Things I Learned Today About Derby County

The first Derby player to score a goal that I actually witnessed in the flesh is called Archie Gemmill.

2-2 draw at The Baseball Ground on September 17th 1977.

I also learnt that Billy Hughes scored the second goal against Leeds United, so both goals were scored by Scottish players, David Hunt made his debut and it was Archie Gemmill's last appearance before moving to Nottingham Forest but he returned in 1982. 
And also that Tony Macken made his last appearance before moving to Wallsall in October.

image.jpeg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first game happened to be Shilton's last game and saw a Paul Williams Hat trick!

I had not long turned 6 and don't actually remember this game specifically, I only know it was the first game I went to as the Shilton fact made it easy for my dad to remember!

image.png.9a3247f505a9e529f688cfa3dec9aa1a.png

29 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Pretty sure David James was in goal for Watford that day. 

You are absolutely right! I never knew that. Who'd have thought watching in 1992 that the opposition goalkeeper would go onto play international football with our 2020 captain!

Wonder if we've seen any future team mates of our 2048 captain this season?!

On 18/05/2020 at 13:09, Inverurie Ram said:

The first Derby player to score a goal that I actually witnessed in the flesh is called Archie Gemmill.

2-2 draw at The Baseball Ground on September 17th 1977.

I also learnt that Billy Hughes scored the second goal against Leeds United, so both goals were scored by Scottish players, David Hunt made his debut and it was Archie Gemmill's last appearance before moving to Nottingham Forest but he returned in 1982. 
And also that Tony Macken made his last appearance before moving to Wallsall in October.

image.jpeg

That is a really decent side we put out, it makes me so sad to think what the Doc did with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, it was yesterday that I learned this... sorry to be so far off topic...

According to Roy Mac's book (I've only gone and downloaded it onto my 'phone!  How down with the kids am I, eh?)

erm... oh yeah... King Kevin of Hectorshire was apparently "The first British Player to score a European Cup goal on Italian soil (The 3-1 defeat at Juventus in '73).

I never knew that!

What with him, and Strupar's claim to fame, we can be quite the big fish, when we set our minds to it, innit!  ??

On 20/05/2020 at 10:58, Sweetness34 said:

You are absolutely right! I never knew that. Who'd have thought watching in 1992 that the opposition goalkeeper would go onto play international football with our 2020 captain!

Wonder if we've seen any future team mates of our 2048 captain this season?!

Or be THAT BAD at Strictly 

image.thumb.png.800075e13123b008714a528b752c7959.png

My first game - it confirms I did manage to see Roy Mac and Toddy and King Kev in flesh.

It also confirms my very first goal was a David Nish one - that has got to be long odds

Did not know I saw Mick Coop or Barry Powell..

5 hours ago, Dethorn said:

My first game - it confirms I did manage to see Roy Mac and Toddy and King Kev in flesh.

It also confirms my very first goal was a David Nish one - that has got to be long odds

You mean you never got to see them in a Derby shirt? You just don't know what you missed!

6 hours ago, Dethorn said:

I remember watching us play Coventry in the late 80s when someone shouted out, 'You bar stewards. You sold us Nick Pickering.' Then from across the terrace, a lone voice wistfully added, 'And Barry Powell'. As Derby supporters, we are but collections of painful memories.

Archived