Annual NHS Day

Boycie

51 minutes ago, Boycie said:

After I had a mini rant on the VE Day thread it got me thinking.

What about a day we remember the lost life’s in the NHS.  The personal who lost their lives trying to save others.

Yes, like soldiers protecting our freedom.

We could have it like we celebrate St George’s or St Patrick’s.

How about Saint Agatha day? Patron saint of Nurses?

What about having it every 5 years when we have an election?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great idea that the nation celebrates all the hard work and dedication put in by NHS staff. 

Lets set aside one day every year where we all re-enact the lock down, sit in front of the tv watching a bunch of celebrities spouting naff platitudes. Eventually get bored and nip out to the nearest garden centre before stopping off at the pub for something to eat and a couple of pints.

Or the the nation could really show their appreciation for what the workers in NHS have done during this crisis. By insisting the government adequately fund the NHS and the staff are paid a wage that they deserve.

As a conclusion to my moan yesterday, I just popped to Morrisons and as I perused the relatively quiet aisles, over the PA was playing the Village People's 'YMCA' . 

Just as it hit the crescendo of the chorus and accompanying arm movements, one of the OAPs on the till yelled across 'C'mon Bill!!' ..to which a 60-something shelf stacker laughed and mouthed back f. off'. 

Maybe its an age thing or just my miserable viewpoint, but it really cheered my heart. Quiet, slightly cynical but understated and self deprecating. No NHS Tick Tock dance videos, no aged pop stars singing in their lounge, no people videoing themselves clapping in the streets, no parents filming their children singing for charity, no 'beauty consultants' saying they are sending face creams (they aren't promoting) to NHS staff. I know councils are asking for staff to highlight 'good news stories' and that most people think ahhh... But the reality is people trying to get themselves a bit of publicity. I really find the 'look at me, aren't I great doing stuff for charity /NHS' social media stuff really distasteful and nauseating, so much so I can't stand even the genuine ones now. 

I am bitter, I get that...so I just can't wait til there is real stuff to talk about, please let it be some football for starters!!! 

24 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

As a conclusion to my moan yesterday, I just popped to Morrisons and as I perused the relatively quiet aisles, over the PA was playing the Village People's 'YMCA' . 

Just as it hit the crescendo of the chorus and accompanying arm movements, one of the OAPs on the till yelled across 'C'mon Bill!!' ..to which a 60-something shelf stacker laughed and mouthed back f. off'. 

Maybe its an age thing or just my miserable viewpoint, but it really cheered my heart. Quiet, slightly cynical but understated and self deprecating. No NHS Tick Tock dance videos, no aged pop stars singing in their lounge, no people videoing themselves clapping in the streets, no parents filming their children singing for charity, no 'beauty consultants' saying they are sending face creams (they aren't promoting) to NHS staff. I know councils are asking for staff to highlight 'good news stories' and that most people think ahhh... But the reality is people trying to get themselves a bit of publicity. I really find the 'look at me, aren't I great doing stuff for charity /NHS' social media stuff really distasteful and nauseating, so much so I can't stand even the genuine ones now. 

I am bitter, I get that...so I just can't wait til there is real stuff to talk about, please let it be some football for starters!!! 

most of the so called celebs do things just to keep themselves “current”.  They’re terrified of being forgotten.

Archived