Nostalgia

Angry Ram

The 9th May is my birthday, and I was having a party to celebrate. I phoned my brother back in Derby, and we listened to the last 15 minutes of this game, via Radio Derby, and the telephone, to my apartment in Saudi Arabia.

It cost a fortune for the telephone call back in 1986 - no TV on the compound where we lived, nor, of course, no internet.

The party we had afterwards was brilliant - happy, happy days!!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Always weird when you come across the original melody for a football song. Has there ever been a football chant not based on an actual song?

This is my theory on why there are few good new chants anymore. There are few new songs that everyone knows anymore. Oasis was probably the end of this. Loads of good music around today, but not any good popular mainstream music really that everyone knows.

25 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

This is my theory on why there are few good new chants anymore. There are few new songs that everyone knows anymore. Oasis was probably the end of this. Loads of good music around today, but not any good popular mainstream music really that everyone knows.

The older Rams fans might remember that our song was “By The Light of The Silvery Moon “ and was sung by both the Ossie and Popside. Can’t remember when it lapsed up I can certainly say it was still sung in the 70’s. 
Can also remember the Heanor Rams singing Heanor and the response from the Popside was “Sharples”. 
You would have to be of a certain age and watched a long tuning TV soap to get that one 

39 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Don't get @angieram started on Mr Brightside!

To be fair, I'd argue that there have been some decent ones in recent years. Liverpool's 'Allez Allez Allez' is brilliant, as is 'Si, Senor'. Although I think both of those original melodies were from foreign music, so you may be right.

14 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

The older Rams fans might remember that our song was “By The Light of The Silvery Moon “ and was sung by both the Ossie and Popside. Can’t remember when it lapsed up I can certainly say it was still sung in the 70’s. 
Can also remember the Heanor Rams singing Heanor and the response from the Popside was “Sharples”. 
You would have to be of a certain age and watched a long tuning TV soap to get that one 

Yeah there were three brothers ( Didn't look like brothers, but hey we're talking Heanor here ) came in just before kick off ever week and shouted at top of voices  EANOR  as you said everyone replied with Sharples.   Then a dick from Nottingham would start up with Knees up Mother Brown. Silvery Moon was still going early 80's

24 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Those three Heanor lads used to always start Home On The Range? Anyone else remember that? Used to always think what a strange song for the footy, but everyone joined in after a while

1 hour ago, popside ossie end popside said:

Yeah there were three brothers ( Didn't look like brothers, but hey we're talking Heanor here ) came in just before kick off ever week and shouted at top of voices  EANOR  as you said everyone replied with Sharples.   Then a dick from Nottingham would start up with Knees up Mother Brown. Silvery Moon was still going early 80's

Silvery Moon was definitely still going in the 80s. I loved it when the whole of the Popside were singing it. I get to very few games nowadays, but really miss those songs when I do go. Silvery Moon, White Christmas, She Wore a Blue and White Ribbon, We are Derby, You are My Derby, Na Na Na Na (to Hey Jude).......

?

Mary Hopkin came on the radio the other day...  "Once upon a time there was a tavern..." she warbled...

Well, for the next 3 minutes or so, I had a bit of mental moment, singing along... with our own lyrics, of course!  Muckerette wondered wtf was going on, but by god, what a fantastic 3 minutes it was! 
... And I think the virus was cowering somewhere, too scared to come out!

?

3 hours ago, King Kevin said:

That match is indelibly marked in my mind and my mate with  whom I have gone to the match with for years .We both have lots of common red dog mates ,I went drinking with them pre match and as was the way those days as a Derby fan I had to drink them under the table to get one over them .[childish I know]

One of them called Duncan was a mate of both of us ,well I was so pissed  that my mate who turned up on the Popside seconds before kick off having no trouble finding me having missed the pre match piss up.

After the game we went round to the corner of the Main Stand and the Normanton end to meet up with them ,my mate went up to "Duncan" going what about that then you so and so.

Now Duncan has a twin brother who has never met my mate before and not knowing who he was takes exception to the goading and grabs him by the throat . I rescue my mate and in return put Duncan's brother up against the wall before the rest of the lads calmed us all down .

Football was certainly more tribal even among friends in those days and yes we are still all mates .

Ah!  The famous Nottingham Twins!

Same mum, different dads.  

?

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Always weird when you come across the original melody for a football song. Has there ever been a football chant not based on an actual song?

Who are yer, Who are yer...

Come on Derby, Come on Derby...

You what, You what, You what you what you what...

?

2 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

That stems from the Heanor Town crew c. late seventies went to see the lions play Arnold Town and when the Arnold boys started chanting the response of course was "Palmer" of course when the crew chanted Heanor it was obvious what the reply would be.

We are mad round the bend, no one takes the ossie end na na na na na nar.

Oh by the light , by the light, by the light on the silvery moon, na na na na na, na na na na nar na na.

Im dreaming of a white christmas, just like the ones we used to know, used to know.

We are the rams, oh yes we are the rams, na na na na na na nan na na na na na we are the rams oh yes we are the rams.

Were the popside ,were popside, were the popside baseball ground.

When your tied and weary your heart will miss a beat.

Im only a poor little forist fan, no colourful scarves have I. I came down to see the mighty Derby and I went home with two big black eyes.

Home, home on the range where the deer and the buffalo play.

A few of the songs I fondly remember, bring them back.

I always enjoyed singing "Here We Go" in the 80's in football grounds, until Everton FC destroyed it.

I also thought we could sing "Derby Co, Derby Co, Derby Co, to the tune of Here We Go but some of the old heads on here, would refuse to sing Co, I'm not sure why.

We could fresh n things up a bit and go back in to the late 90's with something like these.

1. Here we go on a ride with the new Ramstylers, Ramstylers.....Here We Go, Here We Go
    Here we go on a ride with the new Ramstylers, Ramstylers.....Here We Go, Here We Go.

2. Leave your name on the dotted line, and don't forget the famous Ram sign

Here we go on a ride with the new Freestylers, Freestylers.....Here We Go, Here We Go
   Here we go on a ride with the new Freestylers, Freestylers.....Here We Go, Here We Go.

With our Knight to bite, our Sibley to fight and cause you've heard of our Max Bird..........."

Or for us oldies on here.......in with the old out with the new..........

My favourite "song" - which went on for hours was...

"Aaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

......rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"

Archived