My favourite game: Derbys V Northants.

Ellafella

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great game. If my memory serves me right I had been at Shrewsbury away watching Derby fans hurl seats on to the pitch and then raced back to see the end on BBC2. Am I right? Was that even possible? 

What I do know is that I have a picture in my dining room of me holding the NatWest trophy. Think the club charged £5 for a photo, or something like that, at the tour game at Chesterfield playing Pakistan.

Happy day! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/05/2020 at 20:14, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Great game. If my memory serves me right I had been at Shrewsbury away watching Derby fans hurl seats on to the pitch and then raced back to see the end on BBC2. Am I right? Was that even possible? 

More than possible... 

I'm not into cricket in the slightest, but on seeing the OP, I too immediately recollected Shrewsbury away (That in itself is amazing for me, having such a lousy memory!).  I don't recall the seat hurling, nor the score, but I do recall getting back to Derby, being cajoled into going straight to the pub, which just so happened to have the cricket on.  I can only assume it was a City centre pub, but again, I have no recollection which one.
I literally watched the last over, and was the only person in the pub who wasn't overly fussed, but I do recall phrases such as "The biggest day in Derbyshire CC's history" being bandied about, and everyone else being somewhat excitable... even from a footy fan's perspective, let alone cricket!  ?

I had to be informed it was the cricket version of the FA cup final (Or was it The League cup?), and before or since, it is the only over of cricket I have ever sat and watched on live TV.

If truth be told... I quite enjoyed it!  

PS:
Just checked... we lost 4-1... Wish I'd have hurled the odd seat myself, now!   ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived