Eredivise Season Scrapped

David

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, David said:

The government’s decision to extend a ban on public events until September 1 in an effort to prevent a new wave of COVID-19 cases brought a premature close to the league campaign, which was suspended last month due to the pandemic.

Didn't EUFA say there could be exceptional cases for some leagues, The EFL and EPL will be looking closely at this if they haven't already.

This has been coming ever since their government banned major sporting events until September. Interesting they’ve declared it null and void though, after other leagues have suggested finishing with the current standings. Personally I think the Null and Void approach is the most fair, but there’s gotta be some consistency.

In reality, it’s a easy decision to make. This seasons games have not been played in full so there can’t be a winner or loser end of story. If you want a “winner” of the season, let the two top teams play a Grand Final and give the trophy to the winner. Really the only reason comps are still trying to hang on, is the money they will lose from broadcasters.

5 hours ago, Stagtime said:

In reality, it’s a easy decision to make. This seasons games have not been played in full so there can’t be a winner or loser end of story. If you want a “winner” of the season, let the two top teams play a Grand Final and give the trophy to the winner. Really the only reason comps are still trying to hang on, is the money they will lose from broadcasters.

Not true. There is the fact teams will all have their own agenda. In England the teams in the Championship who should be coming up, or Leicester who want their place in the Champions League. 

Also it loses some of the prestige if suddenly we can just claim the season we just spent 6 months listening to how pivotal / amazing etc is...can then just be ditched. 

32 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Not true. There is the fact teams will all have their own agenda. In England the teams in the Championship who should be coming up, or Leicester who want their place in the Champions League. 

Also it loses some of the prestige if suddenly we can just claim the season we just spent 6 months listening to how pivotal / amazing etc is...can then just be ditched. 

Know what you are saying but the reality of the situation is this virus isn’t going to clean itself up quickly and I believe soon the EPL have to start looking to re-set for next season. How will the Champions League go with some League’s calling the season null and void and others hanging onto a slim hope they can play at some stage. I’ve got no idea, it just seems it could end up a real mess. There will be winners and losers from the situation which ever way you go, I can imagine what Villa would think if they went down with a game still in hand. To me the cleanest way seems to be what the Dutch have decided. 

Only fair way is to void it. Points per game isn't fair. If your in a relegation fight it depends who you've played twice. Or home & away up to now. You might be in the bottom three but have an 'easy' run in. It isn't easy to get back out of the championship & the money the relegated clubs would lose. 

Leeds arnt guaranteed to go up, they are bottlers & Fulham have Leeds & WBA still to play. Its not impossible to be caught. In league one Oxford are two points off Rotherham. Oxford have won the last 5 could easily have caught them. 

Not every solution that has been put forward suits every club

Archived