That penalty!

Danelaw Rams

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thing is the BBG was often in a far worse state - with the mud and then the sand. I remember one match, I think against those from down the road, where it was essentially a beach.

But yeah, that was from the days I got there often, Gerry Daly was one of the few bright sparks from that dark era.

Where did it all go wrong? Well Tommy Doc for one thing but we'd better not start on that again.

I remember that penalty well, 3 that will stick in my mind, 1. Against Rotherham for us to win the game and promotion, Why was it given, 2. Chris Martins that wasn't given, At Burnley being sent of for a dive...when he was tripped...the Ref sometime after admitting his mistake...Bobby Madley?, 3. Franny Lee against Leeds, Tripping himself in the box to win a penalty...sometime after there was fun and games ?

I remember Franny tripping over outside the area against his old club and crawling into the area on his hands and knees. The whole crowd (including City fans) loved it. Francis looked hurt at not being awarded a penalty!

Nearly as entertaining as his middleweight bout against Norman!image.png.9d112b570eab4fbfce29c3a61498be73.png

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

Thing is the BBG was often in a far worse state - with the mud and then the sand. I remember one match, I think against those from down the road, where it was essentially a beach.

But yeah, that was from the days I got there often, Gerry Daly was one of the few bright sparks from that dark era.

Where did it all go wrong? Well Tommy Doc for one thing but we'd better not start on that again.

I met Tommy at an after dinner speech he was doing. When questions went to the floor I asked him why he cocked us up so badly. Can't remember what his cocky answer was but it was not his fault, the club was in a mess apparently.. What's new. 

57 minutes ago, TramRam said:

I remember that penalty well, 3 that will stick in my mind, 1. Against Rotherham for us to win the game and promotion, Why was it given, 2. Chris Martins that wasn't given, At Burnley being sent of for a dive...when he was tripped...the Ref sometime after admitting his mistake...Bobby Madley?, 3. Franny Lee against Leeds, Tripping himself in the box to win a penalty...sometime after there was fun and games ?

49 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

I met Tommy at an after dinner speech he was doing. When questions went to the floor I asked him why he cocked us up so badly. Can't remember what his cocky answer was but it was not his fault, the club was in a mess apparently.. What's new. 

I've just read Roy Mac's book - very illuminating. A couple of quid (for kindle version) well spent, especially during lockdown.

The club was on the slide but he certainly gave it an effing big shove.

Colin Boulton's save in the penalty shoot-out to send us through against Athletico Madrid (away), and his subsequent celebration!

Inigo Idiakez shoot-out miss at PP for Southampton - that was some occasion in spite of the absolute deluge!

And as above, the "missing" penalty spot v. Man. City at the BBG.

On 14/05/2020 at 12:00, Dordogne-Ram said:

Colin Boulton's save in the penalty shoot-out to send us through against Athletico Madrid (away), and his subsequent celebration!

Inigo Idiakez shoot-out miss at PP for Southampton - that was some occasion in spite of the absolute deluge!

And as above, the "missing" penalty spot v. Man. City at the BBG.

Look at Idiakez's face and body language just before ad just after his penalty kick. Either he was very uncomfortable taking a peno against his former club, or even meant to miss it. 

Not technically a penalty memory but I remember David Nish's home debut at the BBG.

An oppo was past Boulton with a point blank certain goal. 

From another planet Nishy appeared on a collision course with him and I thought he was going to take one for the team.

He somehow came away with the ball perfectly fairly.

Still don't know how he did it.

Dave Watson's obvious six yard foul against Telford when no penno was awarded.

Years later Dave Watson was asked about this at a Telford United dinner and said 'Well, let's put it like this.. when it happened my blood ran very cold!'

Like Cloughie always said 'It evens out over the season.'

Archived