Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Curtains

Harry on Mel and Frank appointment

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

If you think that you could get San Marino to the World Cup finals and only get knocked out by Spain on penalties, then yep I would say it meant you were a good manager...maybe throw in a championship where you totally dominated the league from start to finish too....? 

and this is the problem.... the Champions league is everything isn't it....? NOPE, it is nowhere NEAR as big as the world cup...… not even close.... just for a comparison.... 11.3 million people watched the champions league final last year......where as.....just your 26.6 million watched the England v Croatia game in the world cup..... don't believe the TV hype, no one cares about the European cup.

Listen to Mourinho, he believes the standard of football is far higher in the Champions League than any recent World Cup.

 

http://en.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/23400.html

 

The man knows what he is on about.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Big game like that you'd understand him keeping something to hurt Villa on the bench but keeping it all stashed away on a gamble we get to the hour mark still in the game shows you he either had great faith in his players such as Bennett or that he completely screwed up in a big game. 

If that was Chelsea in a crunch match then he'd be mocked on every back page.

Hindsight is a wonderfull thing, I only wished I'v got it, Marriott coming on and with Waghorn 10mins later showed he was probably right, But damage was done at 2-0, At 2-1 you could sense Villa hanging on, Another 10mins and who knows 😉

Finger pointing is an excersize supporters are very good at when things don't go to plan.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, TramRam said:

Hindsight is a wonderfull thing, I only wished I'v got it, Marriott coming on and with Waghorn 10mins later showed he was probably right, But damage was done at 2-0, At 2-1 you could sense Villa hanging on, Another 10mins and who knows 😉

Finger pointing is an excersize supporters are very good at when things don't go to plan.

But he did similar in the 2nd L**ds game - when do you think he'd have bought Marriott on if Holmes injury hadn't worsened? He got lucky!

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

But he did similar in the 2nd L**ds game - when do you think he'd have bought Marriott on if Holmes injury hadn't worsened? He got lucky!

I think most Derby Fans thought Frank should have started Jack at Wembley and were genuinely surprised by the decision.  

Share this post


Link to post

I loved last season, not on par with Jim Smith and Steve McClaren’s first tenure, but it’s right up there behind them.

So many great memories, not just that night at Elland Road. 

As for his departure, go back and listen to Mel’s interview on RamsTV. But that won’t fit the narrative some have in mind.

Mick McCarthy is great in a gif but wouldn’t want him anywhere near the club, think I would even prefer to give Nigel Pearson another crack than appointing him.

If things were to go wrong with Cocu and Lampard left Chelsea, would welcome him back with open arms but it won’t happen as will be the next England manager and I can’t wait for that.

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

But he did similar in the 2nd L**ds game - when do you think he'd have bought Marriott on if Holmes injury hadn't worsened? He got lucky!

My guess would have been begining of the 2nd half, But it's only a guess, 2-0 down on agg you have to give it a go, Unfortunate that Holmes was injured, Lucky that 2 Leeds players gave us hope.

An injury to Holmes that paid off, We can all point at circumstances where instances change games, Roos for Villas 2nd for instance, Derby not clearing corners ie away at Barnsley/Luton costing points come to mind, If Casilla and Cooper hadn't gotten caught in the headlights of a Ford Cosworth doing 100mph then Marriott wouldn't have scored, If Cooper hadn't have pulled Bennett down we wouldn't have got a penalty, It's all small margins that turn games, We just had the where with all to take an opportunity they gave us.

FWIW I think FL will have a very good career as a Manager, He came to us as a novice, IMO made mistakes But left a lot wiser, Mistakes are there to be learned, If not football careers don't last to long.

Was FL lucky...hhmm not sure, You still have to deal with the situation that's given you, IMO Leeds froze after HT, They thought the game was done and dusted when they went 1-0 up and 2-0 on agg

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, David said:

I loved last season, not on par with Jim Smith and Steve McClaren’s first tenure, but it’s right up there behind them.

So many great memories, not just that night at Elland Road. 

As for his departure, go back and listen to Mel’s interview on RamsTV. But that won’t fit the narrative some have in mind.

Mick McCarthy is great in a gif but wouldn’t want him anywhere near the club, think I would even prefer to give Nigel Pearson another crack than appointing him.

If things were to go wrong with Cocu and Lampard left Chelsea, would welcome him back with open arms but it won’t happen as will be the next England manager and I can’t wait for that.

My favourite memory is off him taking the piss out of us on his birthday, when the players were waiting to go on a pointless trip to play American pub teams and he was on a jolly .  If you would welcome him back with open arms ahead of a manager with two promotions and four playoffs under his belt fair enough .

Personally, I would rather have Pearson back than Lampard and a new five year deal for Anya.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

My favourite memory is off him taking the piss out of us on his birthday, when the players were waiting to go on a pointless trip to play American pub teams and he was on a jolly .  If you would welcome him back with open arms ahead of a manager with two promotions and four playoffs under his belt fair enough .

Personally, I would rather have Pearson back than Lampard and a new five year deal for Anya.

You mean the video where he was just sat there laughing as his mates were winding him up on his birthday? 

Preferred the nights at Elland Road and Old Trafford over that nothing video.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, David said:

You mean the video where he was just sat there laughing as his mates were winding him up on his birthday? 

Preferred the nights at Elland Road and Old Trafford over that nothing video.

I do mean that video with it's delightful soundtrack.  Wins over Man Utd seen plenty.  Wins in the playoffs seen them as well. Most rather by managerial decision than luck forced by injury.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I do mean that video with it's delightful soundtrack.  Wins over Man Utd seen plenty.  Wins in the playoffs seen them as well. Most rather by managerial decision than luck forced by injury.

