2 years today since ......

Seaside Ram

Anya last played in the First team . I really can't help having anything but disgust towards him . People will say 'i don't blame him etc ' but I do . 

How must Mel feel , particularly at the moment handing him a rumoured £3,000 A DAY , 7 days a week for doing Squat . ?. Even Ed Dawes had a pop at him . I hope one day us Rams get the chance to let him know about it  ????

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I’ll be that guy - I don’t blame him. He’s never once, to my knowledge, made himself unavailable to play. He’s just not been picked by the managers who’ve been in charge. What more can he do? All he can do is work hard in training and try to impress - it’s not his fault if he’s not good enough/ not suited to the team. The people to blame for that are the incompetent recruitment team we had around that time. I’ve got absolutely no problem with Anya personally - it’s not like he’s a known troublemaker, he’s been very professional playing with the U23s. 

I’d be extremely annoyed if I was Mel, with all that money being wasted - but I wouldn’t be annoyed at Anya, I’d be annoyed at whoever bought him. It was an appalling piece of recruitment, simple as that - and far from the only one around that time. I mean a 4 year contract ffs!

10 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Ok, I’ll be that guy - I don’t blame him. He’s never once, to my knowledge, made himself unavailable to play. He’s just not been picked by the managers who’ve been in charge. What more can he do? All he can do is work hard in training and try to impress - it’s not his fault if he’s not good enough/ not suited to the team. The people to blame for that are the incompetent recruitment team we had around that time. I’ve got absolutely no problem with Anya personally - it’s not like he’s a known troublemaker, he’s been very professional playing with the U23s. 

I’d be extremely annoyed if I was Mel, with all that money being wasted - but I wouldn’t be annoyed at Anya, I’d be annoyed at whoever bought him. It was an appalling piece of recruitment, simple as that - and far from the only one around that time. I mean a 4 year contract ffs!

Could he have gone out on loan like Blackman and at least pretended to be a footballer?

1 minute ago, Ram-a-lama fa fa fa said:

Could he have gone out on loan like Blackman and at least pretended to be a footballer?

I bet the club refused to loan him unless substantial wages were being paid.

As long as the bloke put the effort in on the training ground, can’t ask for much more from him IMO.

2 hours ago, Ram-a-lama fa fa fa said:

Do we know for certain he actually had any offers to do so? I agree that it doesn’t reflect well on his character if he did turn moves down - footballers should want to play football. But he’s still well within his rights to reject any move he doesn’t think is right, and I don’t begrudge him for it. It’s our fault for not using him.

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Yes I tend to agree. The fact that he isn't being selected is not necessarily anything to do with the guys attitude or work ethic. Some say he should have gone out on loan, but perhaps there haven't been any suitable opportunities. Maybe those 'in the know' have information to the contrary? 

As a devoted Christian, he has to follow their virtues and to do what is right and fair.

Money, justice, money, prudence, money, money, money. (Okay, I remembered only two and filled the gaps how it looks to the outside.)

6 minutes ago, europia said:

Yes I tend to agree. The fact that he isn't being selected is not necessarily anything to do with the guys attitude or work ethic. Some say he should have gone out on loan, but perhaps there haven't been any suitable opportunities. Maybe those 'in the know' have information to the contrary? 

He’s just not suited at all to the style/ formation we play imo. I actually don’t think he’s bad at the workhorse role that he can do, but he’s just entirely the wrong man for us.

If he has worked hard in training then surely a full international would have made a matchday 18 sometime in 2years under two different managers ? More like he is doing the bare minimum to just keep grabbing money , money and more money ! Surely he will disappear from football in July , who on earth would employ him now ? 

3 hours ago, Charlie George said:

One thing I always found strange was that he regularly stayed at The Premier Inn on The Wyvern Retail Park.

I assume from this that he never lived in the area. Can anyone confirm this ?

Not strange. Lots of players around the country don’t move and stay in hotels. Wayne Rooney is hardly looking for a 5 bed in Mickleover now is he?

1 minute ago, ThePrisoner said:

Not strange. Lots of players around the country don’t move and stay in hotels. Wayne Rooney is hardly looking for a 5 bed in Mickleover now is he?

I am sure he has been advised to keep away from Care Homes for a while too.

You could argue Anya is the smartest man at the club.

He has set himself and his family up for years to come, and all he has had to do is play youth team football and the occasional friendly for the past two years.

This sorry state of affairs is all down to the club and the mismanagement that has been present for a number of years now.

You can’t routinely change managers, splash the cash, hand out contracts like it’s the Oprah Winfrey Show, sign players without an obvious strategy or long term view, and not expect to get your fingers burnt along the way.

It’s not Anya’s fault that he signed for us under Pearson with the expectation of being an important first team player and we went on to have another four managers in four years. All of whom have overlooked him and usually in favour of bringing in their own players.

This is a situation that sums up everything wrong with the club for the past 5 years. We have continually made poor decisions and not made the most of our resources available.

We spent £5 million on Tom Lawrence in summer 2017 and we spent £2.5 million on Jozefzoon in summer 2018. At both points, we already had Anya on the books.

A smart club would have taken a step back and asked themselves if we could save money here and given someone like Anya a chance to shine.

A club like Brentford wouldn’t have accepted this situation. They would have encouraged the manager to get more out of the existing resources, the manager would have given Anya a chance, and 15 games later, he’d be on his way to Aston Villa for £15 million.

But never at Derby, eh!

12 hours ago, Ram-a-lama fa fa fa said:

I can imagine a lot of clubs would've fancied him, but wouldn't touch him because of his wages.  The club wouldn't treat it like loaning a youngster and cover his wages, we'd want a fair chunk of that £30k.

You only one to blame for the whole situation is Pearson.  Pure end of the window panic buy...

4 hours ago, Jourdan said:

You could argue Anya is the smartest man at the club.

He has set himself and his family up for years to come, and all he has had to do is play youth team football and the occasional friendly for the past two years.

This sorry state of affairs is all down to the club and the mismanagement that has been present for a number of years now.

You can’t routinely change managers, splash the cash, hand out contracts like it’s the Oprah Winfrey Show, sign players without an obvious strategy or long term view, and not expect to get your fingers burnt along the way.

It’s not Anya’s fault that he signed for us under Pearson with the expectation of being an important first team player and we went on to have another four managers in four years. All of whom have overlooked him and usually in favour of bringing in their own players.

This is a situation that sums up everything wrong with the club for the past 5 years. We have continually made poor decisions and not made the most of our resources available.

We spent £5 million on Tom Lawrence in summer 2017 and we spent £2.5 million on Jozefzoon in summer 2018. At both points, we already had Anya on the books.

A smart club would have taken a step back and asked themselves if we could save money here and given someone like Anya a chance to shine.

A club like Brentford wouldn’t have accepted this situation. They would have encouraged the manager to get more out of the existing resources, the manager would have given Anya a chance, and 15 games later, he’d be on his way to Aston Villa for £15 million.

But never at Derby, eh!

And if Mel had not backed the Managers plenty of fans would have been giving grief for not doing so. Mel can't win either way.

Anya may not have been picked by the following Mangers precisely because of his attitude plus he has been unavailable for much of this period due to multiple injuries.

The judgements of the recruitment team and Manager who bought the guy can be questioned though.

He signed a contract, Most likely advised by an agent, 4 years at an alleged £3k a week, "didn't want to be loaned out", "Lives at times in a Premier inn" "hasn't played for the 1st team for 2 years" so what, The detail is in the contract, Blame the loons who watched/didn't watch him, Blame the idiot that sat down and negotiated with him and maybe a representative...No I'll not blame him...point the finger else where.

Archived