Nostalgia

Angry Ram

10 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Never seen that before. Incredible scenes.

Couple of points though....Bobby was not through at all for the free kick that lead to the penalty. If he had blasted it in from there, it would have been a wonder goal.

And that penalty was surely the worst decision ever! Where did the ref dream that one up from?

How critical was that game in terms of promotion/winning the league?

We had to win to clinch promotion....its hard to describe the passion from the fans, we'd gone from the best team in England in 1975 to division 3 in 1984 and was on our way back.....it was a brilliant time to be a Rams fan even though many of us had lived through the greatest years.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, TexasRam said:

The last 10 seconds of this video ?........ we need this blasting out more at Pride park when we get back 

This has created a raite talking point amongst some of us old uns tonight. The way we used to sing "We are Derby".

We need to slow it down and do it properly. Those last 10 seconds really make the hairs stand up.....incredible...

I am going to make it my life work to get the South Stand to do that...

3 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

This has created a raite talking point amongst some of us old uns tonight. The way we used to sing "We are Derby".

We need to slow it down and do it properly. Those last 10 seconds really make the hairs stand up.....incredible...

I am going to make it my life work to get the South Stand to do that...

I don't like Rod much and this video is terrible, but imagine Pride Park singing 'We are Derby' at the same tempo as this...

Just read it was number one for 4 weeks in September 1975. When was it first sung in that season?

My favourite song/chant is still White Christmas. Probably because it's slow.

Maybe we can get We Are Sailing played in pre-match buildup to help?

@OwenB87 zoom style Derby players singing it?

1 minute ago, ariotofmyown said:

Just read it was number one for 4 weeks in September 1975. When was it first sung in that season?

My favourite song/chant is still White Christmas. Probably because it's slow.

Maybe we can get We Are Sailing played in pre-match buildup to help?

@OwenB87 zoom style Derby players singing it?

It was first sung around 1976 on the Popside...when its sung to the original tempo it’s brilliant.

On 08/05/2020 at 13:58, Angry Ram said:

Ah the good old Ram. Found loads of these in my loft. 

3A951051-632C-40A5-9376-D5534A136883.jpeg

This was the first time I witnessed football violence. My dad knocked some Forest fan’s glasses off.
To be honest I was 11 and a bit embarrassed. I can see the passion now and the twit was asking for it.

2 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

We had to win to clinch promotion....its hard to describe the passion from the fans, we'd gone from the best team in England in 1975 to division 3 in 1984 and was on our way back.....it was a brilliant time to be a Rams fan even though many of us had lived through the greatest years.

Today of course we would have been in the playoffs and might not have had that great rise to 5th in division one within three years.   If the playoffs had been around in Cloughs day Forest could well have not gone up and won nowt. 

Totally agree on @uttoxram75's comments re tempo.  Same could be said for virtually most songs we sing/chant.  Almost none of them sound good sped up... and we speed most of them up nowadays!  ?

As for "We are Derby"... I have a vague recollection of standing on The Ossie End, singing this vociferously... in the right tempo, of course... and continuously for "a very long time"... my heart says "For almost for a full half"... My head says "Got to have been at least 20mins, and maybe even longer?".
I assume it wasn't just the Ossie End singing it.
I have sunshine in my visions... but that's not unusual for me!
I also have Spurs in my head, but that may be wrong? Maybe the 8-2?... Google search has that down as Oct '76, so it sounds about the right time?

Anyone else have such a wonderful recollection of this, or have I been dreaming it all these years?

8 hours ago, Van Gritters said:

This was the first time I witnessed football violence. My dad knocked some Forest fan’s glasses off.
To be honest I was 11 and a bit embarrassed. I can see the passion now and the twit was asking for it.

I think everyone has felt like slapping one at some point. 

bo7fDl.gif.5dd6b13b9b1dde4f98c02d990ff9266f.gif

8 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

I think everyone has felt like slapping one at some point. 

bo7fDl.gif.5dd6b13b9b1dde4f98c02d990ff9266f.gif

Pretty sure not long after this happened, BC went on TV with one of the ones he hit(non in the video), They kissed and made up on screen, Years later the lad that was hit died in Spain from a drug overdose, Also got a good hiding when trying to take on all the drinkers in the Buck in the Park, He was a little notorious at the time, Not hard, Just that his head wasn't a good fit...I do know his name, But not for here.

47 minutes ago, TramRam said:

Pretty sure not long after this happened, BC went on TV with one of the ones he hit(non in the video), They kissed and made up on screen, Years later the lad that was hit died in Spain from a drug overdose, Also got a good hiding when trying to take on all the drinkers in the Buck in the Park, He was a little notorious at the time, Not hard, Just that his head wasn't a good fit...I do know his name, But not for here.

3mins and 23seconds in, Youth dressed as a clown is the lad.

That match is indelibly marked in my mind and my mate with  whom I have gone to the match with for years .We both have lots of common red dog mates ,I went drinking with them pre match and as was the way those days as a Derby fan I had to drink them under the table to get one over them .[childish I know]

One of them called Duncan was a mate of both of us ,well I was so pissed  that my mate who turned up on the Popside seconds before kick off having no trouble finding me having missed the pre match piss up.

After the game we went round to the corner of the Main Stand and the Normanton end to meet up with them ,my mate went up to "Duncan" going what about that then you so and so.

Now Duncan has a twin brother who has never met my mate before and not knowing who he was takes exception to the goading and grabs him by the throat . I rescue my mate and in return put Duncan's brother up against the wall before the rest of the lads calmed us all down .

Football was certainly more tribal even among friends in those days and yes we are still all mates .

14 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I don't like Rod much and this video is terrible, but imagine Pride Park singing 'We are Derby' at the same tempo as this...

Always weird when you come across the original melody for a football song. Has there ever been a football chant not based on an actual song?

Archived