Yes, we knocked Man United out of the cup at Old Trafford because of luck forced by injury.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Yes, we knocked Man United out of the cup at Old Trafford because of luck forced by injury.

I was referring to the Leeds match .  Old Trafford was luck as well mind, unless you don't consider a penalty shoot out a lottery.

Share this post


Link to post

It seems to me that some of us went on an emotional journey (literally) last season with a young inexperienced manager and team that had charisma and charm. We bought into the dream and loved the experience. 

Others sat back and viewed it more dispassionately. They might have the more realistic view, but I'd take my memories over theirs every time.

I watch football with my heart as well as my head, and last season for me was one that will live in the memory for a long time. 

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

At the time Ireland were ranked 12- 14 in the world rankings and in the same pot as England in the world cup draw. Lampard got his job at Chelsea because there fans had an obsession with him getting it .  He would never have sniffed a job in the premier league if not.

We had a good run in the cups and went to Wembley. If we had a poo season or even average one I doubt Chelski owner or the fans would have even thought about Franck

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I do mean that video with it's delightful soundtrack.  Wins over Man Utd seen plenty.  Wins in the playoffs seen them as well. Most rather by managerial decision than luck forced by injury.

You do get lucky throughout the season, but just luck will not get you to Wembley and the play off final.

We should be incredibly grateful to Frank and the spotlight he placed on the club and raising the profile, seeing the likes of Ashley Cole in a Derby shirt, sponsorships which has seen us negotiate star player clauses to allow us to bring Wayne Rooney in, a player which Lampard made the initial suggestion last year. I find the bitterness baffling to be honest, even our owner spoke to us through a video over his departure and removed all blame whilst wishing him luck, yet here we are a year on with some still criticising him. Surely the owner will have a pretty good idea of what went on and has no reason to speak so well of him.

Each to their own I guess, I will always look back on last season as one of the best I have seen and will always look out for his results as a manager, hoping he does well.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, David said:

You do get lucky throughout the season, but just luck will not get you to Wembley and the play off final.

We should be incredibly grateful to Frank and the spotlight he placed on the club and raising the profile, seeing the likes of Ashley Cole in a Derby shirt, sponsorships which has seen us negotiate star player clauses to allow us to bring Wayne Rooney in, a player which Lampard made the initial suggestion last year. I find the bitterness baffling to be honest, even our owner spoke to us through a video over his departure and removed all blame whilst wishing him luck, yet here we are a year on with some still criticising him. Surely the owner will have a pretty good idea of what went on and has no reason to speak so well of him.

Each to their own I guess, I will always look back on last season as one of the best I have seen and will always look out for his results as a manager, hoping he does well.

Fair enough.  On a personal note, I look forward to the day I see him at Leyton Orient and believe our club is bigger than Frank Lampard.  I feel no gratitude to a man who treated the club he was supposed to be manager off so ungraciously. 

Share this post


Link to post

I got criticised by one or so on a thread when Frank Lampard was appointed and I put something along the lines of, it's a shame he's a spiv, a Chelsea man through and through etc. And that's what he was when he joined us, when he was with us and when he left us, so I'm a bit confused why anybody would get upset by any of his actions. 

I think the main point here is, it's a shame their are not any coaches, managers out there as passionate about Derby County as he is Chelsea, or better still someone like Chris Wilder at Sheffield United, who would join us and better still, make us successful as we can be.

Hopefuly Philip Cocu stays safe, stays fit and stays connected with us for a very long time to bring us all the success we crave.

If not maybe Super Jake Buxton will come back to us down the line and be the man that can.

Edited by Inverurie Ram

Share this post


Link to post

I've never really understood why so much of the fanbase have retained a fondness and a level of empathy for Lampard but can still muster all the insults under the sun when it comes to Rowett.

They were both guilty of the same - leaving a job unfinished, leaving a club in flux, and leaving at the first sign of interest from elsewhere - and as such I hold them both in the same regard.

In fact, you could argue Lampard comes out of it looking worse. At least Rowett's departure was reasonably swift and didn't develop into a saga played out in the national media.

I wouldn't go as far as waving inflatable snakes in their direction, but both of them definitely went down in my estimation when they left and neither of them have been missed. Personally, there is no clamour for a return and neither of them deserve a second spell in charge.

I'm very much of the belief you should at least attempt to finish the job you started. If you get fired, like in the case of McClaren, I take no issue. If, like in the case of Davies and Burley, you leave and you can look back knowing you have given the job everything and taken the club as far as you possibly can, I take no issue.

Did Lampard take us as far as he could? Who knows, but I would have a lot more respect for him if he had turned down Chelsea and actually focused on his job here.

Has anything he has done at Chelsea so far actually enhanced his reputation as a manager? Has there actually been an indication he has what it takes to get them back in the running for titles and trophies? I'd say no. After all, they are very much on course to finish behind Leicester and United could still pip them to fourth place. And in terms of challenging for honours, they look miles away.

In the long run, staying with us, getting the club promoted and establishing the club in the top flight and upsetting the odds would have looked far better on his CV than what he is currently doing - treading water with Chelsea. A situation I don't see changing very soon.

No-one will remember this season for Lampard and Chelsea finishing fourth. They will remember it for Chris Wilder and Sheffield United defying all logic and qualifying for Europe and for Brendan Rodgers and Leicester outperforming four of the traditional top six clubs.

Oh, and Villa doing a Fulham, of course.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.