The BBC

G STAR RAM

So its 9 o'clock on a Saturday evening, prime time tv and the best the BBC can offer up is a repeat of Gavin and Stacey?

And I'm being charged £150 a year for this diabolical service.

Surely its time for this tax to be scrapped.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

So its 9 o'clock on a Saturday evening, prime time tv and the best the BBC can offer up is a repeat of Gavin and Stacey?

Ohhh Ohhh

A significant proportion of people in this country think that James Cordon is funny. That fact alone proves that there is no God.

Just unplug your tv and stop paying. I haven't given them a penny for years.

15 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Worth every penny tbh. Listen to bbc podcasts, TV shows news all the time. Well worth my fee. More for your money than netflix. 

I listen to plenty of podcasts and news shows...I dont have to pay for them.

I’m all for a bit of British institution but they do put some crap on. I think I just accept the crap and watch something else. ITV 4 have some good films on free other than that you are looking at paying more out for more crap. 
I think in fairness the BBC has made some good stuff in the past.

I remember quite a few years ago Duracell and I locking horns in a debate about the BBC, he was very pro, I was very anti.

There’s still stuff that cheeses me right off about it, their box ticking, Huw Edwards and his miserable mug, Kuenssberg, Lenny Henry, Mel & Sue, the fact that 5Live uses two commentators to cover a match, what’s that all about ? I could go on but you get the picture. 

I’ve actually got more of the hump with Sky these days. I was thinking the other day, BBC, pay a licence fee - no adverts, ITV, no licence fee - adverts, bloody Sky, large subscription fee and adverts, talk about cake and eating it.

I’ve got to agree with alexxxxx, compared to other subscriptions we’ve got, the BBC, for me, works out pretty favourably value for money wise.

I’ve just finished watching a programme called Mediterranean presented by a fairly young old boy and I found it fascinating, The Repair Shop, love it, they do some quite good stuff these days in fairness.

28 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

I’m all for a bit of British institution but they do put some crap on. I think I just accept the crap and watch something else. ITV 4 have some good films on free other than that you are looking at paying more out for more crap. 
I think in fairness the BBC has made some good stuff in the past.

You can always watch Murdoch's crap instead and pay for the privilege (and the adverts)

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

You should give iplayer a go mate. You can watch loads of great stuff whenever you want. You'll need to connect tv to interweb though.

Mine was renewed last week.

I've thought long and hard the past two years about whether to renew, and it's been a coin flip both times as to whether it gets paid.

Of the BBC's live programming I watch Saturday Kitchen and maybe 3 or 4 Match of the Day's a year plus most of the FA Cup coverage and TMS on the radio whenever England play, but that's it for BBC live output. I do also like Line of Duty so watch that on Iplayer, although it gets put up on Netflix about a year after it's been broadcast anyway. So maybe 200 hours worth of entertainment provided by the BBC per year.

£157.50 for that alone would not be worth it and I'd stop paying it if it were to be a subscription service, but the small amount of sport broadcast on ITV, Channel 4 and the Euros/World Cup coverage is pretty much what keeps it on. Rarely watch any other channel and even then it's as background noise which podcasts, Netflix and Youtube etc can replace.

Given the option, I'd make the BBC a standard subscription service and I might pay it if they put some more decent stuff on. Stupid that you need one to watch ITV, 4 etc and that should be binned off - advertising revenue alone should be able to fund those channels. 

I just watch the football, Wimbledon and golf on the BBC - can't think of anything else I've watched.  My wife would probably miss iPlayer but as we've got Amazon Prime and Netflix we'd happily cancel if given the choice, I'd just get it for a month when the tennis is on!

I think there is an argument to reduce the scope of the bbc in some areas, but I'd argue the news output, local news, radio services and truly public service output is definitely still needed. 

I'd be concerned that general drama and entertainment output in the UK will be even further depleted as the cheaper US imports will be screened over new UK programmes. 

13 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

What's ITV serving up, BGT? Or the classic In For a Penny? Primetime terrestrial TV died a long while ago can't compete with Sky or Netflix

Archived