Sign in to follow this  
Curtains

What are we missing most about Derby County

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Watched it myself, took me back to the days when football was so enjoyable.

FA Cup final was the pinnacle.  3 oclock Saturday afternoon, whole family watching the build up to the game, all having a bet on the score.

Can't remember last time I watched an FA Cup final.

What the FA did to the FA cup is scandalous. I generally don’t know when the match kicks off now. It seems to have moved to Sunday late afternoons in order to ensure that people can’t travel back on public transport.

Personally I still dream of a Wembley FA cup final but maybe that is just a misty eyed dream of an ageing generation. 

6 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

What the FA did to the FA cup is scandalous. I generally don’t know when the match kicks off now. It seems to have moved to Sunday late afternoons in order to ensure that people can’t travel back on public transport.

Personally I still dream of a Wembley FA cup final but maybe that is just a misty eyed dream of an ageing generation. 

Premier League clubs ruined the FA Cup.

Unfortunately Championship clubs have followed their lead and made it even worse.

I'd like to see teams in Europe excluded from the FA Cup but the winners get a UEFA Cup (I refuse to call it by any other stupid name) place.

6 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

FA Cup final was the pinnacle.  3 oclock Saturday afternoon, whole family watching the build up to the game, all having a bet on the score.

And It is a really good game....Coventry are the better team...no off sides, no one crying about fouls, just 2 teams playing to win. 
Watching the Cup final was the only time myself and my dad ever spoke about football, he hated It (still does) but would sit and watch the cup final every year..

On 15/05/2020 at 21:58, MuespachRam said:

Coventry v Spurs is one of the most iconic games of a generation. 

13 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

12 hours ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

I fear there may be a hefty percentage of (younger) posters/readers on here who may consider the above to be nothing more than starry-eyed tosh!  I'm here to help spread the word!  It really was the biggest day in the football calendar.  The cameras on board the team coaches as they took their final approaches to The Twin Towers was a big favourite of mine.  And Abide with me never failed to bring a tingle to my more sensitive regions!

The two main channels (of 3, or was it 4 by then?) ran The FA cup Final programmes from something like 11am until 6pm.  Yep... BOTH main channels!  And if that's an unintentional exaggeration, then not by much, so let's say a 6 programme for arguments sake... and no ad breaks on one of those channels, remember!  Imagine that today!
I can't remember who DCFC played last game before Covid19... but off the top of my head, I could reel off the two teams and the score from FA Cup Finals 1976 to 1981 without hesitation, and with some concentration could quite possibly extend that to other years.  And remember, with the exception of one "almost got there", none of the above has any bearing on my team's history whatsoever!

Stokes scoring for Southampton.  Sunderland scoring for Arsenal!  Hutchison scoring both goals in a 1-1 draw!.  The dashed hopes of a Man Utd comeback (Ha ha!).  

It was massive!  It mattered!  It gave every teenage boy something to dream about.

DREAM ON...

6 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I fear there may be a hefty percentage of (younger) posters/readers on here who may consider the above to be nothing more than starry-eyed tosh!  I'm here to help spread the word!  It really was the biggest day in the football calendar.  The cameras on board the team coaches as they took their final approaches to The Twin Towers was a big favourite of mine.  And Abide with me never failed to bring a tingle to my more sensitive regions!

The two main channels (of 3, or was it 4 by then?) ran The FA cup Final programmes from something like 11am until 6pm.  Yep... BOTH main channels!  And if that's an unintentional exaggeration, then not by much, so let's say a 6 programme for arguments sake... and no ad breaks on one of those channels, remember!  Imagine that today!
I can't remember who DCFC played last game before Covid19... but off the top of my head, I could reel off the two teams and the score from FA Cup Finals 1976 to 1981 without hesitation, and with some concentration could quite possibly extend that to other years.  And remember, with the exception of one "almost got there", none of the above has any bearing on my team's history whatsoever!

Stokes scoring for Southampton.  Sunderland scoring for Arsenal!  Hutchison scoring both goals in a 1-1 draw!.  The dashed hopes of a Man Utd comeback (Ha ha!).  

It was massive!  It mattered!  It gave every teenage boy something to dream about.

DREAM ON...

Crikey that brings back memories.  The TV would go on when the build up started and you’d barely move.  Cup Final Question of Sport, It’s a Knockout and so on.  And when it was done you’d be out in the street (yes, you played football in the street in those days) or down the “rec” to replay the game!!

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

DREAM ON...

Add to that Dave Webb scoring for Chelsea  against the dirties in a replay at Old Trafford (Every Ram was a Chelsea fan for the night. Porterfield scoring for Sunderland against the dirties. Charlie Boots scoring for Arsenal against the scousers to win a double. Little Ipswich Town in 1978.

Ricky Villa scoring a wonder goal for Spurs, Gordon Smith missing a sitter against Man Utd in 1983 Elton John crying because Watford had got to Wembley. little Wimbledon beating the second best football team i have ever seen in the flesh.

That's what we could have back if they FA did the right thing and organised it properly.

Edited by SIXTEEN AGAIN

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

Add to that Dave Webb scoring for Chelsea  against the dirties in a replay at Old Trafford (Every Ram was a Chelsea fan for the night. Porterfield scoring for Sunderland against the dirties. Charlie Boots scoring for Arsenal against the scousers to win a double. Little Ipswich Town in 1978.

Ricky Villa scoring a wonder goal for Spurs, Gordon Smith missing a sitter against Man Utd in 1983 Elton John crying because Watford had got to Wembley. little Wimbledon beating the second best football team i have ever seen in the flesh.

That's what we could have back if they FA did the right thing and organised it properly.

That second paragraph is all still there, in my memory... and long may that be the case.

Your first paragraph, whilst now known about, was a tad too early for me to have it in my actual memory banks.  I didn't get interested in footy until my first game, which just so happened to coincide with The Rams lifting the 1975 1st div trophy on the same day!  You could say that I am the ultimate in being a Glory Hunter.  You couldn't say, however, that it has all gone to plan during the ensuing 45 years!  🤣 

Edited by Mucker1884

22 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

That second paragraph is all still there, in my memory... and long may that be the case.

Your first paragraph, whilst now known about, was a tad too early for me to have it in my actual memory banks.  I didn't get interested in footy until my first game, which just so happened to coincide with The Rams lifting the 1975 1st div trophy on the same day!  You could say that I am the ultimate in being a Glory Hunter.  You couldn't say, however, that it has all gone to plan during the ensuing 45 years!  🤣 

My first Rams game was1967 Millwall at home The first FA cup final i can remember on tv was 1968 WBA v Everton. , almost forced to watch because we lived over the border at the time and my Dad knew Jeff Astle. So a good day as he scored the winner. There you go another FA cup  final good memory.

2 hours ago, Coolascustard said:

Crikey that brings back memories.  The TV would go on when the build up started and you’d barely move.  Cup Final Question of Sport, It’s a Knockout and so on.  And when it was done you’d be out in the street (yes, you played football in the street in those days) or down the “rec” to replay the game!!

Jumpers for goalposts lol.

I miss everything about it really. The walk to the ground, the pre match pint, putting a bet on and for 90 minutes removing almost all my social filters and being sucked into the game.