Clubs going bust !

Seaside Ram

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Seaside Ram said:

Listening to Simon Jordan today got me thinking , If things don't get back to normal soon are any of you genuinely worried that Derby County could go bust ? Will any of the Football League clubs go pop ? These appear to be real questions ! ?

For the other clubs, I don't see how they won't, in all honesty.

For us, I don't even want to think about it, but it can't be an impossibility.

5 minutes ago, Seaside Ram said:

Listening to Simon Jordan today got me thinking , If things don't get back to normal soon are any of you genuinely worried that Derby County could go bust ? Will any of the Football League clubs go pop ? These appear to be real questions ! ?

Yes and Yes. Can't understand the hostility of some fans every time the club does anything that's designed to save money. It's what any business would do. Businesses that make huge profits are cutting costs. Football clubs don't make money at our level - they lose it so I would expect them to be cutting costs wherever they can. 

If it wasn’t for Mels deep pockets we would be bust already. The covid19 situation doesn’t change that for us although it does for a lot of others. If Mel is prepared to wave goodbye to another 20-30 million, we will be fine. If not, it’s game over. Furloughing the non playing staff is just shuffling the chairs on the titanic It won’t make a jot of difference, whilst we are paying the players in full or even 80% of their wages 

A lot depends on the steps taken by the EFL.

If they really are on a war path still and we are found guilty of any wrong doing from last season, we could find ourselves in a very sticky situation next year.

If the EFL decide to protect football, help clubs during the difficult time and see common sense, we could scrape it at the skin of our teeth.

The only gut wrenching thing about all this, I can see us losing Bird, Sibley and Bogle to help.

Why didn’t the clubs collectively agree to furlough all staff including players.

ok they go from 50k a week, or whatever to 2.5k a month 

join the real world. 

4 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Why didn’t the clubs collectively agree to furlough all staff including players.

ok they go from 50k a week, or whatever to 2.5k a month 

join the real world. 

Can't argue with your sentiments but, it is a well known fact that your expenses and commitments tend to increase as your income does.

1 hour ago, Seaside Ram said:

I'm genuinely worried , aren't you ? 

Ps if you can't post an adult sensible answer then don't bother ! 

In fairness, the title is very misleading... My immediate assumption, upon seeing the title, was that at least two clubs had made an announcement of pending doom.
It's amazing what an exclamation mark can do, when a question mark would have been far more appropriate.

Anyway... Yes... The longer this drags on, the more worrying it becomes.  Who knows what Mel is thinking, and how much deeper he is prepared to dig into those pockets of his!

Maybe... just maybe... as this could well threaten the existence of quite a number of clubs... big and small... someone in authority (FA/EFL?) will make arrangements (Temporary relaxing of F&P rules?) to ensure at least the vast majority survive?  I've no idea how that would work though, in all honesty.

First good sign (For us) is that the ongoing talks re players wage deferrals seem to have gone a lot better today.  Whether that proves to be enough on its own, I haven't a clue.

Fingers crossed, eh?  ?

20,000+people have died, 100s of 1000s have lost their jobs, Millions are being Furloughed(including myself)so what if clubs go bust, Businesses are folding by the 100s, No concern of mine, It may sound heartless, But I'll take life over football any day of the week.

As for DCFC, If they fold, I'll still wake up in the Morning and go to bed at night, There's still plenty to do once this virus has been beaten.

8 minutes ago, TramRam said:

20,000+people have died, 100s of 1000s have lost their jobs, Millions are being Furloughed(including myself)so what if clubs go bust, Businesses are folding by the 100s, No concern of mine, It may sound heartless, But I'll take life over football any day of the week.

As for DCFC, If they fold, I'll still wake up in the Morning and go to bed at night, There's still plenty to do once this virus has been beaten.

They're not opposing viewpoints though? You can be worried about your football club, and still concerned with the virus. I don't know how you could compare your football club to just another business, though. 

Archived