FA cup 8th Jan 1983 v Notts Forest

loweman2

Quick question, it was one of those games where everybody says I was there, so if you were can you answer this question and if you were not do you know the answer any way.

we obviously won the game 2-0 on a muddy bbg pitch with our ramshackle team of heroes but did anybody notice the Osmaston End terrace ?

did anybody go in the Ossie End for that game ?

the forward part of the terrace was always open until seating was introduced but in 1983 it was definitely an open terrace as seen in the picture below v Fulham in May 1983.

so why when we played Forest in the January were there fans clearly sitting ? Was seating somehow introduced for just that one game ? Any ideas ?

i was there, I was a thirteen year old lad nearly wetting myself with excitement in the Ley stand with my old man but have no recollection of the Osmaston terracing that day.

any thoughts ?

B0500D1C-251E-4B8F-A0D1-353621AA4F40.thumb.jpeg.7218946d9a320399c5485adff45e1a85.jpeg

29DF938D-C6E6-4617-A30C-BF7D2D77B7E6.png

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

Quick question, it was one of those games where everybody says I was there, so if you were can you answer this question and if you were not do you know the answer any way.

we obviously won the game 2-0 on a muddy bbg pitch with our ramshackle team of heroes but did anybody notice the Osmaston End terrace ?

the forward part of the terrace was always open until seating was introduced but in 1983 it was definitely an open terrace as seen in the picture below v Fulham in May 1983.

so why when we played Forest in the January were there fans clearly sitting ? Was seating somehow introduced for just that one game ? Any ideas ?

i was there, I was a thirteen year old lad nearly wetting myself with excitement in the Ley stand with my old man but have no recollection of the Osmaston terracing that day.

any thoughts ?

B0500D1C-251E-4B8F-A0D1-353621AA4F40.thumb.jpeg.7218946d9a320399c5485adff45e1a85.jpeg

I was there 13 years old on the popside could hardly see anything, very strange that is hopefully someone will be able to tell you the answer, maybe the 6 fingered freaks bought their own seats. 

I was on the Popside. I honestly can't say that I have ever noticed, so obviously can't give you an answer. I do remember it was a typical Forest atmosphere on the Popside, absolutely heaving and when we scored the place went berserk. I miss the Popside ?

Yeah, I was in the popside and, after what we'd been through while the other lot had been winning in Europe, that win meant so much. Great Archie getting the first goal too.

A match to rival that Leeds game we've all been watching today in terms of shear joy. ? 

Oh sorry cannot remember anything about the Ozzie End seats.

Anyone who still has the old newspaper programme for this game will find the answer on page 3.

Derby introduced a family seating area on the Ossie End but decided the remove it after the Forest cup game to increase capacity.

The Forest game was the last time the seats were used and they were taken out before our next home game against Leeds United on the 22nd January.

Some people collect shirts but I collect Derby home programmes. I have everyone for the last 50 years. Good times or bad.

Hope this helps. 

6 hours ago, sheffieldram said:

Anyone who still has the old newspaper programme for this game will find the answer on page 3.

Derby introduced a family seating area on the Ossie End but decided the remove it after the Forest cup game to increase capacity.

The Forest game was the last time the seats were used and they were taken out before our next home game against Leeds United on the 22nd January.

Some people collect shirts but I collect Derby home programmes. I have everyone for the last 50 years. Good times or bad.

Hope this helps. 

Brilliant stuff. It actually annoyed me that I couldn't remember this!

7 hours ago, sheffieldram said:

Hope this helps. 

Good man ! The truth is always out there ! Thanks

On 25/04/2020 at 13:29, uttoxram75 said:

I’ve already spoke to @loweman2 about this. I was ever present that season but mainly on the Popside, I can’t remember seats v Forest but I definitely remember terrace v Fulham at the end of the season...?

I was on the POPSIDE that day and went on the pitch after the final whistle I am sure I climbed over a fence ?

NO chance of climbing a fence nowadays!

I Can't remember why, but somehow we ended up with seats in the upper tear of the Ossie end, which was mainly forest fans. 

We noticed in the first half that there were a few empty seats in the C stand and at half time, got the stewards to let us move there. 

The goals came in the second half, god knows what would have kicked off, if we'd have stayed with the forest fans. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/04/2020 at 13:19, loweman2 said:

any thoughts ?

I was there

I was there too (16), with my elder brother (18) on the Popside. Pretty sure this was the game where, because everyone was pushing toward the front, they opened the gates in the fencing which (obviously!) encouraged more pushing from the back as people now wanted to get on the pitch to celebrate.

My brother and I did our best to protect a young lad from getting crushed - he was understandably very grateful once we got him on the pitch. It could have been a disaster as at one point we couldn't see this boy. He was just squashed between us. Six years later - Hillsborough☹️

Archived