do something purely because so many people are saying it's not working. 

He's loyal to his players. 

I just think he wants to pretend that football doesn't have egos, mercenaries, talented lazy bar stewards etc. He seems to believe that if you work hard then you get what you deserve. But you don't. Some footballers are so talented and gifted that you have to kind of go with it. Even in the lower divisions 

He actually seemed to accept Kris Commons as one of those players. He picked him whenever fit? 

But mostly he was all about the basics. 

The Cywka thing never bothered me. I don't think it bothered Cywka. But there is an example of what Nigel wants. He doesn't want Cywka expressing himself. He wants him to kick the ball into the corner and see the points in the bag.

That's the team that we often saw. A team on a leash. 

A shame because when there was no pressure on him and Derby then you could see that he was onto something. Too often he squashed it.

Luke Moore > Shefki Kuqi. Why? Because Moore was his idea to bring in and Kuqi wasn't? Because people told him Moore was poo and he dug his heels in? 

Moore was fecking poo. Even worse than Sammon imo because Sammon looked hopeless. Moore could apparently play football a bit but turned up here and looked like a big ego half arsed player without ever earning the right. Donkey

4 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Yep. 

I like the bloke but he's his own worst enemy more often than not. His temper and stubbornness have not always worked for him. 

The things he values are all the things that we want to see. Nice football, hard graft, a real desire to get results, honesty etc

But these things are sometimes a contradiction. Jim Smith had to put up with some egos that Nigel would have binned. TBE created a mix of characters so bizarre and interesting that we still hold them dear to our hearts today even though some of them haven't actually played many games for us. It was just a crazy group that Jim must have had to battle with. Showed himself to be a good man manager. 

Nigel though could never do that. If somebody goes against the grain then your days are numbered. Sometimes he seems to do something purely because so many people are saying it's not working. 

He's loyal to his players. 

I just think he wants to pretend that football doesn't have egos, mercenaries, talented lazy bar stewards etc. He seems to believe that if you work hard then you get what you deserve. But you don't. Some footballers are so talented and gifted that you have to kind of go with it. Even in the lower divisions 

He actually seemed to accept Kris Commons as one of those players. He picked him whenever fit? 

But mostly he was all about the basics. 

The Cywka thing never bothered me. I don't think it bothered Cywka. But there is an example of what Nigel wants. He doesn't want Cywka expressing himself. He wants him to kick the ball into the corner and see the points in the bag.

That's the team that we often saw. A team on a leash. 

A shame because when there was no pressure on him and Derby then you could see that he was onto something. Too often he squashed it.

Luke Moore > Shefki Kuqi. Why? Because Moore was his choice and Kuqi wasn't? Because people told him Moore was poo and he dug his heels in? 

Moore was fecking poo. Even worse than Sammon imo because Sammon looked hopeless. Moore could apparently play football a bit but turned up here and looked like a big ego half arsed player without ever earning the right. Donkey

The Kuqi thing is the most annoying because when he was at the point of the attack, in front of Commons, Cwyka, and Bueno, we were pretty much unplayable... 

Perhaps I've got my rose-tinteds on but in the run-up to Mac1, on occasions we played some lovely, heads up football. I think after all the toils with getting us on an even keel financially, Nigel was so close to producing a really good side. Yes, he could be stubborn and yes, Mac took us to new heights, but I'll always respect what Clough gave to the club. Mac inherited a decent enough squad and was a shrewd enough coach to make the required tweaks but he had some decent players at his disposal too.

This latest decision of Nigel's just reaffirms for me that he's a decent and principled man. I hope he's back in the game soon enough. Good luck to Bucko also. Got plenty of love for him too.

No real surprise once you read the reasons why... clubs in league one will almost certainly be really struggling over the next few months, with the league looking likely not to be played out. Clough has done a really honourable thing resigning in order to help with Burton’s financial situation - and hopefully stop them going out of business. Good on him. I’m sure he will get another job in league one pretty quickly, once this mess is sorted out - he’s proven himself at that level.

14 minutes ago, Coconut said:

I suppose it's as good an excuse as any other to get out before anyone starts criticising your lack of progress and fading hopes of ever getting back up to The Championship.

I mean a club the size of Burton and with the budget of Burton has no business being in league one, let alone the Championship. They've been over performing for years.

8 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I mean a club the size of Burton and with the budget of Burton has no business being in league one, let alone the Championship. They've been over performing for years.

None of which means their supporters will just accept things going stale and them eventually falling back down the leagues, unfortunately.

I deleted a load of photo's at the weekend unfortunately including the one of Nigel Clough and Jake Buxton having a good laugh on the bench, I posted it somewhere on here, but have probably deleted it, to create space to post other photo's etc, I think it was when they knocked Forest out of the League Cup in 2018.

Anyway this one will have to do.

image.jpeg

Archived