Annual NHS Day

Boycie

After I had a mini rant on the VE Day thread it got me thinking.

What about a day we remember the lost life’s in the NHS.  The personal who lost their lives trying to save others.

Yes, like soldiers protecting our freedom.

We could have it like we celebrate St George’s or St Patrick’s.

How about Saint Agatha day? Patron saint of Nurses?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to add St Luke the Evangelist, the patron saint of Doctors but he also covers artists, physicians, bachelors, surgeons, students and butchers.

Students don’t need an excuse for a piss up.

Sith Happens

great idea,  till the morons go to the pub to celebrate and cant have a few beers without some fisticuffs,  then end up in a and e abusing those they were celebrating.

I hope we do something to recognise them in fairness,  just hope we can do it civilised.

Just now, maxjam said:

Saint Jenny Day?  Patron saint of Boris?

In all seriousness I'd be okay with a key worker day not just the NHS.

Depends on how you define key workers though. Key workers throughout the country definitely deserve a massive thank you from all of us that rely on them and I wouldn't want to under state their contribution in the slightest but, there are others that, even allowing for the best PPE, could well be putting themselves at much greater personal risk. I would certainly include care home workers in the recognition. 

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Depends on how you define key workers though. Key workers throughout the country definitely deserve a massive thank you from all of us that rely on them and I wouldn't want to under state their contribution in the slightest but, there are others that, even allowing for the best PPE, could well be putting themselves at much greater personal risk. I would certainly include care home workers in the recognition. 

Let’s have it for the NHS and Key Workers, St Boycie is the patron saint of key workers by the way.

If you consider yourself a key worker then that’s great. Nobody needs to judge who’s what.

1 minute ago, Boycie said:

Let’s have it for the NHS and Key Workers, St Boycie is the patron saint of key workers by the way.

If you consider yourself a key worker then that’s great. Nobody needs to judge who’s what.

Key Worker Day you say? Good idea, lock the thread. ?

Key workers this... Key workers that...  Every time I put the radio on, there's someone claiming to be a bloody Key worker!
We do this, we make those, we deliver these... we feed the people that make those, or deliver these... We clean up after them... We look after the children of key workers whilst the key workers are key working... etc... etc... blah, blah... bloody blah!

Well, let me tell you something... despite 98.7% of the population claiming to be Key workers, I bet the vast majority of those would down tools if they didn't have a fully functioning roof over their heads whilst doing their key jobs.  Even a leaking roof or a blocked gutter would lead to a teeny-weeny ickle puddle on the floor, making their workplace all slippery and slidery and in breach of The HASAWA 1974... aw diddums.

So come on people, spare a thought for Industrial & Commercial roofing contractors.  The keyest of key workers, I reckon!    

WHAT?  ?‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Key workers this... Key workers that...  Every time I put the radio on, there's someone claiming to be a bloody Key worker!
We do this, we make those, we deliver these... we feed the people that make those, or deliver these... We clean up after them... We look after the children of key workers whilst the key workers are key working... etc... etc... balah, blah... bloody blah!

Well, let me tell you something... despite 98.7% of the population claiming to be Key workers, I bet the vast majority of those would down tools if they didn't have a roof over their heads whilst doing their key jobs.  Even a leaking roof or a blocked gutter would lead to a teeny-weeny ickle puddle on the floor, making their workplace all slippery and slidery and in breach of The HASAWA 1974... aw diddums.

So come on people, spare a thought for Industrial & Commercial roofing contractors.  The keyest of key workers, I reckon!    

WHAT?  ?‍♂️

You’ll get slated for that.

Am not going to win any friends here but in a bad mood.. So I think its a terrible idea. 

I walk into my local Morrisons and it is full of old women on the tills with very little protection, quietly going about their working day with dozens of people very close to them. There are also OAPs shelf stacking with people leaning over/around them and pretty much touching them all day. They work for low wage and didn't take on that job ever thinking it was a job that would be risky or stressful. 

Delivery drivers, postmen, care assistants, social workers, bank staff, mechanics, AA men, teachers, police, food packers ...all have just got on with it. 

Every time I go into Morrisons I make sure I say 'thank you its much appreciated', but they just nod and clearly think it's just all in a day's work and I can't imagine they would expect a day every year to say thanks either. 

A key worker day has been suggested..... but I am a 'key worker' and I would think it totally ludicrous to be put on a par with war heroes. I have visited families, just doing my normal job, taking the chance I could catch a virus that is likely to have hardly any affect on me. I have had to isolate from most immediate family, but its not comparable to risking my life every day as a soldier. I realise I am in a very small minority but I think we are going totally overboard. It's been an awful period and lives have been lost and futures put into jeopardy but can we stop banging on about NHS, key workers, furlough, shielding, non essential etc etc...its all just people all doing their best to get by. 

1 minute ago, uttoxram75 said:

You’ll get slated for that.

No slates.  Slates are domestic.  Slates are for wimps.

I'm talking factories... warehouses... workshops... Football grounds even... I'm talking steel girders, composite roof panels, Corrugated iron, 60m Cherry Pickers.  80T cranes... I'm talking the Irn Bru of roofing... I'm talking poo...

11 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

We do this, we make those, we deliver these... we feed the people that make those, or deliver these... We clean up after them... We look after the children of key workers whilst the key workers are key working... etc... etc... blah, blah... bloody blah!

Well, let me tell you something... despite 98.7% of the population claiming to be Key workers, I bet the vast majority of those would down tools if they didn't have a fully functioning roof over their heads whilst doing their key jobs.  Even a leaking roof or a blocked gutter would lead to a teeny-weeny ickle puddle on the floor, making their workplace all slippery and slidery and in breach of The HASAWA 1974... aw diddums.

WHAT?  ?‍♂️

Hey, I’ve been called out to customers since lock down.

Ive ordered a cape from China and wear my under crackers on the outside of my Snickers.

Still waiting for the cape mind, it’s coming via Turkey.

16 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

WHAT?  ?‍♂️

My tots and pears go out to brewers everywhere - and spare a thought for their fellow workers, the yeasts. Those hard-working little babies eat sugar, thus saving your teeth from rotting, and then pee alcohol.  OK, they fart carbon dioxide which causes climate change, but nobody's perfect.

Actually, I think I might have just proved the existence of God. Well, that's me converted. Hallelujah.

4 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Hey, I’ve been called out to customers since lock down.

Ive ordered a cape from China and wear my under crackers on the outside of my Snickers.

Still waiting for the cape mind, it’s coming via Turkey.

Not all Aeros wear capes!    

Archived