Fitness Thread

Bubbles

I couldn’t see another thread like this so thought it’d be a cool idea to set one up?

Obviously we’re limited with our outside exercise but I thought it’d be interesting and beneficial for some to discuss what we are doing to keep fit and well during these times.

Any diet plans/food recipies?

Workouts?

Any tips?

And if anyone needs help with anything, feel free to discuss

I hope everyone is staying both mentally and physically well☺️

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12 years of pretty much being able to eat what I like because I go to the gym 3 times a week plus swimming and occasional cycling. After a month or so of being at home, I've worked out that I can't now eat what I like!.

My one exercise per day is used with going for a walk with Miss Wolfie. I did buy a skipping rope to use in the garden but quickly realised I can't skip and it's done something to my foot?

I'm not going mad with food or anything during the day but it's the evening snacks that are doing it - which never used to matter.

Normally gym 3 times a week and a swim keeps it all good. Since lockdown running and cycling but this week did my ankle running on Monday and yesterday trying to stretch did my back so i ll try to keep away from the biscuit tin for a while. If you want to follow some classes fitnessblender (google) is free and and has all sorts of exercise.

what i have found is that  i miss most is probably the swimming, it is boring as duck but such a good exercie to keep it all ticking along. 

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

I've been doing Joe Wicks in the mornings and weirdly enjoying it.

I've also managed to increase my alcohol intake and not put on any weight, so win-win

I hope you will be very happy together. 

39 minutes ago, Pastinaak said:

This is my gym setup so far. You're all jealous of my plyo box. (No eye old school as it should be).

Screenshot_20200501-121118_Gallery.thumb.jpg.369cabf9c912bfb7695b87f16fd71454.jpg

That logo reminds me of the one Daveo came up with for the forum. Looked like a baseball glove. 

Nice tight box though.

I tried one of the DCFC keep fit videos and couldn't move for about three days.

I have now discovered the EFL fit fans videos, which are much better for someone my age - I will stick with those twice a week. 

Also we have walked (nearly) every day - not far 2- 4 miles - so probably doing twice the distance I usually do.

I haven't put any weight on yet.

48 minutes ago, angieram said:

I tried one of the DCFC keep fit videos and couldn't move for about three days.

I have now discovered the EFL fit fans videos, which are much better for someone my age - I will stick with those twice a week. 

Also we have walked (nearly) every day - not far 2- 4 miles - so probably doing twice the distance I usually do.

I haven't put any weight on yet.

?I was like that with the Joe Wicks thing. Me & Miss Wolfie did 15 mins of it on the first day and after all those squats & lunges, my legs were on fire for 2-3 days afterwards. I haven't gone near it since.

I usually do a fair bit of cardio & upper body stuff at the gym but never really do anything with my lower half because I've always had muscular legs from cycling a lot as a youngster. I have to skip leg day, or they'd be tree trunks!

Usually gym 3/4 times a week. Now doing the 100 press up challenge and a bit of running. Missing the gym to be honest and not eating properly (or drinking in moderation) so feeling a bit out of shape ?

On 01/05/2020 at 01:24, Squid said:

I couldn’t see another thread like this so thought it’d be a cool idea to set one up?

Obviously we’re limited with our outside exercise but I thought it’d be interesting and beneficial for some to discuss what we are doing to keep fit and well during these times.

Any diet plans/food recipies?

Workouts?

Any tips?

And if anyone needs help with anything, feel free to discuss

I hope everyone is staying both mentally and physically well☺️

Plenty of good stuff on YouTube.

Jeff Cavalier(don’t know how to spell it)Athlean X is fantastic on tips.

Mike Thurston,as your a younger bloke.

If you want over the top inspiration David Goggins.

Depends what you want really?

I think  @Norman is into his training?Might have some tips.

• 1 month later...

Working from home is improving my activity levels. After the first 4-5 weeks of missing the gym and struggling to find an activity routine - and still eating like I was still going to the gym, meant I put on a few pounds. I've now replaced gym cardio workouts with cycling - a 10-11 mile route, 3 times a week. That, plus the daily walks (2-2.5 miles) with Miss Wolfie.

Checking my fitbit stats last night & I've been more active in the last month than at any time in the 13 months (when I first got the fitbit). Step count, active daily minutes (and active days per week), floors climbed etc are all at the highest they've ever been.

I do miss the weights, though. I've only got resistance bands & not having much success with them.

I tried to do the DCFC fitness workouts and failed miserably. They are too rushed and no proper warm ups or downs. I think they are just a sketch which you're supposed to fill in the detail from yourself. No good for me, when the video stops, I stop! 

Instead I am now doing EFL fit fans, which I think is aimed at unfit or older people. It was very gentle to begin with but is progressing nicely.  I think it works because it is possible for those of us that don't really exercise.

In addition, my daily walking and general step count is up loads just from doing more jobs around the house and garden and I have lost 4 lbs despite increased beer consumption (I only used to drink once a week now it's a glass or two most nights.) 

Along with less hours hunched over a steering wheel or sat at my desk I feel much better in myself. I am beginning to think work is very overrated - to borrow a phrase from elsewhere!

When the weather is nice I’ll cycle a bit.

as I’m still recovering from illness I’m generally limiting it to @5 miles, 10 miles max, 30 -60minutes, but only if the weather is nice.

previously I liked to get out into the countryside which would be 25 miles plus,

my record was 42 miles when I went to Melbourne and elvaston and findern etc, but I haven’t yet found a really comfortable saddle, so that hurts a bit.

currently on starvation rations, approximately 300 calories a day, due to illness, although I might have a grape later on.?

Archived